AF: Re-tread Mopar guy checking in. | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re-tread Mopar guy checking in.

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by LAP Valiant, Jul 17, 2020.

1. LAP Valiant

LAP Valiant New Member

Hello from San Antonio, Texas! I learned to drive in my Dad's 65 Dodge Dart 2 door hardtop, slant 6, 3 on the tree. I owned a 68 Dodge Dart in college that would lift the front tires off the ground. As of last Saturday (7/11/2020), I'm back in the Mopar saddle with the purchase of a 65 Plymouth Valiant Signet Convertible powered by a 273 and a Torqueflite automatic. She runs good but is going in for a thorough mechanical check-up Monday to be safe and to tell me where we're at. It's got a good paint job in the original gold color and a fairly new top. The first upgrade will be AC because we're in Texas. It is not an original AC car so I welcome input on what AC to use - vintage air? integrated in dash system or under dash? I tried to post a picture but haven't figured it out yet. I also want to put more modern wheels and tires (keep originals stored). Please feel free to throw opinions and experiences my way. Thanks.

2. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

Hello, and welcome. No personal experiences, but from what I've seen, under-dash should probably be easier to install. If you go in-dash, either more drilling will need to be done, or you'll have to find a panel that's set up for a/c. I've seen many smaller cars in that vintage with under-dash a/c units.

Posting pics start with the "Upload a File" button underneath to the right of the box where you write your post. You'll have to choose either the thumbnail or full pic option.

3. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

Welcome.

My 63 has an aftermarket unit installed some time in the '70s probably. When it was rebuilt and converted to the latest refrigerant recently the parts were still available for the old unit .

In dash would be nice, but knee knocker style is probably less expensive.

Here is a link to universal systems. They have them for A Body Mopars but, as you will find, the majority of the aftermarket stuff is '67 and up as is the case here.

https://www.classicautoair.com/universal_air_conditioning_custom_ac/

Hope that's a decent starting point. Looks like the street rod system is the least expensive