Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ram HD 6.4

Discussion in 'Ram, pickups, commercial trucks' started by Shane Estabrooks, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

Those of you that have a 6.4 or interested ... Post what you know or what you want to know here. I have posted a few comments under 6.4 in the dealer section but am going to try and paste them here. I have 22,000 Kms on my 6.4 and nothing but impressed with it. Remember like in every other forum pictures are a must... Lol
    Boys with Ram.jpg

2. Shane Estabrooks

Well have been comparing notes with co-workers that have a diesel trucks. The fuel mileage Im getting with the 6.4 is raising the eyebrows of dieselers but when it comes to towing heavy loads.. they win. Now that the 6.4 has been out for awhile, wondering how it compares to Ford and chevy HD gas trucks?

Having all synthetic oil in this truck has paid for itself this winter, It was -40 c and with the windchill -50 some... I had the truck plugged in with a 250 watt heater on trans oil pan and same on engine oil pan plus the block heater. At 5 am when I started the truck... she screemed like as if she wasn't plugged in, but only for a few seconds. Lots of vehicals didn't start and a few people were late for work but all the Rams showed up on time.
    [​IMG]

Well have to say that this 6.4 is awesome as compared to the 5.7... but not a fare compare. The 5.7 with 545RFE would boog down in some situations, but in the same situations the 6.4 with 66RFE is awesome. Pulling strong to get through all that snow. I bet with the new 8 speed behind the 5.7 would improve on it... How bout a 8 speed for the 6.4 eh?

These are the posts from the dealer hang out "6.4" I just copy and pasted them here. Please ask, comment, or answer any questions. Thanks
    Shane

W6PEA and MoparNorm like this.
  3. Shane Estabrooks

For those of you that do live in sub zero climates and want to save on Electricity and fuel. This is a good summer project to be prepared for next winter. These heating pads use less wattage then a block heater, only need 2 hours of plug in time and use less idle time to warm up your vehicle. Scrap a patch of paint off the oil pan, resin glue the pad to pan and run cord... Done https://www.wolverineheater.com/category-s/1477.htm here's one glued to my Transpan, have one on the engine oil pan too. At -40c my truck warmed up in about 5 to 10 min depending on the wind... saved a lot on fuel. Shane :cool:

250 watt pad.jpg

Hounddog likes this.
  4. Shane Estabrooks

20150419_163813_resized.jpg This is what we woke up too... Ice fishing season just got extended.

W6PEA and MoparNorm like this.
  5. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

75 here Monday, snow on Tuesday, rain today, looks like Winter doesn't want to leave.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  6. Shane Estabrooks

We just got hit with more snow again... I think it's making up for the 3' of snow we didn't get this winter. The snow was almost all gone and wham... if this keeps up we'll be snowshoeing in May.

7. Ram2500HD

Ram2500HD Member

Where are you located with such cold weather?

8. Shane Estabrooks

Northern Manitoba.. 300 miles south of the Polar Bears... lol

9. Ram2500HD

Ram2500HD Member

Wow now I see why its so cold where you are. A engine block heater & synthetic fluids are the norm where you are.

10. W6PEA

W6PEA "Old Jarhead"
    Level III Supporter

I know this is an old post but I just stumbled on to it. I don't need the engine heater. People here complain that it's cold when it get down to 68 degrees :oops: :eek:
    Let it rain and you should watch them drive(from a safe distance) Some of them drive like it's a 3 Ring Circus.

11. Shane Estabrooks

Lol.. from a safe distance.. I like that.. imagine them on glare ice... ba ha ha.. off course from a safe distance :p

W6PEA likes this.
  12. Shane Estabrooks

So has anyone here done any upgrades to there 6.4 Hemi truck engine? I'm thinking a Flowmaster y-pipe and exhaust is in order and maybe the intake can be more breathable but have not seen any aftermarket for the intake area yet. With the daul intake set up from factory, not sure if it's upgradeable. I wonder if "better"(E3's for exsample) spark plugs will make a differance?
    What I would like to achive is the MDS to activate more often... resulting in better fuel MPG. Not so sure about tuners yet but looking at the Diablo unit, not sure of anything else out there.

13. Shane Estabrooks

Just got back from Holidays... Was on the I-90 from Buffalo to just north of Chicago ... 6.4 Hemi at interstate speeds in 9500 lbs truck at 14 liters per 100 kms, which is 17 mpg US or 20 mpg Canadian.. but all in for the total trip of 9000 Kms we averaged 17.5 liters per 100 kms including 4X4ing in Northerm Mb and Ont. Totally impressed... there are some 1500 or 150's that can't even get that. Ya eh!!!

14. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

I was hoping you were gonna give an update. Seems like you are real happy with the truck. Hope it continues to be everything you need.

W6PEA and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  15. Ram2500HD

Ram2500HD Member

Wow you live in a brutal winter climate. I hope your truck takes good care of you.

16. Shane Estabrooks

This Truck was born into -40 the day it was Delivered in Jan of 2014, Keeps us warm in the winter and big smiles in the summer or at least the tires look like we'ved had a lot of smiles :)
    The average fuel were I live is 25l/100km in summer and about 28 in winter but when visiting the big cities and driving there for week I get better mileage due to less stops and starts.
    Very Happy with this truck and it's abilities ... a truck that fits the life style of Northern Canada. While in Northern Ont. Visiting Family, my dad's first comment was how quite and smooth the ride was.
    My brothers test drive was "would be easy to speed in this truck" and Brother-in-law from new Zealand had perm-a-grin after 4X4ing.

somber likes this.
  17. Shane Estabrooks

Things I do not like about this truck, mostly the rear middle seat with it cut out makes for a uncomfortable long ride. Hope you get that comment Ram Engineers. The center console is hard for a front passenger to keep feet in comfort, My wife hates climbing in and out so I'm thinking of getting running boards from AMP Ind. Going to need something to climb in and out of the box with... that is not getting easier. Rotating the tires is a work out but cool with that. While driving in the States I noticed that the fuel pumps keep the trigger lock, try fueling that big tank at -40 with no trigger lock.... burrrr.

18. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Yeah, the center cut out in the seat makes no sense to me, and is hard to put a child seat there.

19. Shane Estabrooks

I think it's due to drink holders... which could be attached to the rear of the middle seat and one each on the doors.. not down between the legs.

20. Shane Estabrooks

Tramping through the Boreal Forest with caution, the bog in front of the truck would have had me sunk to the fenders. I stuck a stick in it and about 2 1/2 feet down it's still frozen. Quads and side by sides do great in this type of slop but big heavy trucks... not.

Attached Files: