AF: Rebel TRX!!! Hellcat RAM | Page 49 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rebel TRX!!! Hellcat RAM

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by chfjim, Sep 29, 2016.

1. badgerbeerman

badgerbeerman Well-Known Member

6.4 in the Rebel would be a no brainer. Add that option to the Limited and Longhorn and it would be great. People who pay that much for a truck would love to see a badge that says "Powerd by SRT"

VoiceOfReason, Ryan and Chris mopar like this.
  2. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

I can only imagine the hellfire that would be raining down on your head right now we’re Bob Schieves capable on chiming in right now. Needless to say you would no longer be LOLing. I’d go on, but really, why bother. Lowest common denominator wins again.

djsamuel, wilbur, GasAxe and 2 others like this.
  3. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

They already use the block in the trucks, the SRT 6.4L heads bolt on - what have I missed?

4. Stomper

Stomper Well-Known Member

I remember posting similar sentiments about why doesn't FCA just.....and Bob coming down on me like a ton of bricks. Most that post on here have no idea how costly, time consuming, and just plain difficult it is to certify different motors in different trims and models. Then hoping they sell well enough to justify the money, time, research, and engineering costs. I learned a lot from him. "There's no such thing as a free lunch."

GasAxe, Ryan and VoiceOfReason like this.
  5. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

We have heard over and over about cost, but they did it in the heavy duties. How many of those do they sell compared to the 1500's?

6. VoiceOfReason

VoiceOfReason Active Member

38% of truck sales are heavy duty judging from recall information someone else posted a while back.

wtxiceman likes this.
  7. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

That just means that they project a way to recoup that cost, either in increased sales, or as a rearguard action to prevent someone else’s product from product to take from your established market. No matter what gets put where you need to present the business case or get bounced out of the meeting with your tail between your legs.

VoiceOfReason likes this.
  8. Stomper

Stomper Well-Known Member

Yes because cost is a major factor. FCA as a company is in business to sell X number of vehicles at Y amount of profit. They have a set amount of money to do this with. If you approached them with $8 - $10 million and told them they could use it to certify Rams with a 6.4 they'd probably take you up on that. Until then they have to spend their money, use their resources and time, the way they think will maximize their return on investment.

As far as the heavy duties go that development program probably has quite different parameters than the light duty program. A majority of the buyers for HD vs. LD trucks use their vehicles differently.

I used to have similar questions although mainly about Jeep. Why couldn't they put a Hemi in a Wrangler?? The aftermarket is doing it. Why can't a Wrangler come from the factory with 35 inch tires and a lift?? Why doesn't FCA..... People much more experienced than me let me know why. I will never know as much as they do but I do know that much more goes into the decision making process than most consumers realize.

#968 Stomper, Jul 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    djsamuel, GasAxe and VoiceOfReason like this.
  9. TheViking

TheViking Active Member

My thought was if they could justify the development expense on niche models of vehicles like the GC, Durango and 300 then how do you somehow exclude the Ram when it sells over 500,000 per year? When I bought my 2500 the 6.4 option was about $1400. How much more would it take to justify the SRT option in a 1500? At anything close to $1400 I have to believe the take rate would be very high. Not to mention all the positive PR generated by a 500(ish) hp 1/2 ton truck.

Maybe it's CAFE stuff, maybe it's politics, maybe it's something else entirely. But the engineering/development cost argument seems weak to me.

valiant67 likes this.
  10. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

Putting the 6.4 into a sedan, where the weight will not change is one thing.

Putting it into a pickup where the load can change up to 2000 pounds is another.

The engineering/cost argument is weak only to those who think this is backyard wrench work and are ignorant of what it takes to meet all the regulations and requirements for a passenger automobile.

GasAxe, Ryan, danbek and 1 other person like this.
  11. TheViking

TheViking Active Member

No argument, I have zero knowledge of what really required to make it happen. But still it doesn't address my question of why it's magically happened in about about every other RWD product line.

As I mentioned earlier, the Durango SRT has a very similar curb weight, payload and tow rating to many of the 1/2 ton models. So what's the difference?

12. MoparGuy413

MoparGuy413 Active Member

Again…the 6.4L in Durango development work was already done through Grand Cherokee. They share the same architecture (W).

Putting a 6.4L in a 1500 is not as simple, because it hasn’t been offered before. Packaging, exhaust routing, NVH, vehicle dynamics, etc. need to be considered.

djsamuel, GasAxe, TheViking and 4 others like this.
  13. wtxiceman

And putting a 6.2 in a challenger or charger had never been done before.
    We know these things already, the question is why ram is falling behind when this is their high margin bread and butter vehicle.

14. MoparGuy413

MoparGuy413 Active Member

And that’s an SRT derived program. What’s your point?

15. mentalicca

mentalicca Well-Known Member

Guys there is a good chance this guy may know what he is talking about. So if you don't take my word (or others words), take his. If you catch my drift.

fargo59, djsamuel, GasAxe and 5 others like this.
  16. VoiceOfReason

VoiceOfReason Active Member

Perhaps aldo... can weigh in, but I suspect because no one presented a viable business case to justify the effort in a compelling enough manner to effect such a decision.
    I’d like a TRX with a Redeye engine in it, but the whims and wishes of John Q Public do not by themselves justify the effort required to bring concept to reality.
    Perhaps there was interest, but the necessary resources were otherwise committed. I think we can all agree that more power is “more gooder” and we’d all like to see all vehicles with higher numbers because human nature has this compounding desire for more. You could put a 1,000 horsepower engine in a Ram and someone would be asking within six months “when are we gonna get an upgrade to 1,100? 1,000 horsepower is so six months ago.”
    One way to run a business into the ground would be to chase every whim posted on a forum.

I agree that it would be a cool thing to have, but so would a flying car. Regarding the debate about why it hasn’t been done yet, I think that case has been made. I don’t know how herculean an effort it would be and who knows, exactly this may be on its way, but I wouldn’t attribute it to executive decision fault that it is not currently an option.
    The current crop of trucks perform rather well.

Christopher likes this.
  17. TheViking

TheViking Active Member

My apologies, appreciate you taking the time to explain again. I did not realize the Durango and GC shared the same architecture. From a outsider Ram enthusiast perspective a 6.4L 1500 makes a lot of sense so the question of "why not" comes up a lot.

Hopefully as the TRX program will have a trick-down affect over time.

GasAxe and VoiceOfReason like this.
  18. wtxiceman

Exactly what i said.
    Why are they letting their bread and butter brand fall behind the others in the power department.

Nothing to do with SRT.

19. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

It takes years to do any of these programs. They did not wake up with an idea one day and have the 6.2 Challenger six months later. There are many many systems that must change. The 2019 Ram is still pretty fresh and new so it will take time to engineer other engines into it.

VoiceOfReason and suzq044 like this.
  20. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

We would all love to see the 6.4L in the DT and now the DS, but it takes time, Mr. Sheaves has said in the past, one change at a time.

Other manufactures go with this theory also, it takes time. 2019 DS is coming along slower than most would like but new options are being introduced as they are ready. Right or wrong that is the way it is.

I am sure 2020 RAM 1500 will show more updates, now that Ford has expanded the 3.5L HO in the F150 Limited, I am sure RAM isn't standing still. Can't wait, we are in for an interesting couple years on a lot of different models.

Wil

GasAxe and VoiceOfReason like this.