Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ram HD 6.4

Discussion in 'Ram, pickups, commercial trucks' started by Shane Estabrooks, Mar 2, 2015.

1. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

Looks like you had fun, but -40c is too cold for me. Growing up in Wisconsin I could handle cold weather, but 3 year in Okinawa have ruined me...50F feels cold now.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  2. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

It's easy to dress up for -40 but at +40 we just jump in the lakes that the ice just came off of... ha ha.
    The cold here is dry.. meaning that you don't realize how cold it is until it's to late. If you live in -30 c temp but with humidity is the worst... chills to the bone. We snowshoe in the -30's and it's just nice in the thick forest. Until you walk into the wind. We do have lost of fun here... because we love the outdoors.

somber likes this.
  3. Shane Estabrooks

I think -40c and -40F are the same temp.. also I think Wisconsin is where Ram cold weather test there trucks. I guess we adapt to what we have... 50F sounds warm... lol. Okinawa Island is where you moved to?... wow must be like tropical.

4. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

I'm in the Marine Corps and am stationed here in Okinawa. It is a sub-tropical island, so it is pretty warm year round. 50F feels cold here because we spend the summer living through 90F, and we have humidity all year.

W6PEA and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  5. Shane Estabrooks

So what kind of Mopars do you drive? Is there lots of WW11 jeeps and trucks there to restore? Lucky you for being stationed there and good on you for serving your country.

6. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

Well, I own a 2012 Grand Caravan that has been in storage since I came to Okinawa. Mopars are very uncommon here, although I do see them once in a while. So, I bought a Toyota and a Nissan that we'll drive until we leave. There aren't a whole lot of WW2 Jeeps or trucks here either. I think they have rusted away. Rust is an issue here because of the salt that is always in the air from being surrounded by ocean. Even with the older style Jeeps I see, I have to look carefully at them because many of them are Mitsubishi Jeeps, looking exactly like a CJ-3B, but with a Mitsubishi logo on the grill.

7. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Thanks for the updates. I am still leaning towards a 6.4 l Hemi as the replacement for the Ole V10, but Mopar keeps coming out with such cool stuff I have no idea where my lottery winnings will be spent. Ha ha

8. Shane Estabrooks

Wish I had video's of me towing out trucks ... we just got hit by a huge blizzard Back window of Shop.jpg
    This is the back window of my Shop... the sill is 5' above ground on the outside.:eek:

wtxiceman, somber and Devildodge like this.
  9. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Wow. That is awesome. That intrests me more than ICE lol. Have fun.

10. Shane Estabrooks

Over 80cm of snow ... winds up to 70k.. and today it's -40 and -50's with the windchill... all the streets are goat trails with the snow rock hard... we are having fun:D

somber and Devildodge like this.
  11. Shane Estabrooks

IMG_1247.jpg
    We had to let the dogs out the front door to do there business...:p

12. Shane Estabrooks

Just to let you know ... if anyone follows the ice road truckers .. there in Thompson and stranded here.... :D The roads are open now... but it was funny hearing about that.

Tater's Dad, somber and Devildodge like this.
  13. Shane Estabrooks

so here's some pictures of the weekend of April 8th and 9th... had a blast. Tow time.jpg Winter road.jpg nothing but smiles.jpg break time.jpg

14. Tater's Dad

Tater's Dad Active Member

Looks like you were having lots of fun.
    We are just about done with our snow - close to 20c here today.... but cooling off for the rest of the week.

I tried to get out ice fishing this year, but where we fish, we could not get the truck on the ice for the shack - it was too soft. The river never did completely freeze over this year - the Saint John River that is.

15. Tater's Dad

Tater's Dad Active Member

I was talking to friends of ours in Gander (last weekend)- they are not having fun. Their yard looks much like yours!

16. Shane Estabrooks

Well one knows that fun was had by listening to a wife mad about the condition of the truck... full of mud inside and out... ha ha... she refuses to get in the truck. Temp here is between -15 and +5, will be going down hill skiing again this weekend... we call it Slush fest, come on weekend ..can't wait. Maybe I'll find my front license plate this weekend if enough snow melts.
    Tater's Dad, I have friends somewhere near Gander too... small world eh!

Tater's Dad likes this.
  17. Shane Estabrooks

Winter road tow.jpg
    On this winter road there is portages between lakes and the mud was knee deep so I had to tow my friends truck through these areas.

wtxiceman, somber and Devildodge like this.
  18. Shane Estabrooks

This part was fun.. towed up the other truck. The ice is still over 2 feet thick and the transitions between lakes and trails was still solid... good thing. Lake to trail.jpg :p

somber likes this.
  19. Shane Estabrooks

Another awesome weekend of down hill skiing.. but here is Monday morning on the way to work ... burr April 17th -26.jpg -26... waiting in driveway for frost on the inside to clear off

somber likes this.
  20. Shane Estabrooks

Last week of Ice fishing... Ice is still over 3' thick... have to throw back a lot of females full of eggs... but in 2 hours we had 10-15 fish, only kept 5 though.

On another note my truck engine light is going on and off ... seems like the tranny again, better be something simple. Truck is at the doctors today.