AF: Rebel TRX!!! Hellcat RAM | Page 58 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rebel TRX!!! Hellcat RAM

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by chfjim, Sep 29, 2016.

1. VoiceOfReason

VoiceOfReason Active Member

There are a lot of considerations in that question (engine, stronger mounts, drive train, beefier suspension bits, bigger wheels and tires, bigger body panels).
    If I had to hazard a very uneducated guess, I’d think an increase somewhere in the 300 lb. range at least?

Alonzo Del Real likes this.
  2. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Gonna be more then that most likely. The weight of a r/t challenger to a hellcat and a 5.7 grand cherokee to a trackhawk comes out to around a 350 pound difference (same with the charger)

3. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

Yeah what the heck were these Darth RAMS?

VoiceOfReason likes this.
  4. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

ramajama and VoiceOfReason like this.
  5. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Keep these in mind

ramajama and MoparMantis like this.
  6. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

7. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Still waiting for the RamRack!!!

suzq044 and ramajama like this.
  8. VoiceOfReason

OK . . .
    Mopar | SEMA 2018 | Press Conference - from Mopar Press Conference - 2018 SEMA (at https://livestream.com/FCALive/MoparSEMA2018/videos/182810050?fbclid=IwAR27dcskILqkjPnPYdLTgGVcCte6g-MqDcTx5_5W2ExoULppeWlNSrekf_0 )
    426 Hellephant crate engine packs 1,000 horsepower (at https://www.allpar.com/news/2018/10/426-hellephant-crate-engine-packs-1000-horsepower-42739 )
    'I asked if the Hellephant could be adapted for street use and I was told “absolutely not”, so this seems to be strictly a crate engine'

So, Mopar just made a 1,000 horsepower supercharged 426 crate engine putting out 950 lb. ft. of torque.

I did not see that coming. There were hints there, but I didn't think . . . glad to be wrong!

So, the TRX won't be getting a Hellephant, but . . . you just know some damn fool will put one in it.

What I was hoping to hear was news about a production 426 (which I presume will be naturally aspirated) and what it might be going in (like confirmation of the Ram Rebel TR). No such luck, but still, this is pretty cool.

9. LordHobbit

LordHobbit Active Member

You can assume that the majority of what you see there minus the supercharger will probably be the production 426 (7.0l) Hemi. Just replace the supercharger with an A/C compressor

Alonzo Del Real and Devildodge like this.
  10. fargo59

fargo59 Well-Known Member

as a whole, absolutely not. not even close to passing emissions id imagine. however tech from it could be implemented. bigger blower, or the aluminum casting perhaps in a special edition engine. challenger T/A perhaps? the aluminum 6.1 block was 100 lbs lighter than its iron counterpart. could make a nice halo car.

11. VoiceOfReason

That would be nice, as it seems to have a similar build quality to the Demon/Redeye engine, but I suspect the production 426 would not need to be either that solid or expensive. Forged internals? Is that necessary for a naturally aspirated engine? Sure, they could be setting it up to accommodate a blower, but would they? I suspect not.
    It will probably be some time before we see any sort of confirmation about production offerings - not before January I'm guessing.

12. TheViking

TheViking Active Member

What forged internals are we referring to other than the pistons? It appears the 6.4 platform already uses a lot of upgraded components compared to the 5.7.

13. VoiceOfReason

The 6.2 had upgrades over the 5.7, but the Demon/Redeye had upgrades over the Hellcat - I don't recall the specifics, but there were many. The Demon or Redye allpar articles will have all those details. My (uninformed) guess is that the forged component upgrades in the Demon/Redeye engines do not need to be and will not arrive in the production 426 - mainly due to the expense. But, I also did not expect Mopar would supercharge a 426 Hemi (which is actually closer to a 428 than a 426, being a 427+), so it's not like my guesses are gospel.

14. VoiceOfReason

https://www.allpar.com/news/2018/06/2019-challenger-hellcat-redeye-packs-797-horsepower-41173
    "The Hellcat Redeye is powered by a similar 6.2-liter supercharged Hemi to the one in the 2018 Demon, including the 2.7-liter supercharger, stronger (than the original Hellcat) engine internals, stronger valvetrain components, an improved oiling system and an upgraded fuel system with two duel-stage pumps."

2018 Dodge Challenger Demon: the most specialized Hellcat (at https://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger/demon.html )
    "The valve train and rotating assembly of the 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon (crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons) have been strengthened."
    " . . . the lower pulley on the Demon is affixed with more than twice the torque of the unit on the Hellcat engine."

https://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger/demon-deep-dive.html
    "a new version 6.2-liter supercharged Hemi, with 62% of the content changed from the original Hellcat Hemi — including a new block, crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons, and supercharger assembly."
    "The supercharged Hemi of the 2018 Challenger Demon has a heavily revised rotating assembly, including a forged [alloy] steel crankshaft with a 90.9mm stroke and revised balancing which is secured against induction hardened crank bearing surfaces running in high load capacity beatings with individual journal optimized main bearing clearances having as much of a difference as 10 microns compared to the Hellcat."
    "The Demon’s pistons are comprised of forged high strength alloy with an inclined box wall for added support; piston cooling jets provide 100% more oil flow cooling to each cylinder. The revised connecting rods feature an enlarged big end and enlarged shank with a tapered small end, along with high tensile fasteners on the rods – resulting in a capacity of 210,000psi."
    "The Demon’s Hemi is kept oiled by a high flow, 25cc/revolution oil pump driven off of the crankshaft nose. In addition to the normal oiling flow through the engine, the Demon includes 8 high flow piston cooling jets with check valves, with up to double the oil flow of the Hellcat system. The top end flow to the springs and rocker arms arrives with 33% more volume than the Hellcat."

I doubt that a naturally aspirated 426 will have these types of upgrades as there would appear to be no need but added expense.
    There are some events coming up, though I doubt we'll get any TR/TRX updates out of them, but I'll watch just the same:
    The Los Angeles Auto Show // Nov.30 - Dec.9, 2018 (at https://laautoshow.com/ )
    January 14-27, 2019 - North American International Auto Show (at https://naias.com/ )

15. VoiceOfReason

Heavy Duty unveiling coming in January, then what?
    Will the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer be unveiled in February at the Chicago Auto Show, or is that still likely too soon? Or maybe March, in New York?
    I'm wondering if the TR/TRX will be the next big news after the 2500/3500 hurrah or the Jeep(s). I don't believe I've seen mention of spy shots for either the TR or the TRX - and by spy shots I mean of the production body work, not the engineering test mules (assuming the sales conference screen shot and it's 6" wider track reference are true). I haven't seen any murmurs on the Jeeps of late either. My hope is that some time around Q2/Q32019 we start getting SRT Demon -esque weekly videos and a Q3/Q4 formal announcement/unveiling pertaining to a 2020 arrival date (for a 2021 model year vehicle) as that seems to line up with the consistent rumors.
    Not sure where the Jeeps would fit into that plan with the Gladiator still soaking up attention.
    Anyone else care to speculate?
    Excited to see the Heavy Duty news when it comes out - Power Wagon looks like it will be a hit.

ramajama likes this.
  16. VoiceOfReason

17. VoiceOfReason

I’m skeptical for three reasons:
    - this is the first I’ve heard of it (TRX @ NAIAS)
    - it would overshadow the HD refresh
    - nary a spy shot of a prod TRX body with the wider track

Perhaps they are bringing the TRX because there is some expectation that the refresh may fall flat when people are looking for the new platform?
    The business sense in me says focus on HD and draw attention to that because they will be available for sale soon. The leaked presentation slide showed the TRX as Q3 2020, which seems a long way off to be doing an unveil now. But, it is possible that the marketing wing of FCA won that argument and they want the brand attention.

We’ll know in a few weeks - I’ll be there either way.
    Thoughts?

18. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member