AF: Rendered: Theoretical Next-Generation RWD Cherokee | Page 5 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rendered: Theoretical Next-Generation RWD Cherokee

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Ryan, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Well thank God he didn't get Renault. Sergio was a lot like Lee. Good at turning around the company, but either became bored, or didn't understand quite what to do after they turned them around. Lee had a great successor be and didn't pick him. Sergio, not so much.

2. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

I know but it seems like so many things move so slow that once it gets close they proclaim, "Since the new one will be coming out in a couple of years it doesn't make sense to offer that now for the current one." They did that with diesel engine with the JK Wrangler. Took forever them held it back until the JL arrived.

3. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Lido cared about cars and customers first, profits second. He believe that if he did a good job making and selling cars, the rest of the business would take care of itself. In fact, Kirk Kerkorian, Chrysler’s largest single investor, many times expressed his displeasure with Lido in public.

With Sergio I felt like it was the other way around: profits and investors come first and second; customers, quality, service...are all afterthoughts. You always knew he was there to please Elkann first and foremost. Being a long-time customer has never counted for much.

valiant67 and redhed like this.
  4. Adventurer55

I would like to see after the merger is complete, someone appointed to run NA that actually has power and decision making over NA. I have felt for quite sometime that all final decisions did not come from Auburn Hills and no one here had any kind of say. They always look like they go with hat in hand to Europe and say geez dad can we build this please, please? It may indeed not be that way, but from the outside it sure does.

5. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

That's not how it happens. Each division runs its own market, and chooses its own product to build, and pays for it out of its own resources.

FCA US's apparent inability to put more models in production is worth discussing properly, but blaming Italy is not a way of getting to the causes. I'd start by saying that RAM/Jeep are both a blessing and a curse: they make so much money that it's hard to justify a new product versus making more of those ones; and also, when new product is shown to be viable, it's given to Jeep (there was an early proposal for a Chrysler full-size SUV to be built at Warren too, but FCA US decided to allocate all production capacity to Jeep Wagoneer instead). On top of that, FCA US is constrained by manufacturing locations (too few and too big) and cash (retiree commitments eat up a lot of those profits).

6. Adventurer55

If that is indeed the case, then NA should have a full product line. Virtually all of the profits for quite a long time now has come from NA. So it's hard to believe that they have complete control over final say of all new products for NA.

Tony K and valiant67 like this.
  7. Adventurer55

As a follow-up. I my opinion, which is based on an observance only, if we go with that line of thinking. American managers have deemed anything other then Jeep and Ram as non essential. Meaning little to no resources will be allocated to Dodge or Chrysler. Durango is an exception I imagine because they had to upgrade it somewhat because it's the only non Jeep SUV left, and sells in decent numbers. I don't count Hellcat versions because they're halo versions of old platforms and require next to no money to bring to market in comparison to new ground up vehicles.

8. valiant67

valiant67 ...

One can say the product planning in North America is carried out by those in charge in the North American market.
    However, I am firmly convinced that the financial framework they must operate under is dictated from above. They are not true autonomous.

page2171 and cygnus like this.
  9. Adventurer55

Agreed. My guess would be the profits go to Europe, then allocated to each region. The distribution must be similar to income tax redistribution here in the states. Some regions are allocated more resources then their profits, others like NA don't receive all theirs back that was paid in.

10. hmk123

Level III Supporter

But maybe he also believed in order to survive you need to be free of too much debt. Will see how this turns out in the long run. Would be interesting to see where FCA is on this list. But according to Auto Motor und Sport the list of the top ten most leveraged companies in the world includes these car companies: VW, Daimler, Toyota, Ford and BMW. Or given how “cheap” money has gotten was that the wrong strategy?

11. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

In large companies there are internal conflicts between managers, it something that derives from the way most managers since decades are educated and formed at work.
    That originates in U.S.A., in origin had what one could think are good reason, that is "internal competition" makes the company growth. In reality that "competition" is exacerbated since personal or small groups interests conflict with the ones of the others.
    It is easy to see that, just look at the "selection" in consulting firms, is nothing "hidden". Your collegue is not your "ally", is your "enemy", and when there is the chance a push to make the other fall is far from being the exception.

The decision were took for most part in Auburn Hills, and, big error in my opinion, Sergio Marchionne was CEO, but also at head of NAFTA.
    One manager took also a lot of power, and is Mike Manley.
    Ram is, as for other manufacturers, almost free since is a close market.

To have an idea of what have done Manley in FCA just look at his curriculum as written in FCA website.
    To note the style of how is written, the names of the companies, that are different from the ones used, for example, in Palmer CV.
    If I remember well, but I could be wrong, the style of curricula in FCA website was different when Marchionne was CEO.

note: Palmer is rumored to be the one that had to became CEO, but refused since Marchionne death (that was supposed to help from outside the transition). The one that is said was the designated by Marchionne was Altavilla, the strategist of the company, the one that materially made the Fiat - Chrysler deal. He went in conflict with John Elkann after Marchionne death.

Board of Directors | FCA Group (at https://www.fcagroup.com/en-US/group/governance/board_of_directors/Pages/default.aspx )
    "...
    Michael Manley was appointed Chief Executive Officer of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V. on July 21, 2018.

Previously, Mr. Manley has served as Head of Jeep brand, Head of Ram brand and Chief Operating Officer for the APAC region. He was also the lead Chrysler Group executive for the international activities of Chrysler outside of NAFTA, where he was responsible for implementing the co-operation agreements for distribution of Chrysler Group products through Fiat’s international distribution network.

Prior to those roles, Mr. Manley was Executive Vice President - International Sales and Global Product Planning Operations. Appointed to this position in December 2008, he was responsible for product planning and all sales activities outside North America.

Mr. Manley joined DaimlerChrysler in 2000 as Director - Network Development, DaimlerChrysler United Kingdom, Ltd., bringing with him extensive experience in the international automobile business at the distributor level.
    ..."

To note that he was also the one in the pyramid for product planning outside NAFTA.
    Example, Fiat Toro was done only because the head manager of LATAM spent himself for it and almost "imposed" to do it. Same for Fiat Tipo, backed by Altavilla, that found the money making development with Tofas, that is a parithetic joint venture with an turkish group.

Some product for NAFTA were delayed also because the money spent for recalls already done, and for new ones such as the not improbable new one for 2.4 engine.

#91 MJAB, Aug 31, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    ScramFan and T_690 like this.
  12. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

@MJAB

We have saying about people like Mike Manley:
    He loves his own image.

#92 T_690, Aug 31, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    ScramFan and MJAB like this.
  13. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

It will be interesting to see how FCA’s product strategy changes as the world continues to retrench from globalization.

Every automaker is rethinking its China strategy; supply lines are being redrawn. The pandemic is going to leave the entire world heavily indebted, but the developing world is going to feel it most. Regulations in EU and N.A. are diverging apart.

This is all going to impact how vehicles are developed, built and marketed.

xjgary, wvutuba, hmk123 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Adventurer55

I want to thank you for that information. Been very enlightening. I recently read a write up about the new Strata pickup. I gotta tell you I think that thing could sell here if marketed right. Obviously not as a Fiat, but maybe a new Dodge Rampage, or Ram something. I don't think a number id is correct for a lifestyle truck. Again, thanks, I love to read and learn about the intrigue.

MJAB likes this.
  15. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

x2. The Cherokee cargo area is bigger than my Caliber cargo area was, but only just bigger.

The sloping rear roof and high rear load floor are both definite issues for the rear cargo room, especially compared to CUV competitors (Rav4, CRV, etc) and for it's footprint.

If you don't have a full size spare back there, you get a little bit more cargo room, but it's still a significant downside to the Cherokee, and other than the slow downshift programming, my biggest complaint about mine.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  16. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I have met very few people at the top who weren’t absolutely in love with themselves and everything they had to say. I wonder what color are the clouds in their world...maybe there aren’t any. Lol.

xjgary, Morty, jclick and 2 others like this.
  17. hmk123

Level III Supporter

I miss Sergio's passion.

djsamuel, turbonetic and serpens like this.
  18. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

As much as I like Ralph, he seems like he's been relegated to selling the product that the others made.

UN4GTBL, Chebby7, thebluegoat and 2 others like this.
  19. tabutler

tabutler Active Member

[​IMG]

Ryan - I love this rendering! You did a great job with it. What would it look like with the Wagoneer grill and headlights?

cdjr77, Morty and Ryan like this.
  20. valiant67

valiant67 ...

It seems like there are two themes at work:
    1) they are fixated on the tall blocky design that was ushered in with the 2005 Chrysler 300.
    2) Cherokee’s criticism and Sergio throwing the 200 designers under the bus seems to have damped anything but blander designs.
    And I guess I’ll add a third:
    3) the styling department isn’t immune from the vast talent drain of the past decade or more.

UN4GTBL and wvutuba like this.