AF: Rendered: Theoretical Next-Generation RWD Cherokee | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rendered: Theoretical Next-Generation RWD Cherokee

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Ryan, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Assuming they drop the Pacifica? Which is CUSW based. And the Grand Commander.

2. Ryan

That would make sense I guess, if we are wondering why Chrysler hasn’t already released a CUSW-based crossover. Maybe the answer is because that platform is being phased out.

A Journey-sized small-wide platform crossover would work well I think and could probably be introduced at a low price point to effectively replace the Journey. But other than that, if CUSW is dying... what will Chrysler get? Something based on Giorgio Global? Maybe a twin to the 3-row Grand Cherokee?

ScramFan likes this.
  3. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

It would be difficult to hit the typical Chrysler/Dodge price point with Giorgio Global for anything smaller than WL.

However, the forthcoming Alfa Rome Tonale will be of comparable wheelbase and track to KL Cherokee. That Alfa is being built on "Small-Wide II" (or whatever it's called), so there is something there already to provide a new FWD Compact SUV.

4. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

A ton of companies still use clay, Lambo is the only one that doesn't really use clay from the top of my head. The reason cars look better in pictures vs in person is a disconnect in the design department going from paper to clay/digital

5. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Chris Bangle's "Flame Surfacing" for BMW was a technique designed for photography, and was heavily copied, particularly by the other German carmakers. When you walked around those cars, there were more bad viewpoints than good. Kind of like those optical illusion paintings you see on sidewalks...

6. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

You stole my thoughts. :D

Yeah, German cars look much better on pictures. On the contrary some FCA cars if not most are much better in real life. For example Giulia and Stelvio.

7. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

It's still a disconnect in the design department. Tha clay sculptors job are to try and get the most "movement" as they can but at the end of the day the designers get the last word on how the adjust/change the way the car looks

8. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if a new Fiat branded 3-row crossover starts production in Toluca and is sold everywhere but the USA. This model will be based on the Toro and replace the departed Dodge Journey/Fiat Fremont.

9. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Hard to know why they didn't do this with the Grand Commander already - building extras in China perhaps.

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  10. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

Perhaps FCA no longer has enough social credit for business in China. (I don't know if I'm being sarcastic or not.)

MJAB and 77 Monaco Brougham like this.
  11. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

Don't worry. You are being sarcastic.
    And...I LOVE IT!:)

12. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Fiat? Not sure that plan is still on.

Jeep 3 row on Small Wide is coming.

13. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Manley when became CEO was very quick to stop most of NON Jeep / pickups projects.

14. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

If companies wait long enough every platform gets phased out.

15. Ryan

Not just about waiting. Giorgio Global and small-wide effectively made CUSW irrelevant.

ScramFan likes this.
  16. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

More than likely he was carrying out the wishes of Mr. Elkann.

Tony K likes this.
  17. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Well, he was a Jeep man before chairman.

18. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

No the "Agnelli", as tradition they don't interfere with which vehicles are made.
    They only overlook the strategic alliances and general financial results.

The last time that an Agnelli pushed for a model was many years ago when Lapo Elkann pushed for the production of Fiat 500, He was at head of Fiat marketing in 2003 (or 2004) and left Fiat in 2005 (it had a lot of personal problems).
    While Lapo Elkann is interested in car, his brother John, the own that was that was nominated "king" of the family, is more interested in sailboats (and money).

ScramFan likes this.
  19. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

The Maserati preferred by John Elkann.

Maserati Multi 70 at Cap2Rio 2020 race.

20. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Arguably the car guy was late Sergio although he didn't have engineering degree. He pushed for Alfa and Hellcats.

Manley may have mechanical engineering degree but he is far from a car guy. Not to mention that he his no knowledge about European FCA brands. What each of them represents. He gave some products to Maserati which would better fit Alfa Romeo and has killed all connections to Ferrari.

Manley was also a mastermind behind PSA deal. Something which late Sergio never wanted ans had rejected many times. Even Elkann rejected PSA once or twice after Sergio's death. Elkann was behind Renault deal which IMO was ongoing when Sergio was alive.