Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restored Ford Police car at Selfridge AFB air show today

Discussion in 'Police, Taxis, Ambulances, etc' started by Fast Eddie, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

The Michigan State Police had a big display at the today's air show. Neat looking Ford police car. IMG_2089.JPG

GLHS60 and wolfsblood07 like this.
  2. pt006

pt006 Active Member

1957 Ford. Probably a 312 or 292 cu in engine. Did Brodwick Crawford ever drive it? Or Robert Michum? Only geezers will understand this foolish question.

Fast Eddie likes this.
  3. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

This brought a smile to my face. The reference to Broderick Crawford and police cars goes back to the early days of television; 1955 - 1959. There was a tv show named Highway Patrol which weekly had a half hour story about experiences based on the California Highway Patrol. You can still view these episodes on YouTube.

I watched the series in the 1950s era and have revisited the episodes on YouTube. I remember 1955 Buick, 1955 Ford, 1956 - 58 Mercury, 1958 Buicks and 1959 Dodge as black and white patrol units used in the series. Here is a link to some still photographs from the series. I do not see a 1957 Ford used as a highway patrol car.

IMCDb.org: "Highway Patrol, 1955-1959": cars, bikes, trucks and other vehicles (at http://www.imcdb.org/movie_47739-Highway-Patrol.html )

Fast Eddie likes this.
  4. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

1957 Ford speedo had digits up to 130 MPH.

Watched Thunder Road a few nights ago!!

Thanks
    Randy

[​IMG]

Fast Eddie likes this.
  5. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Aaah, 'Thunder Road' ------ A great movie! I was a young-un when I first saw it. Was bummed out for week afterwards. Too believable for some. Saw it again a few years ago. And realized what a great voice his girlfriend in the movie had. Real talent.

Highway Patrol is shown late at night on some of the antenna side channels. As I remember it, Broderick Crawford usually drove a Buick. In one of the shows he was a passenger in a 'glass bubble' helicopter and was chasing down some bad guys while the regular cops were driving on a curvy road also chasing them. He landed and chased the bad guys in the woods. They 'got their men'. Of course.... The helicopter had taken off so he needed a ride. In his usual 'kind and gentle' voice he commanded a deputy to drive him back to his car. It was a black 57 Ford.

6. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Kind of reminds me of Jack Webb and Dragnet. " Just the facts mam "