AF: Rebel TRX!!! Hellcat RAM | Page 61 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rebel TRX!!! Hellcat RAM

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by chfjim, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Mopar392

Mopar392 Well-Known Member

2. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

40 prototype trucks sound as weird as a 10 speed trans in a Mopar. The pics look good but I thought they said all the trucks were black or white.

VoiceOfReason likes this.
  3. TheViking

TheViking Active Member

Yea, the 10 speed seems unlikely considering the availability of a suitable 8 speed already. So does the ARB air locker considering OEM's typically use electronic lockers. But stranger things have happened.

I'm going to call it click-bait until someone reputable says otherwise.

4. F8Demon

F8Demon Active Member

What's everyone's thoughts on what configurations will be available on the TRX? Of course Crew Cab, and sadly no way a Regular Cab, what are our chances of getting a Quad Cab?

5. VoiceOfReason

VoiceOfReason Active Member

https://5thgenrams.com/could-a-turbocharged-inline-six-be-the-option-for-an-affordable-trx-offering/

I sincerely hope they do not do this. It would be fine for the base Rebel, Grand Cherokee, and others, but not the TR/TRX.
    I still like the 7.0L TR idea at a lower price point. It won’t have the Hellcat prestige but a 426/427 truck would be quite popular.
    With all the negative press the Raptor got with their v6, it seems a strange thing to want to repeat that debacle. Ram would be opening themselves up to the criticisms of the only options being a six banger or a truck nobody can afford. The perception will be strongly negative.

6. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

I Disagree especially if the I6 is named "Slant Six" or "Six Pack" in Performance Spec.

7. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

Yup looks like Prefix is building the test mules, I hope it is, makes sense. That article pretty much gives it away without mentioning them by name. They told me when I was looking at the Minotaur that they had something ready for the DT and hoped they would be involved in the TRX in some capacity...I guess that came to fruition. They’ve had intimate knowledge of the DT for a very long time and I believe they’ve been working on this for awhile. Good for them!
    I think it would be cool if Prefix made every TRX for RAM. They deserve it for showing that the 1500 could be made into a Raptor beater.

#1207 ramajama, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    danbek and VoiceOfReason like this.
  8. VoiceOfReason

I don’t think that is their business model. I understand they were involved in the concept TRX, and I recall reading that they painted production Vipers, and I believe they were involved in the Hellephant crate engine, but I’m not aware of them manufacturing production vehicles outside of their Minotaurs, which were essentially a very involved off-road kit.
    My guess is they may have been involved in some development and maybe even some tooling, but I would be surprised to learn that a subset of Ram trucks were not being made by Ram at an FCA plant. If they were, that would mean the TRX is going to be extremely low volume, perhaps even a limited run, and you won’t touch one even without options for under $85k.
    I also spoke with Prefix about a Minotaur/TRX replica and they are quite a cool company to deal with - no shortage of responses and interactions if you reach out to them. Ultimately, for what I wanted, they would have been more than happy to do it, but just with the basics of a TRX like replica, the price was already heading north of $100,000.

ramajama likes this.
  9. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

I have a soft spot for them..LOL! At the time they were running a special on the Minotaurs by securing a special deal on the 1500 Sport models. I could’ve nabbed a Minotaur, sans-supercharger, for just a little more than what my Power Wagon listed at. But it was the very end of the DS run and I just didn't want to spend that type of money on a DS of any kind :)
    Regardless of who actually makes the “production” version, I’m fairly certain Prefix is the company mentioned as being behind the test mules and prototyping. Makes complete sense.

10. VoiceOfReason

Oh yeah - I thought it was almost comical that they weren't mentioned by name, but all indications point to Prefix. I could care less who makes them (though if anybody other than FCA, I would prefer it be Prefix because they're very accommodating). I just don't see them making thousands of these things. 3,300 Demons were sold, I understand from a few months ago the Trackhawks had sold over 7,000. Prefix can make dozens, but I don't seem them cranking out thousands of them.

11. VoiceOfReason

If Prefix is the Hellephant outsourcing vendor, then this would indicate to me they will most definitely not be involved in production Ram Rebel TRX manufacturing outside of perhaps design and some tooling engineering:
    The Hellephant is sold out (at https://www.allpar.com/news/2019/05/the-hellephant-is-sold-out-44717 )
    If the rumor is true and they (if it is Prefix) maxed out at 100 engines, then thousands of Ram Rebel TRXs are definitely out of the question.

To answer your question F8Demon:
    I doubt anyone knows for certain, but my guess is you are right about the Crew Cab. No idea on the others. If sales are good, they may add more configuration options over time. I don't know what the competition's options are.

The leaked Powerpoint slide showed a Q3 2020 release. Does anyone recall how far in advance of the Demon release announcement the video teaser series began? The official announcement was April 2017 (Dodge Challenger - Wikipedia (at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Challenger#SRT_Demon )), with the production availability later in the fall (Q3, 2017 . . .) which seems like forever ago. If I recall, the ifyouknowyouknow video teasers were released leading up to the New York Auto Show for the official unveiling. So, my guess is, the TRX will follow a similar schedule, which means we aren't going to hear much until a little under a year from now. Until then, spy shots and rumors, I guess.

I'm still plagued by that rhetorical question Mike Manley asked in that town hall . . . "How much horsepower does it have?" with a huge smile on his face when he asked it to a member of the audience near the front row. Are they putting a modified Redeye in the thing? Are we looking at a 797 (or even 808) horsepower truck?
    The Prefix rumor stated 39 Hellcat test vehicles and 1 Redeye, but that is an unreliable anonymous rumor. But why would he ask if it were the standard 707 (or perhaps 717) of the Hellcat (plenty of room for increased airflow, which provided the 2019 Challenger its horsepower boost, in a truck configuration).

I was delighted with the 575 of the concept!

AlexB and Devildodge like this.
  12. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

13. VoiceOfReason

Freezing at 1:06, the gap between the top of the tire and the underside of the wheel well is significant (also evident at around 00:46-00:48 for the rear).

At 1:08, it does seem to be a wider track (it’s also consuming a fair amount of real estate in the parking space).

Thank you for the video Wilbur!

Alonzo Del Real and wilbur like this.
  14. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

I just enlarged the video and agree, the tires are huge!

15. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Well-Known Member

I want know what's under the other covers!

wilbur and VoiceOfReason like this.
  16. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

A truck i'd imagine

17. VoiceOfReason

18. VoiceOfReason

Anyone planning to attend?
    I might be there. Look for a guy wearing a set of black leather motorcycle road race leathers.

19. TheViking

TheViking Active Member

Need to see actual track footage or going to have to call poser here :D

wtxiceman and VoiceOfReason like this.