Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rebuild price?

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Mopar001, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Mopar001

Mopar001 New Member

70 Chrysler 300. 440 TNT. 111K miles, low compression. What is the average price to have a shop rebuild it? I want to keep it stock.

2. Redman

Redman New Member

Is this a numbers matching 440, and if so this reply may be for another vehicle. I have purchased my last two long blocks from
    Jasper crate motors. Although both are 4.0 liter 6 cylinders my 99 Jeep Cherokee core exchange included $ 2600.00 out the door. That was 01/2016. The second 4.0 for my 91 Comanche Truck was $2350 12/2012, and both engines come with 3 Year 100,000 mile warranty. Both of these rebuilds are alive and very well. Depending on extra machine work and the extra time to do the rebuild [chasing parts] it really is a pretty good deal. Thought I would share, it may help down the road! Good luck !!

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Shop policy and the degree of the rebuild vary. If you are planning on having a local rebuilder do the work, call for specifics. It will help if you can call 2 or 3 places to get a feel for what they would charge. They may want to assess the engine that you have first.
    Jasper would likely deal with an exchange engine, so you wouldn't get back what you sent them. They may have a rebuilding service where they would rebuild your specific engine.
    Is it tired or noisy?

pt006 likes this.
  4. pt006

pt006 Active Member

001; unless the rods are knocking, I would overhaul your existing motor. The crank, rods, and pistons are tough. Most go 150-200,000. New brass freeze plugs, a hone job, new rings and bearings, timing chain, hardened exhaust valve seats, hydraulic lifters, oil pump might be all you need to get another 50-100,000 miles out of her. Note that the TNT is a high compression engine.

5. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Its wery hard to say Before its teared apart.
    But since it has low compression ill assume it needs to be bored and get new pistons.
    When its apart you may also get the crank measured and if necessary machined and new bearings.
    Check camshaft and lifters, do a valve job.
    - do it right at the first try, dont cheap out if its a matching numbers car.

6. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Do you know the cause of the low compression: rings or valves?

7. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Low compression can also be caused by stuck piston rings. Common problem if the engine has been sitting.