AF: Rebel TRX!!! Hellcat RAM | Page 48 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rebel TRX!!! Hellcat RAM

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by chfjim, Sep 29, 2016.

1. adrianp89

adrianp89 Active Member

So the F150 Limited is now getting the Raptor motor. Ram needs to hurry up.... and offer these motors in a luxurious trim.

valiant67 likes this.
  2. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

Agreed! Rims “powertrain Department “has sat on their hands for far too long. A beefed up and refined 6.4 should be sitting in their top two trims two years ago. Much less right freaking now.

MoparMantis, TheViking and valiant67 like this.
  3. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

LOL! Sorry, I meant RAM’s...not Rims. When talk to text attacks. ;)

VoiceOfReason likes this.
  4. TheViking

TheViking Active Member

How do I like this multiple times? :)

VoiceOfReason and ramajama like this.
  5. TheViking

TheViking Active Member

I just never understood why the SRT 6.4 seemed to make it into everything but Ram trucks.

6. grungerockjeeper

grungerockjeeper Well-Known Member

THIS. It wouldn't need to be in everything. A Rebel 392 is a no brainer. And if not another version of the Rumble Bee or Daytona, just the R/T with the 392. Scat Pack, maybe?

ramajama, VoiceOfReason and TheViking like this.
  7. BigDaddySRT

BigDaddySRT Well-Known Member

I think you covered it pretty simply... it's only offered in SRT Vehicle Platforms that have been tested and certified with the 6.4L HEMI.

8. VoiceOfReason

VoiceOfReason Active Member

The "boomstick" as Ramajama called it is on it's way . . . eventually.
    Many are anxious to see what information comes out between now and the January Detroit Auto Show. The rumors regarding power plants have been pretty consistent, so I'm now curious how aggressive the suspension will be.
    (and will they ever put the Redeye engine in a truck . . . yes, I am very much that not sane . . . not saying it's realistic or that they should, just that I hope they do)

9. TheViking

TheViking Active Member

Well being an outsider I have no idea what it takes to certify the 6.4 in a new platform. But let's consider the other vehicles it's been certified in so far:

Challenger
    Charger
    Durango
    Grand Cherokee

It's been certified in just about every other longitudinal RWD/AWD platform they offer (Wrangler and foreign stuff aside). I would have to believe a Ram model with the 6.4 at any reasonable price would easily outsell many of the other SRT offerings. Apparently smarter folks at FCA have determined that this is not the case. But I can't wrap my head around why not.

10. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

I don’t think it even NEEDS to be a SRT truck. I just think it needs to be AT LEAST an option in AT LEAST Laramie Longhorn AND Limited.

MoparMantis, VoiceOfReason and Ryan like this.
  11. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Now that Ford is offering the 450 horsepower Raptor engine in the Limited.

12. VoiceOfReason

VoiceOfReason Active Member

With the research, design, and engineering going into the TRX, I'm sure they'll be able to beef up whatever is needed to offer more power plants in non-Rebels, if market demand dictates.
    Ford made the right decision regarding the engine upgrade options of their "Limited" and if FCA wants to compete for that high margin space, seems like a no brainer to configure the high end Ram trims to accommodate comparable power (at least).
    As far as an SRT truck, I agree with Ramajama, it doesn't need to be a Street Race focused truck (but if there is a market for it, give 'em an SRT Rebel), but the 392 is already there, rumors are the 426 is coming, so, git er done.

ramajama likes this.
  13. mentalicca

mentalicca Well-Known Member

Plain and simple we do not know the duty cycles the 6.4 is rated for. Chances are there is a good reason it has not made it to trucks. Remember there is another 6.4 that is for trucks, and its not rated nearly as high in hp and torque.

Truck demands are very different from suvs and cars.

14. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

What about a NA 6.2? Its apparently quite robust.

15. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

Just use the BGE 6.4L block (same as hellcat), problem solved and they'll have a 485hp truck to sell.

TheViking likes this.
  16. mentalicca

mentalicca Well-Known Member

This is an engine that does not yet exist. Whatever they choose would need to have multiple applications.

This is something we have been over as well. You can't just do that. There are other factors.

If it was as easy as either of suggested it would have been done already, considering how long the 392 has been available.

There are engines in the works that we already have rumours to be making it into the new truck.

17. TheViking

TheViking Active Member

If you swapped in higher compression pistons, cam, tubular exhaust manifolds and tuning into a BGE motor you'd essentially have an SRT motor with a stronger block and heads. I'm oversimplifying a bit but the motors are identical in most other aspects. Point is it really would take very little effort to build an SRT truck motor from existing parts.

This maybe true. But look at the Durango SRT stats vs the Ram 1500. Durango weights 5,500 lbs and the Ram weighs...about 5,500 lbs. The Durango SRT is rated to tow 8,700 lbs. The Ram 1500 tows between 7,500 and 11,500 lbs depending on equipment. The Durango has a 1,400 lb payload rating vs the Ram's 1,500-2,300 lbs.

So comparing stats it's still hard to understand how the duty cycle is far off, if at all.

18. TheViking

TheViking Active Member

I'm sure there are other factors, I'm just not convinced it's a re-engineering issue. If only we could have a Q&A with FCA management on a monthly basis :D Where is the suggestion box?

ramajama and VoiceOfReason like this.
  19. MoparGuy413

MoparGuy413 Active Member

Unibody vs body on frame. Emissions certification due to exhaust routing. Engine mount changes. NVH/Vehicle dynamics. Packaging.

It’s not as simple as you think.

GasAxe, Christopher and VoiceOfReason like this.
  20. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

Excuses, excuses LOL! 6.4 works very well in the Power Wagon...Chevy got their 6.2 to work fine, Ford got their 6.2 to work fine....All excuses aside, truth is, they’ve been complacent IMHO. Just look at the 5.7 in the DT....no change. Don’t get me started. Look, they can stuff their excuses LOL. If they want to be competitive then they need to get it done. Maybe they finally will.

If they can engineer and build a Hellcat & Demon then they can make a 6.4 work in a freakin RAM 1500. Nuff said.

#960 ramajama, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    VoiceOfReason and wtxiceman like this.