Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ram RFE Tranny Issues

Discussion in 'Projects, mods, restoration' started by Shane Estabrooks, May 16, 2017.

1. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

I posted on Ram HD 6.4 about tranny issues and want to share with everyone to get more feedback and experiences from others. Here is the latest post, please read and throw in some input or questions. Much appreciated...
    " Well that's twice for my tranny, this time they replaced it with a new one. I did some digging into this issue and found out that it is all in the programming. What was basically happening was between 70 and 90 Km the tranny line pressure was bouncing between high and low line pressure causing the tranny to destroy the clutch pack in the higher gears (4-5-6). I spend a lot of time at that speed range on the crappy roads we have, so the slowing down and speeding up for rough spots was not helping the issue. Asked them to see if the factory re-flashes would fix this... time will tell. Looks like an after market re-programmer is in order... any thoughts on this?"

Thanks for any input :)

Shane

Devildodge likes this.
  2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I see the latest PCM/TCM flash covered in TSB # 18-096-16 that was released last August. It offers minor enhancements and corrections, but nothing that I see that would address jumping line pressures. That may have been an internal leak(?) problem.
    The transmission has a VLP (variable line pressure) solenoid that should give enough pressure to apply and hold a clutch. It takes less pressure to hold a clutch after the initial clutch application. VLP keeps ATF temperatures down and saves gas.
    There is a software option given in this bulletin to also address a 'drone/shudder/pulsation/vibration while under light throttle in MDS/ECO mode' concern.

Devildodge and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  3. Shane Estabrooks

One issue that popped up was tire size inputs each time the truck went in for work or updates. The updates or re-flash would reset the tire size back to factory and if the tech didn't set back to current tire size... 31" factory vs 33.5 current is a big difference. It's amazing we didn't get a speeding ticket. How much that translate to possible tranny damage has to many variables to me but could be a contributing factor to the demise of RFE66.
    But I do have to say ever since the replacement and the follow ups to monitor and all that stuff.. this RFE66 is awesome .. seen some fuel mileage improvement. Time will tell and as for the rest of the truck ... AWESOME

Devildodge and ImperialCrown like this.
  4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Shane Estabrooks and tomit like this.
  5. Shane Estabrooks