Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really Curious about my American AllParian friends and Net Neutrality

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by BobbiBigWheels, Dec 3, 2017.

1. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective
    Level 2 Supporter

Hey guys -

I've been sitting on pin and needles watching the train-wreck that is Ajit Pai and anti-Net Neutrality develop.

What are your thoughts? I'm worried as a Canadian these anti-net neutrality laws are going to filter into Canada and ultimately ruin the open and free internet as we know it today.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Without being political: I think net neutrality is a good idea. But I don’t necessarily trust the implementation of it to the corporations or the government. So I’m not sure how we get there.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  3. pt006

pt006 Active Member

I too think net neutrality should stay as it is. When we add money into the equation, then control of the subject matter can be manipulated. Even if the manipulation is as subtle as slowing down a site by a few seconds, it can influence some readers to get annoyed enough to not choose that site the next time. Subtle but effective. I imagine that some of the rich people [Koch bros. and Putin, etc.] are licking their chops right now.

The internet - was - is - and will be - somewhat political. As long as I can choose what I want to read, not what somebody else chooses [forces] me to read, I'm OK with that.

4. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Now that Net Neutrality laws are gone, it's time to sit back and watch what happens. Hopefully it won't go the same way the cable companies went. My first cable bill was under $8 dollars 15 years ago. My bill has more than quadrupled since then for the exact same minimum service. And, they forced me to have digital [without Hi-Def]. Lost a few local channels too. And the sound isn't as good as the old analog.

5. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

The only thing I know for sure is that if the government controls it, it will become a bloated, cumbersome bureaucracy that can never be changed, is less efficient, and will be taxed mercilessly

Doug D likes this.
  6. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Read this interview.
    Things were fine before Obama.
    Things will be fine now.

MSNBC Anchor Tries Debating Net Neutrality with Guest On-Air, it Doesn't End Well for Him (at https://www.westernjournal.com/msnbc-anchor-tries-debating-net-neutrality-guest-air-doesnt-end-well/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=robertsonfamilyvalues&utm_content=2017-12-17&utm_campaign=can )

7. pt006

pt006 Active Member

I'm not interested in listening to some slime slinger trying to convince me to agree with his views. When money enters into a situation, those in charge figure out a way to pass the expenses down to the end users. I hope that ALLPAR . com and others are not slowed down because some rich company like tokyota pays money so that their site takes priority over others.

#7 pt006, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2017
  8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

The net neutrality we had until now was pretty simple — corporations could not block channels they didn’t like for commercial, ideological, or personal religious reasons. In short, blocking spammers and hackers — okay; blocking the EFF, Fox, or UAW — not okay. Charging extra for Netflix while charging less for your own Netflix-competitor — not okay.

The need for net neutrality becomes more clear when you realize that all the major cable providers now own their own media companies too... and when you see how Comcast blackmailed Netflix.

People say everything was fine before the 2015(?) rules. Well... sortakinda. In reality, the FCC had regulated previously, Verizon sued and won, and then we got the new rules, so there WERE rules before 2015 (?). The cable companies all knew that too-blatant abuse would mean regulation. Today? They know that they can do whatever they want, as long as they boil the frog slowly...

This does have the potential to hurt Allpar; I would assume that ISPs will demand payment for their “fast lanes,” which would operate at the speed of today’s “normal lanes,” and doubt we’d be invited to the party. Most likely there would be third parties, like Akamai, offering to “help out” for a fee.

There’s an awful lot of pay-to-play even now — and I can’t really talk about the details without fear of retaliation. Suffice it to say EVERYONE except for the cable companies (and Verizon) opposes net neutrality for a reason.

bluskye likes this.
  9. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

I'm just hoping that with net neutrality gone that there will be more profit available to expand high speed internet to more areas in the US. Expansion pretty much stopped in my area the past several years, and net neutrality was the excuse I got when I asked about it (768kbps is the best I can get at my home). We shall see.

10. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I wish there was a "HaHa" button here, like on Facebook.