NewsThis really is the 2018 Wrangler “JL” • Red vs black keys: Real-world Hellcat performance • Windsor loses Transport

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ram spy video

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by Dave Z, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Mike V.

Mike V. Moderator

No worries on the misspell, I do it all the time :). Dang autocorrect on my phone gets me.

Agreed, better off with something common for sure. Lots of questions and not enough answers yet. I can say the new truck looks fantastic IMHO and will have some interesting powertrain changes to better compete in the market.

I just hope they get the diesel situation stratingtened out sooner than later. They need EcoDiesel on lots today and in the future.

Mike

2. bikeluver43

bikeluver43 Member

3. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Member

Agreed, the Ecodiesel issues need to be fixed now. In the future, that engine's efficiency may be responsible for keeping larger truck type vehicles from going extinct. I'd love to have a truck that gets around 30 mpg.

4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

I am just speculating. Remember the Nitro and Liberty? (Or Durango and Grand Cherokee)? I know the D/GC worked the other way — Durango costs more — but to me it makes sense that if you have a basic frame, you’d optimize one on-road vehicle and one off-road.

The idea of not using a Ramcharger, but instead making a next-gen Durango, also makes sense to me. I think it's obvious they plan to keep the Durango name, based on increased spending on the current Durango.

What would probably work even better is a well-engineered Hemi+hybrid setup. Maybe highway mileage wouldn't be quite as good but city mileage would be better and you could probably tow with it without going near single digits...

Huge brakes are good — unsprung weight, yes, but the bigger the brakes, the less often you need to replace 'em, and hopefully the better the stopping power, if the tires can take it.

5. Mike V.

Mike V. Moderator

Nothing wrong with speculating.

Probably best I not comment further, still trying to figure a few things out.

Mike

6. Mike V.

Mike V. Moderator

Agreed. We know they are also working on future diesel power trains too.

I think a Gasoline/hybrid could be a great alternative like Dave suggested... but I think the diesel alternative should be parked next to it on the lot. More options in a segment that options can be afforded.

Mike

ramajama and freshforged like this.
  7. Dave Z

Don't get me wrong, I like diesels... but I figure diesels and hybrids go after different crowds. A diesel is good for towing and highway use - a hybrid, for suburban and urban use. The biggest Jeep sales turf is NY/NJ/CT, so it's mostly urban and suburban, despite the image. That said, they have diesel pickups and will have hybrid pickups, so I figure they will do both.

Alexbucks likes this.
  8. Mike V.

Mike V. Moderator

Oh we agree, the margin of a truck allows for more power train options to really define the segment and go after specific demo's.

While I would prefer the diesel, I know some people would prefer a high efficiency gasoline/hybrid combo instead. If they priced the upgrade similarly and gave them similar performance over the standard engines, it could be another game changer.

I think we will see several different engine configurations with the next Ram.

Mike

Dave Z likes this.
  9. Dave Z

The volume on the truck, as well. When they were selling 400,000 minivans a year, I wondered why they did not experiment more, because they certainly had that luxury.

Mike V. likes this.
  10. srm3500

srm3500 Member

I know it costs money but I wish they would do a hybrid diesel as well.

11. Mike V.

Mike V. Moderator

Would be interesting.

Mike

12. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work... Ad-Free Member

I think there's a name issue here if RamCharger were to ever come to fruition.

Dodge RamCharger

or God forbid,

Ram RamCharger

Bajanbuoy likes this.
  13. DarkSky

DarkSky Cruising Around Level III Supporter

Ram 1500 Charger

14. Devildodge

Devildodge Member

Well, can't get the image to load, but all these things Ram is making...since they keep not making ramcharger, wish they had something to bring back the street van.

As awesome as the durango is and as amazing as the 1500 has become, it would be so cool to have a full size suv on the 1500 or even better yet 2500. But this has been hashed out so many times ,and it still gets me hopeful.
    Especially since we keep hearing about a possible vehicle that hasn't been discussed.
    And with the Chief posted in the other thread it really shows how much full size can make something seem better.
    Sigh...so much goodness and still hoping for one more surprise.

wtxiceman likes this.
  15. MoparMantis

MoparMantis Member

But is it a 2 door or 4 door? :p Sorry, couldn't help myself. The name game and Charger always reminds me of the monster Charger thread from 2004ish.
    Back on topic, are the days on the 8' box in a 1500 crew cab gone? I know there weren't many 3rd gens made that way. I went with the 2500 this last time to get that combo. Great pickup but I don't need the capacity of the 2500., I just wanted the 8' box and needed the crew cab.