Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ram HD 6.4

Discussion in 'Ram, pickups, commercial trucks' started by Shane Estabrooks, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Yeah, now that I think about it, the Colt was the only other Dodge model with a Mitsubishi engine (that I remember anyway).

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  2. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

Found it on Allpar... 1993 Dodge Colt .. and there was a 1.5 and a 1.6 engine .. cool. To bad that car got totaled by a kid with no drivers licence in a big car, I remember looking at it after and one could reach into the back seat with the doors closed, just so happy my wife walked away from that.

3. Shane Estabrooks

20151005_152148 (585x640).jpg
    So this is my new Tire and Wheels, which only cost 231 dollars more than replacing the 4 -285/75R17. The 18" rubber is a lot cheaper than 17" of the same height. The rims are off a loaded HD which are 18" polished Aluminum. My dealer gave me a awesome deal on the combo. The Tires are Toyo C/T's at 275/70R18 winter rated AT's and stud-able. The only issue is the rims are a standard offset so now fender flares stick out a mile as compared to my BlackRocks. So now it is time to save up for a more aggressive Mud/Snow tire to put on the black rims for those hunting and fishing trips... :-D

W6PEA likes this.
  4. Shane Estabrooks

20151005_191943.jpg

Bling...Jewelry

PCRMike likes this.
  5. Ram2500HD

Ram2500HD Member

Love that new tire & rim rim package !

6. Shane Estabrooks

2016-01-03 16.40.25_resized.jpg
    While out walking in the Boreal Forest.. we spotted this animal searching for pray.... but lucky for the pray... they couldn't get that far into the Boreal Forest. Silver feet with a silky brown coat ... kinda looks like a wolverine... lol

PCRMike likes this.
  7. Shane Estabrooks

Question to all 2500HD owners, have you ever noticed the fuel mileage these trucks make when idling in the winter? It was -30c the other day and I started the truck before work... about 10 min later I went out to go to work and I had left the display on fuel mileage with it reset to 0 before I parked it... WTF I couldn't believe what I was seeing, something like 64 liters per 100 Kms... I thought this truck had a fuel management system which I think only kicks in when towing. If someone has some incite on this would be much appreciated.

8. Shane Estabrooks

This winter my truck is all built up with ice under it... due to the super mild weather and the ABS/Traction control failed. Needs new modules, they ordered the parts but when my truck went in they could not fix due to two parts that work together need to be replaced together. Also the power steering went too and parts on order for that too. After watching the extreme testing these trucks went through maybe where I live is more extreme then Michigan... about a 1000 miles north of them. Ford test there vehicle's up here maybe Ram should too.

9. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Have been wondering if you have any updates on these issues. Just overall been curious if you are still enjoying that 6.4l Hemi

10. Shane Estabrooks

Love the 6.4.. so awesome for what we do and for 7000+lb truck.. it does not to bad on fuel... still having issues with ABS but that is a technician issue not a parts issue...dropped the truck off this morning after work. hope it is fixed, theirs no cruise control without ABS. It is amazing how well the truck drives on the winter roads with all working parts. I won't let anyone else drive without the ABS... offroad that is.
    I'll have to start a "where has your truck taking you" post lol ...ok so here's a picture of my son and truck at North Grassy River near Wintering Lake in Northern Manitoba Canada, in the middle of nowhere, no phone service, just the Boreal Forest and some awesome fishing.
    2016-07-05 14.35.58_1467747807702_resized.jpg 2016-07-05 14.38.47_1467747807436_resized.jpg

W6PEA, Devildodge and somber like this.
  11. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Thanks for the update. I really wish I had been able to get the 6.4 instead of the cummins.

Looks like an awesome trip.

Hopefully sometime soon I can do some serious traveling, for now we are rediscovering Pennsylvania with our kids.

Hoping to get out camping this weekend.

Thanks again for the update.

12. Shane Estabrooks

To update the ABS even more... I was told that the last time they tried fixing this it was a sync issue between modules but this time I was told that a part has been on backorder since the last time... so with that said here is the small issues that I think are a result of this ABS on the frits. The traction control is connected so it doesn't work, the cruise control doesn't work and I'm getting funny shifts in the 66RFE at certain speeds but mostly on decelerating. So the ABS is still not fixed due to a part backorder and that has been 6 months I think. Hope this doesn't turn into a big issue.

13. Shane Estabrooks

Were lucky that we do not have to go far to have awesome trips... one just has to have an awesome truck to get to those places because there connected with winter roads and those winter roads are not maintained in our short summers. Lucky for us not many people get to these spots to hunt or fish ... because they do not have an awesome truck... :D

somber and Devildodge like this.
  14. Shane Estabrooks

I have to say it's been about a 2 months or so since my truck has been completely fixed up and everything is work right. Have done a few trips in the bush and love the capability of this Ram. The weak spot on these trucks with the 6.4 is the 66RFE so I have been keeping a log of the trans temps as we use it for all the things we do. Like light off-roading, towing, hauling fully loaded and a couple hard off-roads, highway cruising and city driving. What I have noticed is that while the trans is in tow/haul mode the temperatures are fine, for example when light off-road on the winter roads and not in tow/haul mode the temps got the highest. On the log I'm keeping track of the truck temp and using a laser temp gun on the trans pan. The truck temp hardly changes at all but what a difference with the laser gun from the oil pan. I think looking into an upgraded valve body for this trans will be beneficial. Any comments or experience on this topic would be much appreciated.

somber likes this.
  15. Shane Estabrooks

Old rail bed trip.jpg

This picture was taken near home on an old rail bed with two of my boys and one friend of there's. We went through wash outs and beaver flooded parts. Found some very nice rocky areas so that we could shred the rear tires down the cords. Loaded up on chickens, went fishing but spent most of the day 4x4ing. The best part was on the way home listening to the boys talking about how much fun they had that day.

W6PEA and Devildodge like this.
  16. Shane Estabrooks

North of 56 parallel.jpg

This picture was taken above the 56 parallel. My youngest boy and I went through a lot to get here and only got a couple chickens... but getting there was a blast.

Devildodge likes this.
  17. Shane Estabrooks

North at 55th parallel.jpg

Exploring around the 55th parallel and found a cool place to go fishing near Williams river... and tons of trails.

18. Ram2500HD

Ram2500HD Member

Ram should hire you on the payroll as part of their real world everyday user Cold/Extreeme weather testing. The heck with that lab testing hoopla!

19. Shane Estabrooks

I like your idea... put in a good word for me... lol. First issue is change the temp scale in the truck so I know how cold it is when the temp drops below -40c

20. Tater's Dad

Tater's Dad Active Member

Looks like you guys have a lot of fun.... it gets cold here, but I am not too sure that I could deal with the cold you get out there. We see the odd day of -40c but nothing like Manitoba.... it's been a rotten winter for you folks out there.