Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear defogger wire connections - 2004 sebring touring

Discussion in '200, Avenger/Sebring, Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze' started by msg123456, Nov 12, 2017.

1. msg123456

msg123456 Active Member

Hi all,

My rear defogger is not working on my sebring and the fuse and relay appear to be ok. Was trying to find where the wires connect to grid on the rear window but cannot find them.

Can anyone help me..?

msg

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

3. msg123456

msg123456 Active Member

Thanks Imperial. Sorry for confusion but my wife said that it begins to work and then does not seem to keep going long enough. I tried shutting off switch and then turning it on again and that seemed to help but I will try it myself tomorrow am and let you know. Wonder if it could be a faulty relay?

4. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

How soon does the rear defroster shut off? The rear defrost on our '10 Journey has some sort of timer. It will shut off after 8-10 minutes. The Acclaims I had were similar.

5. msg123456

msg123456 Active Member

it looks like it only stays on for 30 seconds or so..if that..not sure..it will only defog hardly half the distance between each grid line across windshield..the light at the switch stays on though..

6. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The time that the grid stays on seems to vary with outside temperature? It seems to stay on as long as needed.
    The relay is only a slave component, it probably has little to do with timing. The timing may be a part of the HVAC dash control module?
    As the glass warms, the current will rise. Possibly the defogger is shut down according to current?

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  7. msg123456

msg123456 Active Member

I would like to check the rear defogger feeds but since they are buried in covers.

IMG_COPY.jpg I am hoping someone has had to do this before because it does not look straightforward to remove all the molding etc.to get to the feeds to check them..

8. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

A lot of interior trim is held in by retainer clips and pins. Use the procedures shown in the 2004 JR service manual beginning with the Interior components table of contents on p. 23-78 here:
    http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/.../2004_JR_Stratus_Sebring/16154-jr_intlpdf.pdf
    It looks like you will need to remove the rear seat cushion. Fold down the rear seat back. Remove the upper 1/4 trim panels and rear shelf trim panel.
    Hopefully this will expose the braided wiring soldered to the glass. Test for power and ground with a test light.
    The test light should dim as you poke along the grid towards ground. Avoid scratching the grid as it may open-circuit it.
    If there is no power to the glass, work your way forward towards the dash. The rear window wiring diagram is shown in chapter 8W-48.
    You likely have the manual temperature control (MTC) and the sedan is the 41 body. The convertible is the 27 body.

9. msg123456

msg123456 Active Member

Thanks again Imperial. Appreciate it ..will see how I make out.