Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renegade transmission questions

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by ECT72, Dec 26, 2016.

1. ECT72

ECT72 Member

Hello all -

A few quick questions about the 2017 Renegade transmission - has it improved? Still with hesitation issues and poor shift quality (other issues)?

Thinking of purchase

Thanks in advance

2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Your best bet is to drive one you are interested and see how it behaves.
    In my opinion, there are some that shift well and others that don't. Way too much variation between units.

Doug D likes this.
  3. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

Drove one ('17 Renegade) the other day and it was fine, also drove a Cherokee 3.2 with the 9 spd also fine.

4. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Well-Known Member

Do you mean variation between models, i.e. shifts poorly in a 200 but shifts well in a Renegade? or do you mean the variation is totally random, like within the same model and configuration, one shifts well and another shifts poorly.

For the original poster, the ZF 9Spd Transaxle has a dog clutch that used for several different shifts, using the different kind of clutch results in a different kind of shift. This is normal for this transmission, but most people are not used to it and some don't like it, or are unwilling to learn and assume something is wrong with the trans.

But yes, the first Jeep Cherokee's with this Trans did not have the software tailored properly and resulted in a lot of problems. Other models have better tailored the software and the Cherokee's have been fixed, but still there are a few complaints that this trans is still a little finicky. Most people now are not having problems with it.

5. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Variations within models. My Cherokee was great, every one I test drove used felt like crap though the test drive isn't long enough for one to adapt. Every Chrysler 200 I rented felt different, even after several days and several 100s of miles no two ever felt alike.