Allpar Forums banner

Rendered: Theoretical Next-Generation RWD Cherokee

16K views 130 replies 34 participants last post by  hmk123 
#1 ·
So we've talked about this possibility in several threads now and it seems that moving to Giorgio Global is the most logical choice for the next-generation Cherokee.

The current Cherokee is not a bad vehicle, but the design is seriously lacking due to the FWD architecture that prevents attractive proportions. It also suffers from a lack of interior room, especially when compared to the room found inside Compass, which obviously has a smaller footprint but far better packaging.

This move would leave the Compass to compete with the mainstream FWD crossovers from Honda, Toyota, GM, etc, while the Cherokee could revert to a boxier design with more attractive RWD proportions and luxury content from the next-generation Grand Cherokee. With that in mind, I decided to visualize what this could look like.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

See less See more
#2 ·
I think Jeep will have to make a move with the Cherokee soon. They say "by 2022" all models will have 4xe variants. Can the current Cherokee electrical architecture support plug-in hybrid? If not, I don't think they'd redesign it so late in the lifespan. We also haven't heard anything about a next-generation Cherokee other than rumors that it would either go to Giorgio Global or Small-Wide. Maybe it'll disappear for a year or so until a new model debuts. Either way, this is too important of a segment for them to completely leave it, especially with the next-generation Grand Cherokee increasing a bit in size.

#8 ·
For all that I love my Cherokee, there is definitely room for improvement.
  • RWD
  • Boxier design (improved rear headroom with the sunroof & better cargo room)
There is supposed to be a DesertHawk coming, but who knows...

I will say that I'd love to keep my V6 AND have it as a hybrid. The MPGs in my wife's Prius continue to absolutely amaze me.

#11 ·
Will the PSA people put up with FCA's continued nonsense? By this I mean a lack of marketable products for the Chrysler and Dodge brands along with some Jeep models which compete with each other. The Chrysler brand truly needs a crossover based off the Pacifica. Such a vehicle would end up competing with the Cherokee, but if the Cherokee should become rear drive based, there would be a much greater difference between such vehicles. The Renegade and Compass have different target groups and the Compass seems a size larger than the Renegade. The four cylinder Compass and the four cylinder Cherokee are too much alike in many aspects.

The cost in time and resources needed to create a 4xe Cherokee would be better put to use creating a Pacifica based Chrysler crossover which would share hybrid technology along with the minivan.

The market presently offers long three row crossovers and shorter 2-row crossovers built off the same platform. Examples of this are the Honda Passport/Pilot and Chevrolet Traverse/Blazer. I'm assuming the next Grand Cherokee will be three row and allow such a marketing move. Obviously the rear drive based Jeeps will be more SUV than mere crossovers.

#17 ·
Will the PSA people put up with FCA's continued nonsense?.
Some people around here would say that separate showrooms are nonsense.

PSA's policy can only be achieved with separate showrooms. Actually separate buildings. That's something which FCA is currently trying with Jeep brand in US.

The Chrysler brand truly needs a crossover based off the Pacifica. Such a vehicle would end up competing with the Cherokee, but if the Cherokee should become rear drive based, there would be a much greater difference between such vehicles
I don't get this. How can Pacifica based crossover go against Cherokee?

#12 ·
So we've talked about this possibility in several threads now and it seems that moving to Giorgio Global is the most logical choice for the next-generation Cherokee.

The current Cherokee is not a bad vehicle, but the design is seriously lacking due to the FWD architecture that prevents attractive proportions. It also suffers from a lack of interior room, especially when compared to the room found inside Compass, which obviously has a smaller footprint but far better packaging.

This move would leave the Compass to compete with the mainstream FWD crossovers from Honda, Toyota, GM, etc, while the Cherokee could revert to a boxier design with more attractive RWD proportions and luxury content from the next-generation Grand Cherokee. With that in mind, I decided to visualize what this could look like.

View attachment 29927
I love it! I would definitely consider something like that.

#26 ·
Or even bigger if it's Pacifica based. Why not offer it as a proper 3 row with as much interior space as in Pacifica.

The story about Pacifica and its platform... It's wide, very wide with slightly more than 2 meters. And if you make something at the same assembly line it would by similarly wide. I don't see how they can make it narrower.

There is a proverb in my county for those people who can't make decision between two very different options:
I'll pee, I'll poop.

#24 ·
“So people cross shop Cadillac XT6 and XT4?”

Why not?

We cross-shopped Charger, 300C, 200, and T&C in 2013 (after ruling out Passat, a Subaru, Camry, Avalon, BMW 3, Volvo S40, and Accord). Ended up with the 300C.

I'm casually looking for a replacement for the Dart now. The list so far as been Corolla (hybrid and manual), Accord Sport, Civic Si, Mazda3, Renegade, Compass, base Volvo, base BMW, Mini, Fiat 500, Miata, and Fiata.

In case you're wondering, it's now down to used Mazda3, 2020 Civic Si or 2021 Civic Sport, and long-shot Fiata, if I can stand the suspense of knowing which major Fiat part will fail just out of warranty (based on my experiences with the Dart).

At the moment it appears what I'm going to be doing is fixing the Dart's latest failure and soldiering on with it for a while. We may just drop down to the 300C and, if we get desperate for a second car one day, ProMaster. No more fun little car for me.

(ProMaster is a recent acquisition meant to be a sortakinda RV.)

#25 ·
“So people cross shop Cadillac XT6 and XT4?”

Why not?

We cross-shopped Charger, 300C, 200, and T&C in 2013 (after ruling out Passat, a Subaru, Camry, Avalon, BMW 3, Volvo S40, and Accord). Ended up with the 300C.

I'm casually looking for a replacement for the Dart now. The list so far as been Corolla (hybrid and manual), Accord Sport, Civic Si, Mazda3, Renegade, Compass, base Volvo, base BMW, Mini, Fiat 500, Miata, and Fiata.

In case you're wondering, it's now down to used Mazda3, 2020 Civic Si or 2021 Civic Sport, and long-shot Fiata, if I can stand the suspense of knowing which major Fiat part will fail just out of warranty (based on my experiences with the Dart).

At the moment it appears what I'm going to be doing is fixing the Dart's latest failure and soldiering on with it for a while. We may just drop down to the 300C and, if we get desperate for a second car one day, ProMaster. No more fun little car for me.

(ProMaster is a recent acquisition meant to be a sortakinda RV.)
Are you going to build out the ProMaster, and move onto Van Life? You can be the guy down by the river. :)

#27 ·
In any case, Chrysler does need some crossovers. I think Chrysler could occupy the current Cherokee's segment as long as the Cherokee moves to RWD with the next generation. Like someone else mentioned, the rumored Dodge crossover could be built alongside a Giorgio Global-based Cherokee which would free up space in Brampton for something else. Flagship RWD Chrysler crossover?

#29 ·

View attachment 29927
Looks good Ryan. But how about making that front end more distinctive than the other Jeeps (Grand Cherokee, Compass, etc.) Maybe throw some Wrangler or original Cherokee cues in there. It just doesn't stand out enough. Even from it's competition. Just my humble opinion of course

#36 ·
Great thread!

Moving Cherokee to a RWD platform would make sense: (a) it would reduce market overlap with Compass, (b) it would give Grand Cherokee room to move more upscale, and (c) it would give Jeep a unique slot vis-a-vis CR-V, RAV4 and Forester.

I can see this competing with Ford’s new Bronco Sport.

#44 ·
If they move it to a RWD platform I'm expecting BMW, Ranger Rover and similar comparisons. And it can't be cheap.

Someone on another topic, I can't remember who, said that RWD Cherokee may start with 1.3 turbo. It won't happen. Already current Cherokee is overweight for a tiny turbo engine. IMO, even new 1.5 turbo version would not work. It should start with 2.0 turbo with premium price tag.

#37 ·
Bronco Sport is also front drive, though (it's the same architecture as the European Focus), so a RWD Cherokee would push it above that model, leaving Compass as the closest competitor.

KL is already on a longer wheelbase than Bronco Sport, but isn't as wide as the Ford. If it were to go RWD, that wheelbase would lengthen further for the same overall length (Stelvio is 2.9 metres; KL is 2.8; Bronco Sport, 2.7 - that's about 4 inches between each for non-Metric people).

The more I look at Bronco Sport, the more I see it as a Rest-of-the-World model: the power train and platform are both European market: will Americans really buy into the idea of a three-cylinder turbo engine... in a Bronco?

#38 ·
Bronco Sport is also front drive, though (it's the same architecture as the European Focus), so a RWD Cherokee would push it above that model, leaving Compass as the closest competitor.

KL is already on a longer wheelbase than Bronco Sport, but isn't as wide as the Ford. If it were to go RWD, that wheelbase would lengthen further for the same overall length (Stelvio is 2.9 metres; KL is 2.8; Bronco Sport, 2.7 - that's about 4 inches between each for non-Metric people).

The more I look at Bronco Sport, the more I see it as a Rest-of-the-World model: the power train and platform are both European market: will Americans really buy into the idea of a three-cylinder turbo engine... in a Bronco?
Ford Says It Won't Bring The Bronco And Bronco Sport To Europe | Carscoops (at https://www.carscoops.com/2020/08/ford-says-it-wont-bring-the-bronco-and-bronco-sport-to-europe/ )

#40 ·
@aldo90731 Ah, I forgot about Escape. Understood now, thanks.

@Ryan - I wonder about that. With a PHEV power train, Bronco Sport could certainly meet those CO2 limits, and it's not like Ford hasn't already developed PHEV on its C2 architecture - the C2-based Ford Kuga (your Escape) comes in a PHEV version ... although that was put on an immediate stop-sale and full recall a couple of weeks ago due to fire risks. So maybe not yet...

#53 ·
Moving Cherokee to Giorgio will reduce the number of platforms used by Jeep to three (Small, Giorgio and Wrangler) + the 1500 pickups one (that will be sold in some markets).
With Giorgio platform, and since platform is not only the "body", but also parts and components, FCA will have a reduction in costs since many parts and components will be the same in Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Alfa Romeo, ... ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.