Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random Stalling - 1992 V8 2WD

Discussion in 'Dakota, 1998-2013 Durango and Aspen' started by lalunette, Feb 5, 2016.

1. lalunette

lalunette Member

Howdy folks.

I have a '92 Dakota that likes to stall randomly... in all seasons and in all weather conditions.

I just drive along and the engine dies... randomly. All electrical systems continue to function. All I need to do is pull over, turn the engine off and wait a minute... then it starts again like nothing happened.

However, last nite, there seemed to be a precursor to the stall... the entire electrical system in the truck seemed to take a "dip" and then return to normal. Two seconds later the engine stalled.

I got to where I was going, stayed there for a couple hours, and then drove back home. The engine stalled again, without warning this time.

Any ideas where I should start to attempt a diagnosis ???

Thx !!!

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Any fault codes left behind? When it does stall is the time to jump out and diagnose it before it starts again. Having a helper with you to work the ignition switch would be useful.
    Check for spark and fuel. Find out which may be missing and which may be present.
    You might have good fuel pressure, but if the injectors are staying closed, then it is the same as not getting fuel.
    A shot of ether or carb cleaner in the throttle body should fire the engine momentarily when cranking. If it does, you have spark. If not, then spark is probably missing.
    A noid light at the coil wire will indicate spark or not.
    It does sound like an intermittent electrical issue. A possible crank position sensor or ignition coil? Diagnose as much as you can first.

3. lalunette

lalunette Member

Thx for the reply.

I did replace the ignition coil with a new one in October 2015... but to no avail.

I'll try replacing the crank position sensor next.

Cheers !!

4. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Any fault codes?

These are known for the distributor bushing wearing out. Then you get shaft wobble and the fuel injection pickup may not send the signal each revolution. Check for side play in the distributor shaft.

5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

That was TSB # 18-08-93A:
    TSB 18-08-93 Rev. A
    The bronze bushing that wears is down inside the block and supports the auxillary (oil pump/distributor) driveshaft.
    18-08-93-f1.gif
    With the distributor position marked and the distributor removed, look down the hole. The gear down in the hole is the one that will have play if the bushing has worn.
    The distributor shaft wear itself may or may not be fine. That is a separate issue than the TSB.
    Severe timing chain wear can also cause a loss of distributor 'fuel sync' timing. There is a TSB 09-07-97 for that as well where a chain tensioner was installed to stop the distributor timing signal (sync) from bouncing around:
    http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=5465
    A cracked flex plate could also cause timing 'sync' to be lost.
    I didn't mention this earlier as the truck starts back up for you after sitting a minute and seems to be an electrical issue from your description.
    Is the timing chain noisy?
    If the crank position sensor doesn't fix it, it will need deeper diagnosis.

#5 ImperialCrown, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  6. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

You might check the wires to the sensors for fraying. My '92 Dakota V6 had a similar problem that was solved when I spliced an exposed wire to the Throttle Position Sensor. It was pretty much warm stalling when trying to start. Yours seems to be occurring at different times, so you might check the wiring to all of the sensors, starting with Crank Position.

When an older Mopar had a similar problem, it was solved by replacing the gas filter. The manual for my Dakota says to replace the gas filter "as needed". However, I agree with IC that your problem seems to be electrical rather than fuel-related.

7. lalunette

lalunette Member

Howdy gents... finally replaced the crank position sensor last nite... not very accessible and there was only one bolt holding it down.

Anyhow, once I figured out it was an Allen key type head and not a bolt, removal and replacement went pretty fast.

The truck started right up and I went for a 5-minute ride. I have to say I noted a difference immediately. Idling was smoother, no dips in engine performance and no stalls... yet. :)

I'll keep you all posted on long term performance.

Cheers !!

valiant67 likes this.
  8. lalunette

lalunette Member

Well... damn... she stalled... but started less than a minute later... which is an improvement on the previous waiting times. LOL

However, that being said, engine performance is indeed improved. Idling and acceleration is smoother.

At this point I'm going to cut my losses and manage the truck the way it is. I can't / won't throw more money into a 25-year old truck when I'm trying to pay off my credit card. LOL

9. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

I wonder if the intermittent stalling is due to a poor electrical splice in a wiring harness near the battery? I seem to remember posts on this forum indicating there is a splice in the wiring near the left spring tower that can cause this type of problem. Maybe others can respond if I am correct.

10. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Yes, there is a splice under the relay box that was troublesome. In my case, it opened up the relay coil power for the starter relay.

11. lalunette

lalunette Member

"splice under the relay box that was troublesome"

Well, that's interesting...

12. Meester Beeg

Meester Beeg Active Member

Yep, its a 3 wire splice in the harness umder the relay box on the L fender well.