Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Richard Petty Motorsports switching from Ford to Chevrolet, aligning with Childress"

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by BrianinMpls, Dec 7, 2017.

1. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, due to all the safety regs now in place, NASCAR and the track cars will never be the same as we would like it to be. I'd rather not have a template car, but who can argue with safety? It's not going away anytime soon. If Dodge can get in there and get some good advertising, well, I guess that's fine. But not to waste money and dump it later on. Personally, I'd rather they kept that money and spent it on the development of a few vehicles they desperately need now.
    Although people say they like the new nascar format, it don't interest me at all. I liked the long run duration and unscheduled stops. Rounds, I'm not interested in unless it's a boxing match.

2. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Seeing that just reminded me that Petty, for now, goes onto my s#*+list.

3. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

Why?

4. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

He certainly is entitled to his opinion, as are other participants on this board. Unfortunately, executives at 3 of Mopar's main market competitors disagree with him;

'Win on Sunday, sell on Monday' still matters in NASCAR (at http://autoweek.com/article/nascar/race-sunday-sell-monday-still-matters-nascar )

You can also include executives at virtually every other major auto manufacturer in the world in that they compete in some type of well covered major motorsports series even if they do not choose to race in Nascar.

#24 Beentherebefore, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    AvengerGuy and Volunteer like this.
  5. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Anybody racing any "Brand C" stuff goes on that list for me. They also can come back off of it if/when they switch to racing Mopars ;). Been that way for me for 55 years. To me it's always been the car brand that matters, not who is driving it but I can still appreciate watching (not pulling for) an exceptional driver no matter what he is driving.

#25 Beentherebefore, Dec 8, 2017
    Volunteer and Mopar Jerry like this.
  6. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Dodge getting back into NASCAR will get me to pay attention and watch some races again. If the race format continues to look like it was put together by a gaggle of drunken hobos, I won't watch for long. I'll still try and follow Dodges progress though.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  7. Mopar7171

Mopar7171 Well-Known Member

Two washed up teams, Chevy can have them...

8. Clinton H Davis

Clinton H Davis Active Member

You might want to read the entire Dodge returning to NASCAR thread...

This move to Chevy was predicted as part of the strategy for these two “washed up teams” to switch to Dodge in 2019...

9. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Childress I could care less about. But I hate to have to throw Petty to the curb. But, yes I can somewhat agree. We'll have to wait and see if rumors prevail.

10. Volunteer

Volunteer Well-Known Member

'Brand-C' or not, at least the body style closely resembles the street car - - unlike today with no way to tell them all apart - except for the 'bow-tie', 'blue-oval' - etc. on the front. (yet another sigh) :(

11. Volunteer

Volunteer Well-Known Member

'Brand-C' or not, at least the body style closely resembles the street car - - unlike today with no way to tell them all apart - except for the 'bow-tie', 'blue-oval' - etc. on the front. (yet another sigh) :(

12. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I am allowed to have an opinion on these boards, just like you, regardless of being a moderator.

I’ve got better things to do than root for Childress’ grandkids and/or the Petty team that has no real connection to the original Petty Enterprises other than the Petty name.

Mike

#32 Mike V., Dec 8, 2017
  13. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

And I’ve previously posted the exact opposite info, with quotes, from FCA, Ford, and GM reps multiple times that you have repeatedly dismissed.

I agree, however, we are all entitled to our opinions and those opinions should be respected.

Mike

#33 Mike V., Dec 8, 2017
  14. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

That was the year he left Dodge................first race in a Chevy was at MIS.......us guys in the Race Engine Group went there to "cheer him on".:rolleyes:

15. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Unfortunately you are not the typical nascar fan... the typical nascar fan is 100% driver centric and it has been that way for nearly 30 years.

Sad but true...

Mike

GasAxe, mdh1776 and DC-93 like this.
  16. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: MOORESVILLE, N.C. (December 8, 2017) - Richard Petty Motorsports (RPM) and Richard Childress Racing (RCR) announced today a new partnership between the two organizations. RCR will supply chassis and engineering support to the team. The RPM entry will receive horsepower from ECR Engines, the high-performance engine production, research and development subsidiary of RCR. With the transition, RPM will permanently move its team headquarters adjacent to the RCR campus in Welcome, N.C. The move will begin immediately and be completed by January.

"We've had a tremendous amount of success through our team partnerships over the past several seasons", said Richard Childress, Chairman and CEO of RCR. "To bring a storied organization like Richard Petty Motorsports on-board as an alliance partner is a win for each of our organizations."

The newly formed partnership will mean a switch in manufacturer for RPM and place 2018 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series (MENCS) driver and Sunoco Rookie of The Year contender, Darrell "Bubba" Wallace Jr. behind the wheel of the all-new Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 when the iconic No. 43 hits the track for the first time in 2018 during Speedweeks at the Daytona International Speedway leading up to the 60th running of the Daytona 500.

upload_2017-12-8_15-46-29.png

The No. 43 Click n' Close Chevrolet Camaro ZL1

RPM will remain an independent race operation, but the change allows for the team to collaborate with RCR. The move also unites two of the sport's most iconic teams and cars. RPM's No. 43 and RCR's No. 3 will now work together for the first time to push forward both organizations' goals of winning races and championships.

"This is our next chapter of Petty racing," said Richard Petty, co-owner, Richard Petty Motorsports. "We need to provide Bubba, Drew (Blickensderfer) and the rest of the team with the tools necessary to be successful on the track, and I feel strongly this is the best move for RPM, our partners and everyone involved with our team. Chevrolet has been a consistent winner in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series for a long time and we're proud to be a part of the GM family again. We feel we can immediately win with Chevrolet and our new alliance with RCR."

RPM has a long and successful history with General Motors and Chevrolet in NASCAR's premier series. Some of these winning moments include:
    • June 1957. Lee Petty's first General Motors win (Oldsmobile)
    • February 1959. Lee Petty wins inaugural Daytona 500 (Oldsmobile)
    • 1979 and 1981. Richard Petty wins the Daytona 500 (Oldsmobile/Buick)
    • 1979 and 1980. Richard Petty takes the Chevrolet brand to victory lane six times (Martinsville, Michigan, Dover, Rockingham, North Wilkesboro and Nashville Fairgrounds)
    • July 1984. Richard Petty's 200th win (Pontiac)
    • October 1996. Richard Petty's first win as a sole car owner with Bobby Hamilton (Pontiac)
    In total, Petty teams have 31 Cup wins with General Motors and Chevrolet.

Bubba Wallace also has historical moments with the manufacturer, including his first NASCAR K&N Pro Series East win and his most recent NASCAR Camping World Truck Series victory this past year at Michigan, his first start in a Chevrolet Silverado.

"I've had some great memories with Chevrolet and I'm ready to make a lot more," added Wallace, Jr. "The entire RPM team is ready for 2018, and now we have a big piece of the puzzle put in place. We're all eager to start preparing our No. 43 Camaro for 2018, working and creating new ideas with RCR. This is a new journey and we're all ready to begin it."

--- Richard Petty Motorsports ---

17. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Thanks Bob!

Mike

18. Mopar7171

Mopar7171 Well-Known Member

I hope this is just a bad rumor. Time will show.

19. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

Someone messed up when they photoshopped that picture. The top decal on the b-pillar is a Ford performance logo.

GasAxe likes this.