AF: Replaced my HD in my computer, but Win 7 won't 'key up'..... | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replaced my HD in my computer, but Win 7 won't 'key up'.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by Bearhawke, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

I went ahead and, replaced the 'spinner' HD with a SSD in my homebrew desktop earlier this week; (tried) to reload my (legit) Windows 7 and Key Code, popup told me said code is invalid. Tried to get onto MS Support and, they basically said there was nothing that could be done. I was able to extract my data and OS from the dying spinner and, get it onto its replacement, using a third party software, that was recommended to me in a Facebook group.

Now; does the above mean I need to 'bite the bullet' and, go with Windows 10 and, if such the case, which variety of Win 10 do I purchase? Note this is a personal PC at home.

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

All I can tell you is Microsoft is ending support for Windows 7 in January. If you going to upgrade might as well go to Windows 10. I don't know which version of Windows 10 to upgrade to though.

DC-93 and RalphP like this.
  3. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Microsoft is lying to you, they can help. When you register a copy of Windows, it reads the serial number of your hard drive and makes it part of the license validation every time you boot up. So when you replace a hard drive, the new drive's serial number won't match, resulting in this warning. Microsoft can update it, but they are choosing not to help.
    However, I had a similar issue with my wife's PC when Windows 7 was corrupted, and the recovery CDs were, also. So I bought another copy of Win7 that was "recycled" by a business turning in a PC, and it results in a warning that it's not a genuine copy. Every time she reboots she gets this warning.
    The good news is that you can acknowledge it and ignore it, and continue on with full functionality. It's been 2 years for her, no problem.

Doug D and Bearhawke like this.
  4. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

I too get that my Win 7 isn't a genuine copy bit, either.

Such being the case; I may just wing it and, let the chips (no pun intended) fall where they may...........

5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

There are new sets of license keys. You can either grab one on-line, or you can call Microsoft.

6. dc8flyer

dc8flyer Member

There are several software products for which you can clone the entire drive. This would allow you to clone (copy exactly) your old HD onto your new SSD without any MS issues.

Cloning your drive onto a backup drive also allows you to restore the primary drive should the primary drive crash for any reason.

If possible download Acronis True Image onto the old drive. Then Clone onto the new drive either by a usb cable from the computer to the new drive, or if your computer has more than one Drive bay connection install new drive into that bay.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/aprico...VFG6GCh3CIQmDEAQYASABEgJr7_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The software is as simple as clicking which drive to copy onto another drive.

Acronis True Image 2020 – Backup, Disk Imaging and Cloning for Windows & Mac | Acronis.com (at https://www.acronis.com/en-us/lp/personal/sem?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvIiagJ2a5gIVDFYMCh3FbgY0EAAYASAAEgLAQfD_BwE )

Otherwise W10 is a much better platform, more stable, and has the capability to restore itself if corrupted.

For those familiar with Command Prompt you can also run this command to find OS issues and allow windows to correct. Sometimes you have to run the command several times while restarting each completion.

sfc/ scannow

Open Command Prompt by right clicking on Command Prompt and select "run as administrator". Will take several minutes depending on your system. May want to run that on your old HD as well.