AF: Rented a 2019 Grand Cherokee | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rented a 2019 Grand Cherokee

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee, Durango, etc' started by chuzz, Jul 2, 2020.

1. chuzz

chuzz Allpar Legacy

Hey Guys, we recently took a short trip to TN and my son rented a 2019 GC for the trip. Now, I have a bad back anyway, so my opinion here may be biased. I loved the ride height and power of the Pentastar 3.6 engine in this thing. That baby has some power. I can only IMAGINE what a hemi would have been like. All of the controls were laid out nicely and easy to get to. My issue was with the seats. This one had the completed leather interior and I found the passenger side front seat very uncomfortable. No matter what position I used for the adjustable seat, I could not get comfortable. After being in the vehicle for about 2 and a half hours, my left leg and buttock started to hurt. We kept taking breaks, but even stopping ever 2 hours or so didn't help. I tired adjusting the seat up and down, fore and aft and using the lumbar adjustment. No matter what I tried, NOTHING helped. I was taking ibuprofen every 4 hours too and that didn't help. All in all,though, the vehicle performed pretty much flawlessly. There was one incident where the auto on/off failed and it wouldn't start after sitting at a traffic light. Once it did start (after sitting through the light much to the anger of the folks behind us) my son said there was a notification on the dash about the hood latch being loose. We hadn't had the hood open in over 1,000 miles of driving, so I had him pop the hood, I checked the latch and slammed it as hard as I could. We didn't have that issue again, but I DO NOT like that feature on any vehicle. I think it could get someone killed and wouldn't want it on mine. Over all, we had a nice trip and for the 3 hours I drove on the way home, my leg and buttock didn't bother me at all. As soon as my son decided he couldn't take the riding anymore and I got in the passenger seat, my pain returned. The next 9 hours sucked.

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I know it varies by person, but I've found the Grand Cherokee/Durango seats comfortable, but the ones with the ventilation (cooling) built in were less comfortable on the seat bottom than those without.

3. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

The seats in the Camry I rented a few weeks ago were uncomfortable as well. Like you after two hours of driving I had to get out and walk around a bit and give my butt a break.

4. chuzz

chuzz Allpar Legacy

Well, I stand corrected, my son said it was actually a 2020 model with about 14,000 miles on it. And you're right about the seats, Mark. They had the built in ventilation. We never had to put it in 4 wheel drive, but it sure handled some of the rough back roads in TN that we traveled like a charm. Plenty of ground clearance to drive over the dead animals without dragging a muffler or gas tank! LOL My son liked it so much, that he's thinking about looking at a used one with a FABRIC interior and getting rid of his 2019 Corolla. He's got a lead foot and LOVED that 3.6 power.

5. LouJC

LouJC Well-Known Member

One thing about my 07 Grand Limited Hemi that I love is the front seats, they are the most comfortable of any vehicle I’ve owned in 48 years of driving. Several 8 hr trips to the F1 race in Montreal QC and no discomfort. Even better than a friends ‘16 Grand Cherokee that we took on the trip last year.

chuzz likes this.
  6. LouJC

LouJC Well-Known Member

And even at 13 years old the 5.7 Hemi pulls like a freight train.
    Trips we have made for races:
    5 times up to Montréal QC for F1 (900 miles round trip)
    5 times to Watkins Glen for NASCAR (750 miles round trip)
    3 times to Englishtown NJ to Raceway Park for the drag races (only about 150 miles round trip but the horrible traffic makes it take forever so in the car a long time).
    Love it passes everything but a gas station. Try one with a Hemi you won’t give it back

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  7. LouJC

LouJC Well-Known Member

Hooked up our 20' boat to it (3700-4000 lbs) to take it to the boat yard to get bottom painted, doesn't even feel it! Pulls like the Super Chief!
    end of season '19.jpg

chuzz likes this.