AF: Rendered: Theoretical Next-Generation RWD Cherokee | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rendered: Theoretical Next-Generation RWD Cherokee

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Ryan, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

So we've talked about this possibility in several threads now and it seems that moving to Giorgio Global is the most logical choice for the next-generation Cherokee.

The current Cherokee is not a bad vehicle, but the design is seriously lacking due to the FWD architecture that prevents attractive proportions. It also suffers from a lack of interior room, especially when compared to the room found inside Compass, which obviously has a smaller footprint but far better packaging.

This move would leave the Compass to compete with the mainstream FWD crossovers from Honda, Toyota, GM, etc, while the Cherokee could revert to a boxier design with more attractive RWD proportions and luxury content from the next-generation Grand Cherokee. With that in mind, I decided to visualize what this could look like.

Cherokee-RWD.jpg

XRT2SRT, finc.jb, 12soldier and 24 others like this.
  2. Ryan

I think Jeep will have to make a move with the Cherokee soon. They say "by 2022" all models will have 4xe variants. Can the current Cherokee electrical architecture support plug-in hybrid? If not, I don't think they'd redesign it so late in the lifespan. We also haven't heard anything about a next-generation Cherokee other than rumors that it would either go to Giorgio Global or Small-Wide. Maybe it'll disappear for a year or so until a new model debuts. Either way, this is too important of a segment for them to completely leave it, especially with the next-generation Grand Cherokee increasing a bit in size.

xjgary, tlc, UN4GTBL and 1 other person like this.
  3. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

Nice render, but the headlight DRL “eyebrows” look too big. Or something. I have a feeling they should end at the same point as the rear edge of the headlight.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  4. Ryan

That design was borrowed from the Yuntu concept.
    jeep-yuntu-concept.jpg

James A, page2171 and gforce2002 like this.
  5. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

They may say by 2022, but saying and doing are two separate things and going by history I would not take their timeframes too seriously.

I do agree that the Cherokee’s size is right at the heart of the current market and already practically every main competitor has newer, more advanced entries.

freshforged, Zagnut27, tlc and 2 others like this.
  6. Ryan

The Cherokee is the only model that seems uncertain to have a 4xe variant by then.

Renegade and Compass have 4xe versions in other markets. The Wrangler 4xe will be introduced next week and the Gladiator could easily use the same powertrain as the Wrangler. Grand Cherokee and the Wagoneers will also have 4xe versions. The Cherokee is the only model in Jeep's lineup that has a murky future in that regard.

xjgary, gforce2002 and UN4GTBL like this.
  7. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

Can a new Cherokee by 2022 bring sales up 300k?

Thus enough to bring Belvidere back to 3 shifts.

8. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

For all that I love my Cherokee, there is definitely room for improvement.
    • RWD
    • Boxier design (improved rear headroom with the sunroof & better cargo room)
    There is supposed to be a DesertHawk coming, but who knows...

I will say that I'd love to keep my V6 AND have it as a hybrid. The MPGs in my wife's Prius continue to absolutely amaze me.

xjgary, Archknight, Zagnut27 and 3 others like this.
  9. Mopar02

Mopar02 Mopar02

That's a nice design, Ryan.

I'd seriously consider the Cherokee if FCA moved it to a RWD platform.

Would be cool if it shared parts with a RWD performance Dodge crossover as well to have Belvidere at full capacity.

10. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

11. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

Will the PSA people put up with FCA's continued nonsense? By this I mean a lack of marketable products for the Chrysler and Dodge brands along with some Jeep models which compete with each other. The Chrysler brand truly needs a crossover based off the Pacifica. Such a vehicle would end up competing with the Cherokee, but if the Cherokee should become rear drive based, there would be a much greater difference between such vehicles. The Renegade and Compass have different target groups and the Compass seems a size larger than the Renegade. The four cylinder Compass and the four cylinder Cherokee are too much alike in many aspects.

The cost in time and resources needed to create a 4xe Cherokee would be better put to use creating a Pacifica based Chrysler crossover which would share hybrid technology along with the minivan.

The market presently offers long three row crossovers and shorter 2-row crossovers built off the same platform. Examples of this are the Honda Passport/Pilot and Chevrolet Traverse/Blazer. I'm assuming the next Grand Cherokee will be three row and allow such a marketing move. Obviously the rear drive based Jeeps will be more SUV than mere crossovers.

12. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

I love it! I would definitely consider something like that.

Ryan likes this.
  13. savio.79

savio.79 Active Member

I’m drooling about a smaller next-GC strictly Giorgio-based and with Stelvio’s handling

UN4GTBL likes this.
  14. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

I remember hearing that the Next Major Cherokee update is said to incoporate some Giorgio rear suspension bits and.or Rear structure with CUSW.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  15. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

I'm sure it wasn't a CUSW. Small Wide maybe.

I would not exclude a possiiblity that they'd considered all three suitable platforms for the Cherokee KM. Of course maybe they haven't made decision.

UN4GTBL, Adventurer55 and ScramFan like this.
  16. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Cherokee or Grand Cherokee? Grand Cherokee ain't gone be smaller.

xjgary and ScramFan like this.
  17. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Some people around here would say that separate showrooms are nonsense.

PSA's policy can only be achieved with separate showrooms. Actually separate buildings. That's something which FCA is currently trying with Jeep brand in US.

I don't get this. How can Pacifica based crossover go against Cherokee?

Donte Lindsey, ScramFan and Dave Z like this.
  18. savio.79

savio.79 Active Member

Excuse me for my poor english.
    Obviously, this is the next-Cherokee thread, so I was talking about it, and hoping it will based on the Giorgio platform like Stelvio. I was imaging it like a little GC of the next generation, that will be based on the Giorgio platform (enlarged).

ScramFan likes this.
  19. savio.79

savio.79 Active Member

Some days ago, I was bored; I took a picture of a Stelvio parked near me, and I made my imaginary next Cherokee. Don't laugh, I only had in iPhone and my fingers to make this :-D
    IMG_7582.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Same wheelbase, same length or so.

xjgary, Chebby7, Mr. Fusion and 9 others like this.
  20. savio.79

savio.79 Active Member

@Ryan

Hope you don't mind:

Cherokee-RWD.jpg

xjgary, AlfaCuda, ZackAttack and 9 others like this.