AF: Ram 700 for Mexico and Latin markets | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ram 700 for Mexico and Latin markets

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by true_rt, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Well, duh. It was a rebadged Fiat Strada before, too. They did a decent job on the front.

2. mrkovash

mrkovash Active Member

If this is offered in america i would buy it tomorrow! It is a perfect size

Citation84 likes this.
  3. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

Damn, I want one and I am not even sure why.. Looks great!

Citation84 likes this.
  4. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

until you realize its like the size of a Dart pickup, fwd, and uses tiny engines. lol

That said; might work for our little family. We love the Rams, but we don't need [as much as we want it] a giant 1500; we have our suburban for towing big stuff now [it's an 89, but it was 'free' and I like the square-bodys anyway].. a little trucklet like this would be good for around-towning and hauling of our itty bitty trash trailer(towed it with our recently sold Patriot)

if they took that setup and made it into a Renegade pickup [like the concept], I'd be 100% sold. lol - Though a quad-cab pickup on the Renegade might be .. interesting to build. e.O

#5 suzq044, Oct 9, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    Deckard_Cain and Dave Z like this.
  5. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

Bed looks completely unusable, maybe get a case of beer back there? Silly looking car with a silly pickup gimmick.

They'll probably do well with this.

6. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

They may sell a few here, but the 2.0 turbo and AWD would have to be available here. A Compass pickup. If gas was 4 bucks a gallon they would sell, but as long as it's under 2, not so much.

jclick and tabutler like this.
  7. tabutler

tabutler Active Member

I would go for the Toro, with this front end. They need to add about a foot to the bed.

8. WXman

WXman Active Member

On social media, this thing is getting HAMMERED by negativity. I wish they hadn't put the Ram name on it. My unpopular opinion: It's ugly as ****, not very practical, and I'm not sure what the purpose really is.

NWbyNW and Tony K like this.
  9. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

While carrying a case of beer is no big deal by itself, I’m quite sure one would be able to carry two cases of beer back there. In fact, according to the pics, one can fit two thirds of a bicycle in the bed! :rolleyes: Oh boy.......

10. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

The purpose is to be used by people that maybe have different needs than the ones commenting in social media. Maybe looking a little bit out of their personal space, habits or neighbour it could be useful :)

Someone using it to transport onions ang garlic for about 200 miles on the new Strada.
    Well they charged too much weight since maximum payload is 720 kg for that version (including driver and passanger) while they are carrrying about 1000 kg + the weight of the persons, so about 400 kg more than allowed (maybe is that the reason they have no plate when showing the vehicle from outside).
    It is a version with the 1.3 Firefly engine.

Cargo space can be extended, well at least in the countries where is legal to drive with tailgate down.

patfromigh and tlc like this.
  11. suzq044

That's exactly it. It wasn't designed for Americans. Americans like their as big as they can get it truck. Mostly.

finc.jb likes this.
  12. dakrt99

dakrt99 Well-Known Member

Horrible.

13. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

I guess people completely miss the point that this is a developing country small pick-up. This would never do well in the US or Europe. In fact it would only decrease Ram's brand perception.
    In Brazil or Mexico though? This is just what's needed for low-income workers.

suzq044, finc.jb, UN4GTBL and 5 others like this.
  14. mrkovash

mrkovash Active Member

That is basically all i need.

15. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

It doesn’t have to be a supersized truck for me personally. I’d be more in the market for something Gladiator or Ranger sized, more so than a full size pickup. But the bed on this looks pretty small...or rather short...even by my standards. I don’t doubt that some may find it useful. I guess it all depends on what you want to use it for primarily. And I suppose one would have to see it in person to gauge overall size and dimensions when considering potential usefulness...pictures can be deceiving.

16. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

The Dart is a C-segment vehicle. The Strada is based on the A-segment platform.

They did, the Compass, Renegade and Fiat Toro share the same SUSW platform. (Or whatever they call that platform today.) Much of the Doblo/Ram PMC uses the platform. FCA has the know how, they could build a Renegade cab-chassis for global consumption and sell it here as well. Perhaps FCA could take the Toro and simply put the Compass front clip on it.

#17 patfromigh, Oct 10, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    Mr. Fusion and Deckard_Cain like this.
  17. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

For a point of reference, the Ram Promaster City, which is sold elsewhere as the long wheelbase Fiat Doblo, has a wheelbase of 122", and a cargo compartment length of 87" with 48" between the wheel wells. I know the PMC is a van and they don't import the cab-chassis or WorkUp versions, but this illustrates what the SUSW platform can be in size.

There probably aren't enough people like me to justify a business case for a pickup truck on the PMC's 122" wheelbase with the Strada/ Ram 700 styling or the 2016 Jeep Comanche concept.(Inside Design: The 2016 Jeep® Comanche Concept Pickup: - Mopar Insiders (at https://moparinsiders.com/inside-design-the-2016-jeep-comanche-concept-pickup/ )) I would like it to have a PHEV version or at least the GME with a mild hybrid setup.

XRT2SRT and Mr. Fusion like this.
  18. suzq044

My point was more that it's not exactly as big as it looks in pics.

And I meant in the skin, I'd love it to look like the Renegade.
    quick.jpg

tlc, patfromigh, Zagnut27 and 3 others like this.
  19. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Well-Known Member

This should be marketed in developing Asian markets too.
    And a bigger version wouldn’t go amiss too.