AF: Remove Instrument Panel 1989 Dodge Ram B250 Van | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remove Instrument Panel 1989 Dodge Ram B250 Van

Discussion in 'Vans' started by carl cath, Sep 2, 2015.

1. carl cath

carl cath New Member

I need to replace the Oil Pressure gauge which is clearly defective. Need help in specific instructions on how to remove the instrument panel. I removed the bottom panel and the screw on the left side. There were also screws where the glove box is located. The knob from the headlight pull will not come off and the instrument panel which extends over the top of the dash is still not loose. What holds this thing on? Really need some specific help here.

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. I don't have the service manual for this and the picture in the parts catalog doesn't have a good view of all the screws. The panel is also held in by retainer clips that will release with a steady pull.
    My suggestion is to gently pull on the plastic panel to see where it still may be fastened to the dash assembly.
    See p. 8A-100 for the instrument panel parts view. P. 8A-300 shows the cluster apart.:
    http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Chrysler_Service_Parts_Catalog/CD1/JTI8196/90t.PDF

The headlamp switch knob release tab is a 'button' on the bottom of the switch. it has to be pressed in while pulling out the knob and shaft together. All corporate vehicles were similar.
    80157ed9.gif

You may want to invest in a factory service manual if you will be doing your own work. It could easily pay for itself. A larger public library may also have factory service manuals in the backroom stacks. The dashboards in these vans were pretty much the same from 1979-2003. (I have not done business with this seller).
    http://www.egmcartech.com/store/198...-Manual-B100-B150-B250-B350_191650538780.html

carl cath likes this.
  3. carl cath

carl cath New Member

Thank you very much. This is helpful. I am really surprised I cannot find step by step instructions anywhere on the internet. A 16 year old vehicle I just thought someone else would have removed the dash to get at the gauges and posted the steps. I copied the PDF and the photo for reference. Will try again today and see how it goes. If I get it off, I'll post step by step instructions with photos.

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Disconnect the battery neg cable when removing the cluster if it is equipped with an ammeter. The ammeter is powered all the time and can short out against the metal dash when removing the cluster.
    If it is an automatic, the PRND21 indicator cable may have to be unclipped from the steering column shell to remove the cluster.
    The steering column may also have to be dropped down slightly to pull the cluster out. Rest the steering wheel on the seat cushion. Avoid letting the column 'hang' by its lower fasteners.

5. carl cath

carl cath New Member

I got it out. I did disconnect the battery. I disconnected the pos cable. Is that a problem? No arcs or sparks. The only issue was the speedometer cable, but there was enough slack in the cable to get the cluster out far enough to reach behind the oil gauge, disconnect it, and remove the nuts. It is automatic but no problems with shift lever or steering column.

Looking for a new gauge now. Hopefully that will be the easy part. Dealer wants $143.00 for the part alone.

6. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I just looked at the 1988 parts catalog and it shows all the cluster trim individual screws. I wish I had looked at that before.
    http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Chrysler_Service_Parts_Catalog/CD1/JTI8196/88t.PDF

The oil pressure gauge is Mopar part # 4075241. Google around for it. Arizona Parts shows one.
    I assume that you have already tested oil pressure and the sender, or is the gauge failure obviously the gauge?
    The neg battery terminal removal is general shop practice. It is safer having ground inactive in case something crosses the battery pos to ground somewhere if ground (-) is still active. There is less chance of an accidental short.

7. carl cath

carl cath New Member

You have been incredible helpful. This looks much harder than it is. Having a lot of problems finding a replacement however All the sites say it is a discontinued part. Seems Arizona Parts is closed from June 22 to late September. Thinking of buying a digital gauge and making some modifications. Maybe change both battery and oil pressure gauges.

8. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

What is the nature of your gauge failure. Can it be repaired?
    Is there a red light that lights behind the gauge for low oil pressure? I seem to remember this as a secondary warning to get the driver to look down at the gauge.
    The cheapest way would be to convert to a red 'telltale' warning light if you don't have that. You want some kind of low pressure warning, maybe until Arizona re-opens.
    Finding parts for a 26 year old truck is hit and miss. It's frustrating. I couldn't imagine trying to find information and parts for old vehicles without the internet.
    The '90 and up gauge has a different part#. I don't know what is different about it.
    Is there a local salvage yard that would sell you a used B-van cluster? They may have 'interchange' information that would tell you what years would work.