AF: Rear axle seal replace 8 3/4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear axle seal replace 8 3/4

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by mopar56, Mar 26, 2020.

1. mopar56

mopar56 Well-Known Member

Dose anyone know if you can replace the outer rear axle seals on a 8 3/4 rear without buggering up the bearing and collar? The bearings are fine but the outer seals that hold the grease from getting on the brakes are old and loose I have a press and bearing splitter but the bearing and collar kit is 55 cdn I'm working on my old hot rod project as a bit of anti virus therapy and really dont want to spend the extra 110 bucks plus tax right now but would like to put my axles back in. Thanks

2. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Sorry, but the bearing has to be cut off, the seal is on the outside of it. To keep from buggering the axle, make two slices through the bearing housing but don't go all the way to the axle surface itself, one slice opposite the other, then take a flat chisel to the crack and it will snap pretty easy.

I don't think, even if you take and cut the seal off, that there is enough room to get a bearing puller in between the axle end and the bearing in order to press the bearing off the axle, which is why they always cut them off, but I could be wrong.

3. KOG

KOG KOG

Take it to a machine shop. They can press the bearing back on as well. Unless you have a press at home.

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Make sure that the differential vent is clear and breathing. If the vent gets plugged or restricted, they can push oil oil out at the weakest point, like an axle or pinion seal.

5. mopar56

mopar56 Well-Known Member

Update...thanks for the suggestions I decided to take it in to my shop today and I used a proper heavy duty bearing puller and tried to place it between the collar and bearing but after 7 attempts, no luck all I was successful in doing was scoring up the bearing collar after the tool kept creeping up the collar they say not to heat the axle cause it could take out the temper so I didn't but I did heat the collar a bit with the small acetylene tip but no luck so after wasting an hour of my life I'll never get back I took it down to the machine shop down the road and left it with him and ordered a new br7 bearing/collar kit In hein site maybe I should have just cut it off as suggested but my machine shop is usually pretty good to me he just finished shortening my driveshaft for the same project I'll see what he charges and that will decide if I cut off bearing number two from the opposite site myself or not.

dana44 likes this.