Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Richard Petty Motorsports switching from Ford to Chevrolet, aligning with Childress"

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by BrianinMpls, Dec 7, 2017.

1. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Active Member

Good eye!

mdh1776 likes this.
  2. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

Agree, Petty got me interested, stayed with him his entire driving career no matter what he drove, then, but I would always pull for any Dodge on the track.

3. Clinton H Davis

Clinton H Davis Active Member

I'm a little bit of both... I will root for MOPAR but I also root for Petty no matter who their driver is or what they are driving. Been a Petty fan since I was a little kid. I tend to root for those who previously supported Petty or Dodge as well. My fantasy team next season will include A.J., Aric Almirola, Bubba Wallace, and Brad K...

Devildodge, danbek and Fast Eddie like this.
  4. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Just a hunch but if Dodge truly gets involved, Kasey Kahne is a good bet.

5. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

If I've dismissed them it's because you don't see "Brand C" or Ford or Toyota dropping out of supporting Nascar, do you? When I've posted Nascar supporting (or other racing series) quotes from racing execs from those companies, I've sourced them from reputable automotive publications or websites and you've dismissed them as my personal opinions. I'll concede the point that there are probably some execs in virtually every major auto manufacturer that don't believe that racing pays off in performance reputation and maybe that debate goes on internally in those companies but virtually every one of the major auto manufacturers participates in at least one (and many in several) major motorsports series that gets plenty of media coverage. Motorsports execs at GM, Ford, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mazda, Subaru, Mercedes, BMW, VW, Audi, Hyundai/KIA, and even Bentley can't all be wrong and only FCA (and OK, Tesla) be right about not participating in major motorsports series.

6. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I think that there are still plenty of brand centric Nascar fans around. You can count a fair number of them over on the "Dodge ready to return to Nascar" thread.

Devildodge likes this.
  7. pentastarpunk

pentastarpunk Active Member

100% brand centric. The driver's along for the ride.

8. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

NASCAR fans may be driver centric, but in many cases (certainly not all) they were attracted by their favorite brand and eventually became driver centric over time. At least that's how it worked for me. A good friend of mine who no longer watches (he did not like "The Chase") usually rooted for his brand (Ford) and was fine with any Ford winning though he did prefer his own particular driver. There's nothing wrong with being driver centric - the car certainly doesn't drive or race by itself and if you don't have a good car the driver will probably not win.

9. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

In our little group of Nascar followers, most of the guys are still brand-centric. The women (including Mrs BTB) are driver-centric for the most part.

GaryS likes this.
  10. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

And you are talking about a “little group” of nontypical fans.

Mike

mdh1776 likes this.
  11. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Multiple links with direct statements from nascar and auto journalism have been posted many times in the other thread discussing the fact that nascar is driver centric, not driver centric.

Those links are normally dismissed here because the people that post here are general considered Mopar enthusiasts, thus the people here are not typical nascar fans.

Unfortunately, the truth is hard to accept. A simple google search will provide hundred of articles that back up nascar being driver centric.

Mike

12. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

The problem with being driver centric is that the manufacturer is often second class during the race and outside of the race. Often times memorabilia is also sold without the manufacturer being considered also.

Mike

MPE426HEMI and danbek like this.
  13. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

I imagine that affects the whole "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday" thing.

14. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Bingo, and thus why GM and Ford have not been spending the money that Toyota has been spending. While both have stayed involved, they are spending hand in hand with Toyota.

Toyota’s reasoning is much more than “win on Sunday, sell on Monday”... they are in NASCAR to make themselves appear more “American” to the average consumer. That’s not the same reasoning as GM and Ford.

Mike

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  15. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

16. Robert J Sublett

Robert J Sublett Active Member

I love how these guys can publicly skirt truth. This has been in the works awhile. As has what is likely coming.

mdh1776 likes this.
  17. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

I am a Monster truck fan. Ram has a wonderful showing with the Hall Brothers.
    Ramminator, Rammunition, Hotsy.
    Mark Hall, Mat Dishman, Mike Miller

I am a Dodge fan with nascar, they aren't there so I don't pay attention anymore than reading headlines.

I do sometimes check on Brad Keselowski and Kasey Kahne, for what they have done for Dodge in nascar.

Guess that makes me both.

As far as Petty and the No.43, well it kills me to see it on Brand C. But they helped make him the driver he is remembered as also. Didn't mind it so much on a pontiac, but ugh, chevy!

18. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Active Member

Question. If Dodge is indeed returning for 2019, when will that announcement be made? I don't see them announcing at the upcoming Daytona race. If they are coming back my money's on the August Michigan race. Manufacturers are all in attendance, so we will see. Not holding my breath.

19. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

It has been said daytona and fathers day micgan race. What they say at both dates no one knows

20. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member