Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rearview Camera Fail- 2008 Grand Caravan

Discussion in 'Minivans · Pacifica' started by MoparJeff, Feb 25, 2017.

1. MoparJeff

Level 2 Supporter

Does anyone have any experience/advice for rearview cameras?

I have a 2008 Dodge Caravan purchased new. The rearview camera has gone out, it senses when the car is placed in reverse but after the "Check All Surroundings" message displays a black screen.

Had it checked by the dealer, was advised everything was fine between the camera and the unit, so the problem is internal to head unit. Quote new was over $1600 installed, the tech suggested I get a used/salvage unit, which I did.

And the replacement until does exactly the same as the original. Everything works great except the camera. So the replacement has the same failure OR the original diagnosis was wrong.

I hate throwing a lot of money into this but if there is a reliable solution short of giving the dealer a ton of money I'd like to fix it.

Thanks!

2. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Level 2 Supporter

Sounds like the lens, not the head unit to me. If it is showing the subtitles on the screen, the screen is doing its part, but isn't getting any info from the lens.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  3. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

When the feds make the camara manditory you will have to spend $$$ to fix it to pass inspection.

4. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

My understanding is backup cameras will be standard in 2018. Whether they are mandated by the feds I don't recall.

Most states have safety inspections. When I last checked VA's safety inspection standards a working backup camera was not listed as mandatory.

5. voiceofstl

It may go by state to state but just like TMS (tire pressure monitering system) if the light is on it won't pass inspection.
    Belive me...its just a matter of time, if the camara doesn't wotk it won't pass...unless Trump stops it.

6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

State by state. Some states have no inspection. Each varies in what they inspect.

And we can whine about the cost but it saves lots of lives ... of children mostly.

I agree it sounds like the lens.

One would hope they would accept non-factory replacements ($40 or so?) but I doubt it, based on past experience with a PRNDL. Cost of doing business...

7. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

In NYS, if the AIRBAG warning light is on we just have to make a note of it on the inspection form that the dash malfunction indicator light is on. We won't fail a vehicle inspection because of an airbag malfunction. However seat belts are a must.
    Perhaps the same type of policy will apply to reverse cameras.
    Many state inspection stations aren't equipped to diagnose and repair all brands. Many are simple brake/exhaust/tire/NYSI shops.
    Much of the scan tool communication with specialized modules like airbags and reverse cameras is non-OBDII and factory proprietary. It would be a bad idea to expect or burden the independent shops to service these components in order to pass a vehicle inspection.
    If reverse cameras did become part of the NYSI, it would likely be years from now. I suppose that this could also make the radio a safety item and subject to safety recalls or extended warranties if there are problems.

8. voiceofstl

If it saves 1 child...isn't it worth it? Lets lower the speed limit to 40.

9. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

x2, if you've replaced the radio and get the same problem, then, it must be in the camera (or even the harness)

10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

The speed limit isn’t the big killer right now, it’s people killing their own children while backing out of their driveways, and it’s big. As in 2,400 injuries per year.

Backovers | KidsandCars.org (at http://www.kidsandcars.org/how-kids-get-hurt/backovers/ )

Kids killed when parents back up - Health - Children's health | NBC ...

Statistics | Driveway Accidents: Eliminating Avoidable Deaths and ...

Child pedestrian safety: 'driveway deaths' and 'low-speed vehicle run ...

UN4GTBL and valiant67 like this.
  11. John G. Dungan

I have the same basic problem. The words appear to check your entire surroundings, but there are no yellow and green and red lines, and the screen stay black. That's why I did not think it could be the camera. I wonder where the lines come from? (Imposed on the screen by something in the OS, or included in the camera itself).