AF: Ram is the world's best luxury vehicle. | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ram is the world's best luxury vehicle.

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by LeeRyder, Jan 23, 2020.

1. LeeRyder

LeeRyder Well-Known Member

2. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Not surprised. It wasn’t that long ago that Mercedes was going to build a truck (that wasn’t geared towards “fat cowboys”), so there was perhaps interest in developing a luxury truck. Lincoln had one at one time IIRC. And Cadillac had a pickup version of Escalade too at one point IIRC. Ram just did it better.

3. TheViking

TheViking Active Member

The Lincoln Blackwood. And it was definitely NOT geared towards cowboys, or anybody else apparently. I have heard the Jeep Grand Cherokee often referred to as the "Cowboy Cadillac".

Zagnut27 likes this.
  4. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

Mercedes did build a truck but it's sold outside of the U.S. by their Vans division and is just a rebadged Nissan Navara. It has largely been a flop. RAM did it right; there's no room for luxury badges in this segment.

AvengerGuy, suzq044, UN4GTBL and 2 others like this.
  5. HEMI345

HEMI345 Active Member

When its come to the trucks, i see RAM as the best in the World.

6. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

BMW and Mercedes are not luxury brands, they are premium brands.

The luxury brand of Daimler is Mercedes-Maybach, the one of BMW is Rolls-Royce.

7. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Here is the truck I was referring to, it had been discussed at one point in one of the threads here a few years ago. Their (Daimler’s) statement that the truck wouldn’t be for “fat cowboys” was kinda ridiculous.

Then I suppose this award should be for best premium brand then?

8. jclick

jclick Well-Known Member

Ok in my world, BMW and Mercedes are Luxury. Rolls and Maybach would be ultra/super luxury. Im betting most people in the US feel this way.

LeeRyder, tlc, Tin Man 2 and 4 others like this.
  9. superduckie5000

superduckie5000 THE MAD DUCK
    Level III Supporter

I Hope No One Let's this Honor go to Their Head.
    Getting It was the Easy Part !
    Staying the Best is the HARD Part !
    Please No One get Fat, Dumb and Happy, !

10. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

That remark is a really good reminder why...after all these years...I still feel the way I do about Damnliar-Benz.

(I refer to The Damnliar-Benz Occupation): NEVER AGAIN!

#10 77 Monaco Brougham, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    Tony K, AvengerGuy, brewdad and 8 others like this.
  11. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

...and in my world Buick and Chrysler is luxury.

12. FThorn

FThorn Well-Known Member

Agreed.
    Luxury are the uber-brands/cars.
    IMO, most of what normal folks can touch, are (again IMO) NEAR-luxury.
    I'd be hard pressed to include BMW in Luxury. I have driven the X7, and even saw it before it was revealed (in person)... and that is the ONLY vehicle I would deem worthy of Luxury title, imo. It's amazing. And crazy super-sporty to drive. [yeah, so is Trackhawk, sporty]

Bentley Bentayga, Rolls Cullinan, Maybach sure.

Now, as trucks go, the RAM Longhorn, which I've also sampled, has interesting interior appointments; not all of which most people would consider part and parcel with luxury. But Texans sure might. Barbed-wire design on floor mats; mail pouch/saddle bags in seat backs.

13. LeeRyder

LeeRyder Well-Known Member

Stay focused, for ANY every day pick up to out luxury (regardless of what you may deem luxury to mean) an S Class Mercedes benz is a remarkable feat.

Tony K, AvengerGuy, Zagnut27 and 2 others like this.
  14. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I think the whole definition of luxury/non-luxury is evolving.

On the one hand we have Ram, Dodge, Jeep offering $80,000 models. On the other, we have Mercedes, BMW, Audi selling $30,000 models. Meanwhile, the customer experience you receive buying a $80,000 Jeep Trackhawk is about the same as when you buy a $25,000 Compass; while the dealer treatment you get on a $30,000 CLA is the same if you bought a $100,000 S-Class.

Branding, rebates, leasing, fluidity in the definition of “quality,” are all blurring the lines between luxury and non-luxury like never before, creating both business opportunities and threats.

Price alone doesn’t determine what is and isn’t luxury any more, just like size stopped defining luxury 40 years ago, and quality stopped being a requirement in luxury 20 years ago.

IMO, FCA is missing the opportunity to frame $80,000 Rams and $65,000 Jeeps as real luxury by refusing to back up those products with the levels of customer service buyers expect at those prices.

15. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Whole world except US are calling these respective segments premium and luxury. FCA has both premium and luxury brands.

Even FCA and PSA in their joint document has called DS and Alfa Romeo as premium brand while Maserati was labelled as luxury.

@MJAB has right on this subject.

ScramFan likes this.
  16. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Well, if a Ram is considered luxury, then the upcoming Grand Wagoneer should do well, since Ram type amenities will find their way into it.

Zagnut27, wtxiceman and suzq044 like this.
  17. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

Guys... Its Mainstream, Premium (or Near Luxury), and Luxury

Mercedes and BMW are Luxury brands like it or not. They do offer "Premium" Choices in B/C Segments, Yet they do have Luxury offering in the D-F Segments. I Will never all a 5-8 Series E/S Class a Premium Car. Buick Regal? Acura RL? Yea Premium.

By the way if you read the Article, It States that the Longhorn Trim of the 1500 wins the award, not Ram as a whole.

18. TheViking

TheViking Active Member

I will say that our local Acura dealer has the whole impress-the-wife thing down pat. Most of our other local dealers could take lessons from their customer service skills. Even if they are robbing you blind, you feel good about it :D

AvengerGuy, Zagnut27 and Dave Z like this.
  19. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Acura or Buick may may be semi premium brands.

As I've said. While world except US is using this nomenclature. Even FCA and PSA are using it.

20. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Arbitrary definitions of luxury, premium, etc. don't really matter to the average car buyer.
    Luxury is subjective and varies person to person. And that doesn't just apply to cars either.

Chebby7, AvengerGuy, Zagnut27 and 5 others like this.