AF: Rendered: Theoretical Next-Generation RWD Cherokee | Page 7 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rendered: Theoretical Next-Generation RWD Cherokee

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Ryan, Aug 27, 2020.

1. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Wrong info. I don't know why is someone pushing it. Maybe someone made it in ill faith. Dunno.

pumadog, tlc, savio.79 and 2 others like this.
  2. savio.79

savio.79 Active Member

Oh don't worry! Mine was just a sarcastic question about this one:

pumadog, ScramFan and T_690 like this.
  3. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

The rake on the A column gives the appearance of a much larger front overhang compared to WK2.

Again, they got A/B/C/D wrong.

Crash standards can be met and they can get the look right. KBE and Design can do it. I don't know why they do these ZJ design studies (Jeep Grand One Concept Celebrates the 1993 Grand Cherokee | News | Car and Driver (at https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15342295/jeep-grand-one-concept-the-1993-grand-cherokee-zj-gets-another-day-in-the-sun/ )) and then crank out a Range Rover. It's like a CYA exercise in saying - 'yeah, we totally honor the past...please enjoy our newest heritage inspired wind swept crossover'.

Capable is one side of the coin yes. But the crown jewel is the look.

#123 cygnus, Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  4. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I'm curious what production-ready photo you are basing this on? Because I don't see a large front overhang. I do have some other design complaints with WL, but the overhang is not one of them.

If you're basing your opinion on the photo in another thread that was cobbled together and based on a spy shot, you shouldn't be doing that...

danbek, Tony K and T_690 like this.
  5. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

One-off show-cars and styling concepts don’t have to be crash-tested.

I’m reading a lot of bellyaching about the WL design, which is strange because not one single photo of the actual WL design has been posted here. “Here’s what I think it’ll look like” is not “here’s what it does look like”.

Windscreen rake angles, for comparison.

Range Rover Velar: 30º
    Jeep WK2: 33º
    Alfa Romeo Stelvio: 34º
    Jeep ZJ: 36º
    Jeep XJ: 42º
    Jeep JL: 58º
    Jeep JK: 63º

These are visual measurements, and so might be out by a couple of degrees. Stelvio is not less upright than WK2. though.

ScramFan, Tony K and Ryan like this.
  6. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

I wonder what the rake of the Hummer will be :rolleyes:

Bad time to be going in the opposite direction guys.

A camera pans perpendicular to Pacific Coast Highway 1 as it trails a shadow - neckbeards in Fiats look up in terror as they are passed by something enormous, the drums of Aerosmith's "I'm back" become louder and louder. The vehicle turns into a scenic drive. A boot steps out of the vehicle and the camera slowly pans up - Arnold smiles and takes off his aviators, looking into the camera - "I told you I'd be back" -

"I'm back in the saddle again" plays out the the commercial as the camera pans around the vehicle and then zooms out - Hummer - Like nothing else on Earth.

#126 cygnus, Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  7. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

The Cherokee cargo room issue was because they chose "design" over function, which is wrong for a Jeep IMO.

Sure the 4x4 system and full size spare take away some of the cargo room, but that sloped rear design kills the cargo potential it could have had.

8. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

The compass has a more sloped roof than the cherokee but it has more cargo space while being an overall smaller cuv

ScramFan likes this.
  9. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

Might depend on what we are referring to when we say "sloped roof". The Compass slope starts farther forwards, but the rear glass is more vertical than the Cherokee.

When I said "sloped rear design" I meant that the back window and D-pillars are far more angled than needed, and that kills useful cargo capacity.

Cherokee-Gallery-Exterior-Iconic-Style-Modern-Adventures-Desktop.jpg.image.2880.jpg Gallery-Exterior-Sweeping-Curves-Athletic-Design-Desktop.jpg.image.2880.jpg

Having said that, the I agree, the Compass is well designed to make sure of it's footprint. I wish the same had been done with the Cherokee.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  10. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Different platform. Long nose on the Cherokee which adds lots of length but also weight.

I'm looking forward to a Low D 3 row Jeep.

11. hmk123

Level III Supporter

It would be nice if it had some design resemblance to the original XJ...

ZackAttack likes this.