AF: RAM DAKOTA TRADEMARK FILING | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAM DAKOTA TRADEMARK FILING

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Fast Eddie, May 6, 2020.

1. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Ford Ranger worldwide sold in 2019 354k vehicles, not bad at all.
    Well than to differentiate it, put in front an indipendent suspension and at the back a suspension with leaf springs.
    It will be than different from the Jeep.
    Rear suspension with leaf spring is what is used for midsize pickups worldwide. It allows lower costs and higher payload.

jclick, Chris mopar and ScramFan like this.
  2. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

One of the best looking pickups ever !

3. Chris mopar

Chris mopar Well-Known Member

Then add at least 2 cab choices(not removable), 2wd standard and a lower starting price. Going by rumors I believe this is what FCA has in mind.

jclick, freshforged and MJAB like this.
  4. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

If there’s any spare room on the 1500 line, I’d want them to move the HDs from Saltillo rather than shoehorn something that much smaller into the same space. I’m thinking it might make more sense volume wise to co-locate with the Gladiator, even if it sports a significantly changed architecture from the Jeep. At least the pallets would be similar sized potentially making integration on the line easier.

5. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Das folgt.

6. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Let's not confuse things with a Mercedes by using a term that close to "G Wagen" which is what they call the G series (Geländewagen).

My parking space out and about here in the Indy area isn't particularly problematic. You can park a full-size pickup or van in many parking garages downtown even (nevermind the imbeciles who painted the lines at the State Fairgrounds in places not big enough for a standard car). COSTCO has enough space to park H1 HUMMERS inside the lines PLUS an 18 inch gap between parking spaces. It's parking in the garage in my 42 YO house where a full-size pickup is a problem.

I don't think so. I think people are hearing the price of Gladiator and assuming those $33,500 price tags are going to carry over to a Dakota. Not necessarily so. Those things are overbuilt for what we need in a Dakota.

Given what we can do now with a 2500 rear coil suspension, and what Ranger has done with it, and what Osh-Kosh has done with it, I'll pass on going backward to wagon springs. It will only get cheaper and better.

Dave Z likes this.
  7. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Uhm, no.

Metric ton pick up. Like Made in Mexico for world wide consumption under different badges.

ScramFan likes this.
  8. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

The Dakota was made in the same plant as the 1500.

9. freshforged

Yes, and I think that contributed to it’s demise. Not only was it not selling well, but it prevented them from making more 1500 which had a better return.

10. WXman

WXman Active Member

The thing that differentiated the former Dakota from the competition was that it (for a long time anyhow) was slightly larger than the others and it had more powerful engines (V8).

Well, the size difference won't be possible, but they certainly could give it engine options that are not available anywhere else in the segment and they SHOULD do that, in my opinion to set this truck apart.

I love the Gladiator and I love my 2020 Ram EcoDiesel, but if somehow the stars aligned and they built a Dakota with a V8 again, or at least a strong turbo-6, I'd be all over that.

cdjr77 likes this.
  11. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

A Dakota or a Gladiator with a V8....whoa....yeah, either would be hard to say no to.

12. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

The second generation was not the case. The third was just too close to the 1500. Only they know how long the DS will continue, and my guess is the Dakota may show up when it's done. They can't justify spending all that cash for low volume Wagoneers. Either that, or the Dakota and DS combined, plus Wagoneers will fill the plant.

freshforged likes this.
  13. WXman

WXman Active Member

The last time I sat in a new Dakota back in 2005, the thing I remember is that the interior was the worst I'd ever seen in any vehicle in my life. The plastic was hard as a rock, the gauges were ugly as sin, even the upper trims were stone age basic, and it was just a miserable place to be. And then I step out and see that horrendous front end with the bug-eye look and those terrible tail lights that looked like they came right out of a J.C. Whitney catalog. And then I glanced at the window sticker and see that it's $30k for a mid-trim 4x4, while the Ram 1500 next to it is on sale for $28k in mid-trim 4x4. It was just shocking to me.

I'll never forget that. The mid-size truck that once ruled the category in all those interior, exterior, and performance categories was suddenly the truck I'd walk right past. It was a shock to me. And that's when I realized the Dakota's days were numbered because if Dodge would let something like that roll off the line they clearly didn't care about the model anymore.

14. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Inside Dakota wasn't really any worse than a lot of DCX vehicles of that era. It's just that many other nameplates lived long enough and sold well enough to get better interiors or be replaced with a new design.
    I think the 2008 restyle helped Dakota a lot, though not enough.

15. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

I had a '99 Dakota and loved it, but when I shopped for a comparable next generation I decided it was too big, too expensive, and too unattractive, so there was no reason to buy one. This is what I wanted to replace.

99 Dakota left side (2).JPG

16. freshforged

That’s very nice. If I could have found one in decent condition around here that would be my ride instead of the Ranger.

17. Clark

Clark Member

page2171 and thebluegoat like this.
  18. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

Something needs to happen, soon! I keep trying to rationalize buying a RAM 1500 but it has proven to be just too much metal for my needs. I drive them at work and see other full-size pick-up trucks jutting out of parking spaces that were created for a much smaller vehicle some 50 yrs prior. I really love what GLADIATOR offers but "it" doesn't offer me the best cab/bed configuration desired....

GaryS likes this.
  19. freshforged

That’s why I went used—that and I found a real nicely maintained Ranger.