AF: Rendered: Theoretical Next-Generation RWD Cherokee | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rendered: Theoretical Next-Generation RWD Cherokee

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Ryan, Aug 27, 2020.

1. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Because people don't always shop just within the rather rigid market segment barriers that product planning creates? People may commonly shop across several segments.

2. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

So people cross shop Cadillac XT6 and XT4?

3. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Pacifica-based crossover would likely be a full-size Traverse, Telluride, Atlas competitor. The Cherokee is a segment or two smaller.

I don't think GMC Terrain competes much with Buick Enclave, which is an equivalent comparison.

jclick, page2171, ehaase and 2 others like this.
  4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

“So people cross shop Cadillac XT6 and XT4?”

Why not?

We cross-shopped Charger, 300C, 200, and T&C in 2013 (after ruling out Passat, a Subaru, Camry, Avalon, BMW 3, Volvo S40, and Accord). Ended up with the 300C.

I'm casually looking for a replacement for the Dart now. The list so far as been Corolla (hybrid and manual), Accord Sport, Civic Si, Mazda3, Renegade, Compass, base Volvo, base BMW, Mini, Fiat 500, Miata, and Fiata.

In case you're wondering, it's now down to used Mazda3, 2020 Civic Si or 2021 Civic Sport, and long-shot Fiata, if I can stand the suspense of knowing which major Fiat part will fail just out of warranty (based on my experiences with the Dart).

At the moment it appears what I'm going to be doing is fixing the Dart's latest failure and soldiering on with it for a while. We may just drop down to the 300C and, if we get desperate for a second car one day, ProMaster. No more fun little car for me.

(ProMaster is a recent acquisition meant to be a sortakinda RV.)

5. tabutler

tabutler Active Member

Are you going to build out the ProMaster, and move onto Van Life? You can be the guy down by the river. :)

tlc likes this.
  6. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Or even bigger if it's Pacifica based. Why not offer it as a proper 3 row with as much interior space as in Pacifica.

The story about Pacifica and its platform... It's wide, very wide with slightly more than 2 meters. And if you make something at the same assembly line it would by similarly wide. I don't see how they can make it narrower.

There is a proverb in my county for those people who can't make decision between two very different options:
    I'll pee, I'll poop.

Tony K, UN4GTBL and ScramFan like this.
  7. Ryan

In any case, Chrysler does need some crossovers. I think Chrysler could occupy the current Cherokee's segment as long as the Cherokee moves to RWD with the next generation. Like someone else mentioned, the rumored Dodge crossover could be built alongside a Giorgio Global-based Cherokee which would free up space in Brampton for something else. Flagship RWD Chrysler crossover?

jclick, Chebby7, page2171 and 4 others like this.
  8. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Does sound much different from me and teh cars i cross-shopped. Before getting the gti I looked at charger/challenger v8, focus st, grand cherokee/durango, and pretty much anything else i could that was v8 or easily tunable

page2171 and UN4GTBL like this.
  9. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

Looks good Ryan. But how about making that front end more distinctive than the other Jeeps (Grand Cherokee, Compass, etc.) Maybe throw some Wrangler or original Cherokee cues in there. It just doesn't stand out enough. Even from it's competition. Just my humble opinion of course

UN4GTBL likes this.
  10. James A

James A Active Member

How much of the Yuntu concept will we see in future Jeep vehicles? Like in the upcoming GC? I personally love the DRL's and large inlets. If a new Cherokee looked like this I'd be all over it (with a 6 cylinder)

cdjr77 and UN4GTBL like this.
  11. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

I wonder if Yuntu was the next generation Cherokee design study all along. Just modify the dimensions, clean it up a bit, and use Giorgio.

James A likes this.
  12. Ryan

Okay, here's an alternate.

RWD-Cherokee-Alternate.jpg

Tony K, XRT2SRT, dakota21 and 6 others like this.
  13. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

14. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Maybe they need to go the separate vehicle thing, but do it this way. Jeep and Ram then Chrysler and Dodge. Chrysler, vans and soft SUVs, front drive maybe Peugeot based, and a 300 thrown in. Dodge keeps their rear drive lineup that could be based Giorgio architecture. One building, maybe two showrooms. If dealers have the cash a second one for whichever lines they want to separate. If they could somehow consolidate service under one roof they wouldn't need separate setups for both places, saving money.

15. Ryan

jclick likes this.
  16. aldo90731

Great thread!

Moving Cherokee to a RWD platform would make sense: (a) it would reduce market overlap with Compass, (b) it would give Grand Cherokee room to move more upscale, and (c) it would give Jeep a unique slot vis-a-vis CR-V, RAV4 and Forester.

I can see this competing with Ford’s new Bronco Sport.

17. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Bronco Sport is also front drive, though (it's the same architecture as the European Focus), so a RWD Cherokee would push it above that model, leaving Compass as the closest competitor.

KL is already on a longer wheelbase than Bronco Sport, but isn't as wide as the Ford. If it were to go RWD, that wheelbase would lengthen further for the same overall length (Stelvio is 2.9 metres; KL is 2.8; Bronco Sport, 2.7 - that's about 4 inches between each for non-Metric people).

The more I look at Bronco Sport, the more I see it as a Rest-of-the-World model: the power train and platform are both European market: will Americans really buy into the idea of a three-cylinder turbo engine... in a Bronco?

ehaase, ScramFan and UN4GTBL like this.
  18. Ryan

Ford Says It Won't Bring The Bronco And Bronco Sport To Europe | Carscoops (at https://www.carscoops.com/2020/08/ford-says-it-wont-bring-the-bronco-and-bronco-sport-to-europe/ )

KrisW likes this.
  19. aldo90731

Yes, Bronco Sport is FWD. My point was that Ford feels that there’s room for Escape and Bronco Sport side-by-side on the market. Escape competes against Compass; that’d leave Bronco Sport to compete against Cherokee.

I agree, a RWD Cherokee would have a leg up over Bronco Sport.

20. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

@aldo90731 Ah, I forgot about Escape. Understood now, thanks.

@Ryan - I wonder about that. With a PHEV power train, Bronco Sport could certainly meet those CO2 limits, and it's not like Ford hasn't already developed PHEV on its C2 architecture - the C2-based Ford Kuga (your Escape) comes in a PHEV version ... although that was put on an immediate stop-sale and full recall a couple of weeks ago due to fire risks. So maybe not yet...