AF: Rebel TRX!!! Hellcat RAM | Page 57 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rebel TRX!!! Hellcat RAM

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by chfjim, Sep 29, 2016.

1. VoiceOfReason

VoiceOfReason Active Member

Maybe a factory option (doubtful). I think I saw a discussion about that on hellcat.org and the load that 37" tires would create seemed to be a limiting factor - durability concerns, etc. Not something I know anything about, but I'd rather have something reliable so if the engineers decided on 35s, I'll just trust that was the right decision.

2. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Whether or not 37's are actually available, it blows my mind that we're even discussing it as a factory option. It used to be a big price to pay to get something bigger than 33's on a truck 20 years ago.

VoiceOfReason likes this.
  3. F8Demon

F8Demon Active Member

The concept was designed around 37's, and they made a big deal about designing it around this factor. So I think it will be capable of it. We can argue around performance and the necessity all day long, what looks cool and what the public wants and ultimately what the public is whiling to pay for is what will sell and what will be marketed too.

ramajama, VoiceOfReason and GasAxe like this.
  4. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree. I never understood why some argue against someone else purchasing a product simply for the reason that it isn't necessary in their opinion. Unless that opinion is connected to the dollars being spent, they can cram it (in a nice way:)). It isn't necessary to paint cars different colors either.

5. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

Whelp I said it immediately after I saw the concept that RAM was gonna build this truck (in this high performance guise). I could feel the proverbial eye rolls and took some crap over my “fanatical” belief that they would build it. I even got a temporary ban after defending myself from being accused of perpetuating something that wasn’t going to happen. Well, to avoid another ban I’ll stop there. But....
    AND.. patting myself on the back..I even guessed that we’d have three Rebels... Standard, performance and HALO models. The TRX gods were good to me. Now will it woo me from a Power Wagon (especially the new gen PW)?? IDK, BUT That TR is sounding pretty good.

BTW, @VoiceOfReason thanks for coming along with your FB page and elevated enthusiasm for the TRX!

#1126 ramajama, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  6. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

Meh, RRB is a coy devil. ;)

7. F8Demon

F8Demon Active Member

Hmmm, so if the rendering isn't even close, I guess the actual concept isn't close either??

8. F8Demon

F8Demon Active Member

So is there zero chance of a 2500 TRX that some were speculating on? What will happen to the Power Wagon? Didn't someone say there was a pic a TRX in the heavy duty brochure? Why would they put it in there?

9. VoiceOfReason

We’re two years out from the Q3 2020 release, so a lot can happen, but was anyone expecting a 2500 TRX at this point? Does a 2500 TRX make sense from a business perspective? It would surprise me because it is already expected to be relatively low volume (high margin) as it is. I don’t see a business model reason for all that design/engineering effort on two different platforms. The TRX is a high speed baja truck, the Power Wagon is more of a mud runner and rock crawler. A TRX will be heavy enough as it is on the 1500 frame, putting it on a 2500 frame would make it even heavier, just slowing it down. TRX will cannibalize some PW sales, how many we’ll find out later, but I think the world is big enough for both. As far as the TRX in the heavy duty brochure, it was just background eye candy. Much like having a mountain range in the background, but celebrating the brand.
    I’m not sure about zero chance, but I think if such a thing were in the works, more would be known about it by now.
    Good questions though.

GasAxe and HotCarNut like this.
  10. VoiceOfReason

I recall several months ago someone saying the TRX concept had nowhere near 500 miles on it - after two years. I also recall seeing it was thrown together in a very short time. If the 37s were causing obvious issues early on or engineering’s more advanced and involved analysis showed premature wear/failure and the cost to accommodate the increased load took the project out of the intended expense constraints of the project, a sensible adjustment would be to ditch the 37s and go with the 35s.
    Concepts don’t need to be even remotely reliable - many are non-functional and don’t even have engines in them. Production trucks have to work, be reliable, and live up to warranty expectations. Many of us want 1,000 horsepower, 1,000 lb-ft of torque, 40” tires, perfectly balanced, aerodynamically perfect with good flight characteristics for those long distance jumps, but if we were tasked with paying for every required fix when our unrealistic fantasy runs into reality, we’d be a whole nuther disappointed.
    The production vehicles have to work, be mass producible, and reliable. Those limitations don’t apply to concepts, which need only to look amazing and attract attention.

ramajama and wtxiceman like this.
  11. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

The regular concept actually has a lot of styling elements of the 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel hidden it. The new TRX will be different... in a good way.

12. Alonzo Del Real

Alonzo Del Real Active Member

How much more would you or anyone guess the trx would be over the rebel? A current crew cab 4x4 rebel is about 5,300lbs....

13. F8Demon

F8Demon Active Member

So a 2500 TRX with the Demon engine and 37's and warranty is too much to ask? Fiiiiiiiiine. : )
    LOL, I agree what we are getting is amazing and a special time in automotive history. I am completely stoked for this vehicle. Hell, I'm impressed with my 2016 Ram Sport, so this is going to be nuts. Going to look sweet next to my Demon. Between the two vehicles I honestly dont see what else anyone could need or want unless high end materials and luxury is really your thing. Pretty proud of Mopar right now, keep up the good work guys.

14. Danny Roberts

Danny Roberts Active Member

Jealous...

VoiceOfReason and GasAxe like this.
  15. Alonzo Del Real

I AGREE COMPLETELY!!! it's amazing to be a mopar fan right now! For me as a mopar or no car kinda guy, gonna love a black trx next to a black demon. 4x4 for winter and the rollercoaster on wheels when nice out

16. F8Demon

F8Demon Active Member

I'm a mopar or no car guy as well pretty much. Even the wife drives a scat pack challenger for her daily driver. What number is your demon? mine is 1951.

17. Alonzo Del Real

Very cool, ...the wife is in a diesel GC. I'm demon 484. Man i'm as excited for trx as I was the demon!! First time i'm going gas instead of my usual Cummins.

18. VoiceOfReason

Two Demon owners . . .
    I have a beat up non-Mopar that is 15 years old and has 269,000 miles on it.
    So, you could say, I've been saving up for this thing for 15 years (17 by the time it gets here).
    Hooray for humble beginnings.
    :p

Alonzo Del Real and wtxiceman like this.
  19. MoparMantis

MoparMantis Well-Known Member

I think there was some speculation a while back. These pictures (if I can get them in) were floating around a while back. I love these hood scoops and would love to put this hood on my pickup. But I'm not sure if there was anything to the speculation at the time.
    [​IMG]

ramajama and VoiceOfReason like this.