Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rebuilding an engine, do I need to bore?

Discussion in 'Neon' started by neoncrazy101, May 6, 2017.

1. neoncrazy101

neoncrazy101 Member

I have a 97 block that came out of a Neon I bought with 143k. Its been sitting around and I want to do a rebuild and put DOHC pistons and my magnum head on it but one thing I'm not sure of, without taking it to a shop how do I know if I need to have it bored?

2. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

These are specifications and an image of how to measure the cylinder bores. These are from a 2003 Neon shop manual but I would expect them to be identical for a 1997 engine block.

Cylinder Block Meausrements.GIF

Cylinder Block Specifications.GIF

3. hemirunner426

Level 2 Supporter

Without having the tools or the experience?I would take it to an automotive machine shop to get it and your piston's checked..An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

4. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Things to keep in mind with the newer engines and hardened cylinder walls, a couple of things to check without the tools. Is there a ridge at the top edge of the cylinder? If there is, the top ring of the piston has scraped the cylinder wall and caused there to be a ridge that is about quarter inch, with these cylinder walls and their hardness, it takes a whole lot more to do this, I see 150,000 and even 300,000 mile engines without this wear at all. Next thing is scratches or gouges in the walls, which, if they can't be simply honed out, time to bore. Thirdly, piston fit in the bore. If the old pistons in it now are tight and the piston can't be rocked, or the fit is tight (without the rings), likely chance of needing a bore is extremely minimal. If after the pistons are out, or with a piston at the bottom of the stroke you can see the honing scratches on the cylinder walls, that is another good chance you don't need to bore. If the cylinders are clean, you should be good to go with new pistons and a light hone job.