AF: Rendered: Theoretical Next-Generation RWD Cherokee | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rendered: Theoretical Next-Generation RWD Cherokee

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Ryan, Aug 27, 2020.

1. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

While the Portal concept is way out there in styling and features, it portends a crossover people mover for the Chrysler brand. A production Portal with toned down styling and less science fiction would place it against the current Cherokee. A Chrysler CUV based on the Pacifica is not bound to the same wheelbase or length. For decades the Chrysler minivans were offered in two wheelbases. The short ones were replaced by the Dodge Journey. The Journey is being replaced by what?

Remember what I posted earlier, "The market presently offers long three row crossovers and shorter 2-row crossovers built off the same platform. Examples of this are the Honda Passport/Pilot and Chevrolet Traverse/Blazer." I wouldn't be surprised if the RAV4 and Highlander have the same relationship. Using the Pacifica's platform allows sharing that model's AWD system or the alternate PHEV setup. A crossover wouldn't need the minivan's Stow-n-Go seating and can be much shorter. The shorter two row utility vehicles are a hot segment, but the Cherokee has now become a wallflower at this party.

Quambi likes this.
  2. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

The Escape with the PHEV soup is front drive only. The regular Escape hybrid offers either front or AWD. The Toyota RAV4 Prime is the benchmark for this class of hybrid vehicles.

aldo90731 likes this.
  3. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

I don't see it based on CUSW or CUSW related platform. IMO, it should be based on Small Wide. Jeep is preparing something similar for outside of US. Why not offer it as Chrysler in US and built in Toluca? Offer it both as 2 and 3 row. Same car, 3 row as an option.

IMO, anything based on Pacifica would be too big or too wide for a 2 row. It does make sense for large 3 row only product. Why not offer it with Stow'n'go? Actually I don't see future for minivans past this generation.

Ryan likes this.
  4. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

If they move it to a RWD platform I'm expecting BMW, Ranger Rover and similar comparisons. And it can't be cheap.

Someone on another topic, I can't remember who, said that RWD Cherokee may start with 1.3 turbo. It won't happen. Already current Cherokee is overweight for a tiny turbo engine. IMO, even new 1.5 turbo version would not work. It should start with 2.0 turbo with premium price tag.

5. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Stelvio is 2.818. Both KL and Bronco Sport are around 2.7 but KL has that huuuge front overhang. Because of it side line looks bad and it adds both weight and length. But it's a price they paid for having a V6 engine.

ScramFan and UN4GTBL like this.
  6. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Well-Known Member

This 1000 times!!!

7. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I like the idea of it having 2.0 turbo, 2.0 turbo PHEV, and inline-6 engine options. The inline-6 could be the high output version for a Cherokee Trackhawk.

Chebby7, James A, page2171 and 4 others like this.
  8. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

Yeah, Grand Cherokee is going upmarket and Cherokee is going to fill the $40kish spot with the tried and true inline six at the top trim level. It will share Gorgio core parts but the interior trim, seats, etc., will be lower quality compared to WL.

Tony K and ScramFan like this.
  9. jsucha

jsucha Well-Known Member

1000% better looking than the current Cherokee.

10. aldo90731

I think next Cherokee styling should go back to a square XJ-like profile. That’d be a home-run.

The KL design is being copied by Hyundai, Kia, Nissan, and everyone else.

11. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Range Rover Velar. Dimensions and proportions with some Jeep design cues.

Square? Uhm, no.

KrisW and kevin m. Henry like this.
  12. Ryan

I wouldn't want it to be square like the Renegade and Wrangler, but I do want it to be boxier than the current model.

Tony K and cdjr77 like this.
  13. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Moving Cherokee to Giorgio will reduce the number of platforms used by Jeep to three (Small, Giorgio and Wrangler) + the 1500 pickups one (that will be sold in some markets).
    With Giorgio platform, and since platform is not only the "body", but also parts and components, FCA will have a reduction in costs since many parts and components will be the same in Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Alfa Romeo, ... ...

AlfaCuda, UN4GTBL, T_690 and 2 others like this.
  14. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

With the amount of vehicles heading to that platform it makes no sense why they wouldn't use it for cherokee

UN4GTBL and kevin m. Henry like this.
  15. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

That is one thing the Bronco Sport has going for it. The roof doesn't slope down. Any RWD based Cherokee needs to return to a flat roof. Simply more utilitarian for both cargo room and roof rack.
    (Yes I know the Bronco Sport roof goes up but the roof rack is still horizontal.)

16. dodge999

dodge999 Active Member

It is amazing to see the quality of this rendering done by a non professional. FCA designer should wake up or bring new talents from the exterior like hyundai did a couple years ago. Maybe Peugeot could help to challenge the US design department.

Ryan likes this.
  17. Ryan

Hyundai and Kia have really been bringing the heat lately, especially in exterior design. Most of their recent models have looked great, except for the Elantra. The more I look at it, the more I hate it - especially from the rear.

E1E019CA-1FC2-4065-93BF-BF2AC137C575.jpeg

UN4GTBL likes this.
  18. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Cherokee issues aren't really the sloping roof but the insane floor height which hurts cargo room a ton. When you have the seats down in both the cherokee and a gti they have nearly the same amount of cargo room, 54.7 for the cherokee, and 53.7 for the gti. When you compare it with seats up the gti is 17.4 and the cherokee is 25.8. You would think by looking at it with the seats up the cherokee should blow away the gti in terms of cargo space when the seats down, but that isn't the case. The cherokee is over a foot longer, 2-4 inches wider, and 5-8 inches taller which means they're losing any advantage in the floor and more then likely interior body panels

Ryan likes this.
  19. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

You wouldn't like PSA's efforts - they're very European, very cutesy. But maybe wait until Thursday before you write off FCA's design abilities.

Also, no disrespect to Ryan, whose photo work is great (and who may or may not have seen the real product too), but designing a car is about sculpture, not drawing. There are tons of cars out there that look cool in photos and horrible when you're walking around them, because they were designed to look good in the advertising photographs. A properly good design is good from any angle.

FCA is actually one of the few design houses that still makes clay-models of cars - not because it can't do it with a computer (it is also one of the world-leaders in the use of computers in vehicle design), but because Ralph Gilles rightly insists that a three-dimensional object needs to be felt and touched and it needs to occupy space as you move around it before you can properly judge it.

There's a lot of bits of FCA that could be a lot better, but for me, the design department is not one of them. The bigger problem is that designed products are not being signed off for production.

Tony K, XRT2SRT, Quambi and 5 others like this.
  20. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

MEAN......Mean. (Spoken in my best Andy Griffith / "Sheriff Taylor" voice)

But, then again......It can't be mean if it's true.:D

#60 77 Monaco Brougham, Aug 29, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2020