AF: Renegade - Renegade thoughts? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renegade Renegade thoughts?

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by Rich Hutchinson, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Rich Hutchinson

Rich Hutchinson I'm so far behind I thought I was in first place.
    Level 2 Supporter

Have my eyes on one of these. Just put AC and struts on the PT so not moving on soon, but it does give me time to see how the Renegade holds up. How's the owner experience so far? Anything jumping out to avoid?

Thinking 6 months to a year at this point, so plenty of time to research.

Stratuscaster likes this.
  2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Rich Hutchinson likes this.
  3. ramcat

ramcat New Member

For whatever it is worth, we had several PT cruisers and traded the most recent one in on a Renegade. The Latitude has less than 3K miles and we really like the power and handling. On a 2.4 l with 4wd at 3k miles, we are averaging 25.2 mpg and it is not babied (at all) - about 50/50 highway/City at 75-80 mph (highway only). Slide indicator on dash shows 40mpg on highway, but seems unbelievable to me. Renegade is a very good transition from a PT with much more power, far better turning radius, better mileage, and easier entry/exit. It is a sub-compact, but wide and tall as a minivan. Recommend taking the optional spare tire (standard on Trailhawk). Got the intermediate Uconnect display - if you have a stand alone gps, it's good enough - else upgrade. If you buy, make the dealer walk through the display configurations with you - saves manual reading and experimentation time.

Stratuscaster likes this.
  4. Rich Hutchinson

Level 2 Supporter

Wow I always have thought the PT was really easy to get into, this is good news. Turning circle really couldn't be worse I'm going to have to get to a dealer and drive one. Thanks for the feedback!

5. BismrkBear

BismrkBear Well-Known Member

We recently bought a Trailhawk, and will be keeping our PT. I agree with Ramcat's observations and I will add a few more things. The Trailhawk comes standard with the spare tire, and TFT screen. I have been monitoring our mileage in town and we are right in line with his numbers even though Duluth is very hilly and in the middle of road construction, two things that work against mileage. Using the TFT screen has been a fun way to try and increase mileage.

The usability of the Renegade is amazing. With the flat load floor I was able to haul my DJ equipment to a local marathon water station last month. With the PT I would have had to remove the seats to fit the speakers.

Last of all it feels SOLID. Try one out, you will understand what I am saying.

In the meantime the PT is our second vehicle. I have loved it over the years and it is still very useful.

Prabhjot likes this.
  6. Int

Int Active Member

I hope you treat us to a go-in-snow report when it's time. That, after all, is why many people might choose a Renegade.

WS23Mopar likes this.
  7. WS23Mopar

WS23Mopar Active Member

+1

Many of us in the snow belt of the US need to buy vehicles that can handle the winter. I have no desire or need for a rock crawler, mudder, off road vehicle but I do need something that can get through a foot of snow and a steep icy driveway.

RonGD likes this.
  8. Int

Int Active Member

Yes, the past few winters have been good for xUV sales. It took a while to start seeing Cherokees but now they're everywhere. I've yet to notice a Renegade but that could change.

9. BismrkBear

BismrkBear Well-Known Member

Believe me that is one of the reasons I bought it. I've lived in the snow belt for enough years to know how to drive in the stuff and it rarely stops me. But I actually will be looking forward to a snow storm once winter comes so I can test it out. Also looking forward to the heated seats. BUT this can all wait while I enjoy summer.

10. Rich Hutchinson

Level 2 Supporter

I got stuck in the snow in my driveway this past winter so that's a consideration as well. I have to turn a tight left while going uphill and the garage is right there and I was pushing snow; just too much for the PT. Had to dig out ruts with a shovel before I could get it in. Good to hear about the cargo room, that's hard to tell with just pictures. Looking forward to getting into one.

11. CLShifter

CLShifter Member

I bought a Renegade Latitude 1.4T manual two weeks ago today. I have about 1600 miles on it already, and I'm still head over heels in love with it. One thing you all should know...please don't crucify me.. .I didn't get the 4x4. I thought long and hard, and I just couldn't justify it. I live in North Carolina. If it snows an inch nobody goes anywhere anyway. I grew up and learned to drive in Buffalo, NY, and never had a four-wheel-drive vehicle. I travel there every year at Christmas, sometimes by car sometimes by plane, but that's just about the only time I may really face snow driving. That's not enough to justify the extra purchase cost, weight, maintenance and fuel economy loss of the 4x4.

As it is, the Renegade model I purchased fits my needs and wants perfectly. It's a practical hatchback with plenty of space and extra height for ease of use and a very nice driving position. It's a manual with a short wheelbase, quick steering, surprisingly agile handling and a curb weight only around 3100 lbs, so it's engaging and fun to drive and is averaging just above 30 mpg mixed. The interior is comfortable and well-appointed with uConnect 5.0, Sirius/XM and full Bluetooth integration including text message reading and full voice commands with my Android phone. And I get the satisfaction of knowing that, despite its Italian roots, my purchase of the Renegade contributes to the continued existence of Chrysler.

I feel very fortunate to have found one on a local dealer lot with the drivetrain configuration, options, and color I wanted (Omaha Orange), and without the options I didn't want to pay for, namely the heavy and potentially troublesome MySky roof, and overpriced SatNav that's not as good as what's on my phone.

Morty, Prabhjot and Stratuscaster like this.
  12. Int

Int Active Member

I congratulate you for getting what suits your needs.

RonGD, Prabhjot and Stratuscaster like this.
  13. CLShifter

CLShifter Member

LOL, thanks. The "crucify" statement was sort of tongue-in-cheek, keeping in mind what some of the Wrangler/XJ crowd would be likely to say.

Morty likes this.
  14. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level 2 Supporter

You mean the, "Ermergherd! The travesty of a 2WD Jeep" crowd?

15. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I finally had chance to jump in a new Renegade a few days ago. I didn't have much time but I did like the layout and the interior materials (it was a limited I believe). My main concern was on how much room I had in the drivers seat then if I could sit in the left side rear seat without moving the drivers seat, therefore I was "sitting behind myself". It's a nice reference to tell if there would be enough room for kids in a cars seat sitting behind me (I'm 6'5" 230lbs). I was able to get comfortable pretty easy up front. I really liked the sitting position, loads of headroom, pretty good sightlines all around, and the telescoping steering wheel was great. What I found however, was the bottom of the center stack was styled in such a way as to square it off at the bottom, which put the hard corner right into my right shin/knee. I fiddled around some to get into a better position, but that intrusion was uncomfortable no matter how I sat. I gave up and tried the back seat. Deal killer, my legs were right up into the backseat. If I were in the market for a non-Trailhawk Renegade, I would have to stick with the Subaru Forester on space and comfort alone. I really hoped I could fit in the Renegade too.:(

valiant67 likes this.
  16. Int

Int Active Member

The GasAxe Test. Excellent.

If the Compass will be a stretched Renegade then maybe that will do.

GasAxe likes this.
  17. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

I know what your saying....so many cars on paper look real good for interior room but they NEVER mention knee room. Never tried a Renegade but I have been in other cars where the center stack hits my knee, but the biggest problem are the huge consoles im most cars, it always rubs my right leg,,,DEAL BREAKER.

GasAxe likes this.
  18. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I don't care about sitting behind myself, but the lack of knee room was a deal killer on the Renegade for me. But I'd have never bought one anyway. I'd have kept my Cherokee. The only reason I traded was for towing and both the Renegade and Cherokee weren't the proper vehicles for that.

19. Rich Hutchinson

Level 2 Supporter

I'll definitely keep knee room in mind when I get to check one out...

20. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I wish they had traded half the headroom for a quarter more leg room. I'm out of the market for a Renegade sized vehicle anyhow with the kids getting a bit older and hauling friends is entering the picture. The Renegade looked to be a nice balance of crossover and Jeep toughness which is a step up over the KL Cherokee, IMO, that is too compromised on the crossover side. There wasn't much room for cargo in the back either. If you had more than two people with you, it would be tough to fit a cooler, tent, sleeping bags, etc.