AF: Reason we aren't talking about the Wrangler Prototype? | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reason we aren't talking about the Wrangler Prototype?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by TripleT, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level 2 Supporter

Meh....show me a new Chrysler or Dodge.

Something new with Jeep? I give it an unenthusiastic "whoopee."

Chebby7, jclick, thebluegoat and 2 others like this.
  2. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

At this point, me too

3. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

REALLY!?!?! it not a either or.... sometimes act like the brands a jealous siblings whining for resources. It is one company with multiple sub-brands to fill a entire product line. Not interested in something caught on the proving ground then move along.

AlfaCuda, AlexB and Ruptured Duck like this.
  4. Christopher

Yes, really. You were the one here wondering why people weren’t commenting on it. The fact that people have but you don’t like those comments does not invalidate them. And just because someone doesn’t trip over themselves lavishing praise or wetting themselves over it doesn’t mean that they want the company to do poorly.

I’m tired of seeing Jeep get new product while Dodge and Chrysler are left starved for product. New sticker packages and a widebody kit for the Charger don’t count. They’re unlikely to draw in new buyers and I suspect they will appeal to those predisposed to buy one anyways. In addition, with pricing the way it is, the potential new Jeep would be priced so far out of what I’d be willing to pay, I am indifferent to it.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad Jeep has a new Wrangler and the Gladiator, but where is the product for Chrysler and Dodge? It may not be an either/or situation, but it sure seems that way.

You whinge about people whining about allocation of resources. Jeep has 3 new/relatively new vehicles and Dodge has...umm...oh yeah...big fenders. I give that the same unenthusiastic “whoopee!” Chrysler has the Pacifica, I guess. But what else?

5. Illegal Machine

Illegal Machine Active Member

This was the first thing I thought of. Would be hilarious (and awesome?) with the bootleg Mahindra Jeep ATV's out there.

Actually sounds like a cool, possibly untapped little revenue stream.

6. wvutuba

wvutuba Well-Known Member

I live somewhat close to the Hatfield-McCoy trails and regularly see loads of expensive bikes, ATVs, and UTVs being hauled down towards the trails. People drop some serious money on those things. The JL is too big for most of the trails (only a few are open to full sized off road vehicles), but if Jeep could come up with their own UTV, I could see it selling. Of course, there are a lot of factors to consider, so this was just me speaking off the cuff.

Illegal Machine likes this.
  7. Christopher

Okay, that could be kinda cool.

8. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

I guess working on new jeeps just means that's Dodge and Chryslers aren't?

#28 TripleT, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2019
  9. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I got it! It’s the Chrysler version of the Wrangler we’ve been dreaming of!:rolleyes::p

UN4GTBL, page2171 and BASONE88 like this.
  10. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

This is a Mopar forum, some of us have seen plenty of jeep for awhile.

Patiently waiting for something else:D

11. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Honestly most of those are hidden under existing sheet metal, when does show up they don't talk that much about it other than point out that they dont like that appearance.

I can't even recall if the Dodge Charger prototype was talked about here. If it was it was a short thread.

Any thing from Chrysler would look like a Commander or Pacifica. Durango will look like a Ram.

This was a odd one as it was out in the open and undisguised.

The question is why haven't they implemented the New Chryslers not where are they.

#31 TripleT, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2019
    wtxiceman likes this.
  12. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Allpar is only as dead as one wants it to be. I for one am with Christopher. Stickers and fender flares plus a cheap version of an existing van doesn't cut it. First, the cheap van could've been here two or so years ago. Second, lipstick can only go so far to cover the age of the vehicles that it's put on without some plastic surgery. Third, the Jeep brand risks becoming diluted too much if that's all FCA focuses on. Going to the well too often comes to mind.

13. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I agree that there’s too much complaining posted, but I certainly don’t blame people for not falling all over themselves for this mule. There are a million different reasons for the design and nothing definitive can be seen. There would probably be more speculation on a Jeep-only forum. It shouldn’t be a surprise that people on a Mopar forum, where Jeep is only 1/7 of the company, are a little, no very, frustrated at the singular brand focus.

14. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

Allpar is not a pro-FCA site. It is a place where those who care about the various BRANDS.

Where are the mods when someone is attacking people for not being excited?

15. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

upload_2019-7-22_17-6-26.png

Zagnut27 likes this.
  16. Christopher

I'm going to ask that you keep the condescension out of your posts. It isn't warranted.

I never said that. What I said was we haven't seen anything new from them. As far as I know, despite promises of new vehicles, the lineup is dead in the water. People can claim there is new product in the pipeline, but they've been promising that for some time now. Weren't we supposed to have a new Charger in the works? That got bumped back. Wasn't there a new mid-size sedan in the works? That disappeared last I heard. Where is something for Chrysler other than the Pacifica and the on-life-support 300? I don't count the decontenting of the Pacifica and renaming it as something 'new.' That's just smoke and mirrors.

You're right though. I have slim hope that anything of any meaningful value is being worked on the the Chrysler/Dodge line. Sticker packages and big fenders aren't going to cut it. The Demon, while an engineering coup, does nothing for the masses that cannot afford to spend close to six figures on a toy.

I want FCA, AS A WHOLE, to thrive. But their seeming fascination with pouring money into Jeep and Ram, while it appears that they are ignoring C/D on the American side doesn't help. Yes, I'm glad the new Ram is a hit and the Gladiator has arrived. I'm glad they received the resources to hit them out of the park. It seems that we still have too many brands and not enough money. There may be some good C/D products in the works but you wouldn't know it.

However, you did start this thread to discuss this prototype so I will drop the discussion from here on.

I don't know what to make of the prototype. It seems impractical to me. I don't know enough about off-roading to judge anything about it. Are the wheel wells normally that big on a Jeep? Or does it seem that way because it has a lift kit?

17. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Yup. It’s got to be hard to keep forum traffic up and member morale high when product plans keep getting delayed, canceled, or materialize as good ole sticker editions.

I agree with Eric: my passion and loyalty are towards the brands, not towards FCA. It is hard to stay loyal to an automaker that disregards its customers, the only loyalty it shows is to its financial owners, and whose future may or may not contain more letters —or fewer letters, depending how the winds blow that day.

#37 aldo90731, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  18. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

This dismays me because it’s highly unlikely that most of the individual brands survive if the parent company fails. Who would of enjoyed Allpar if the AMC people kept hoping Chrysler failed since they knew Jeep would still survive? What if Daimler fans crowded the site constantly sneering at the lowly Chrysler fans?

There is a difference in being critical of the decisions management makes and constantly attacking the company simply because you’re not a fan of certain brands. For ***** sake, ITS ALL ONE COMPANY!

I’ll let you “fans” revel in your misery for a while. Enjoy yourselves.

19. Ryan

A next-gen Grand Cherokee is my vehicle of choice from FCA, but I’d much rather buy the small-midsize Dodge crossover that was talked about for a while then seemingly dropped. Dodge fits my taste more than Jeep.

That said, I agree with @GasAxe: it’s all one company so if there’s not something I like from one brand, I have several others to choose from.

tlc likes this.
  20. aldo90731

Like I said before, I refrain from talking about, and labeling, fellow members.

All I’ll say is that my interest in the automotive industry in general, and in Mopars in particular, precedes FCA —in fact, last time I checked there was a Fiat in my garage! ;)

FCA is the result of the convergence of a set of economic circumstances, government decisions and a group of investors’ specific wants. True, this convergence saved Chrysler, but it also allowed its Fiat owners to profit beyond their wildest dreams. Which is great.

However, this convergence by itself doesn’t provide the foundations to set FCA off onto long-term success. That has to come from management.

This article on a sister website was brought to my attention recently. It articulates succinctly, and more eloquently than I have been able to, the shortsightedness of FCA’s strategy: Does Fiat Chrysler have a future?

#40 aldo90731, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019