Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Richard Petty Motorsports switching from Ford to Chevrolet, aligning with Childress"

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by BrianinMpls, Dec 7, 2017.

1. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Agree 100%. Although I liked a lot of the past Dodge drivers, I can’t follow them into another brand. In the past I have bought merch, but if Dodge/Mopar wasn’t thoroughly represented, I wouldn’t buy it.
    I’d have to agree that most typical nascar fans are driver centric. I see more #3 and #88 on every brand of vehicle you can think of on the street. I used to laugh at it, but I realized through adverts, merch and interviews that NASCAR is selling the driver.
    Richard Petty kills me, but what can you do?

pentastarpunk likes this.
  2. Clinton H Davis

Clinton H Davis Active Member

Just to clarify, when I said "fantasy team", I didn't mean people I'd like to see drive Dodges, I meant the people on my internet based "Nascar fantasy team" where you go to nascar.com, click on fantasy, click "play fantasy live", pick 5 drivers and try to get the most points throughout the season based on their stats etc etc...

3. Robert J Sublett

Robert J Sublett Active Member

What do you mean? RP kills you? He has only done what he has felt he has had to do. Mopar in my book has left him hanging twice. Maybe Eddie or a couple others here that I suspect would know, but the story goes there has always been a Mopar of some sort under the carport regardless of what as on track.

pentastarpunk, mdh1776 and danbek like this.
  4. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

And yes, that is true, he and the family were still driving mopars, including his big black Darth Vader Dodge Conversion van towards the end when he drove for Pontiac. A pic got out and Pontiac was none too happy!

pentastarpunk likes this.
  5. MPE426HEMI

That's what I mean. I hate to see what has happened with him over the years. When they should have stuck by him, like others have done with their respective drivers. The rest of the owners/drivers, I could really care less about as they come and go. But Petty was a Mopar hero of sorts. BTW, he hasn't done what he felt he had to do, it's more of a case of what he had to do if he wanted to survive and be involved in Nascar. You can't run these teams on loyalty alone. I'd love to be rooting for a RP team, but if it's not with Dodge, sorry.

pentastarpunk and mdh1776 like this.
  6. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

[​IMG]

If you go to the Mexican NASCAR series... there was one car that caught fans eyes... a Chevy SS with Dodge stickers on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mdh1776 likes this.
  7. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

8. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

Ugh.

That's a snazzy blue and white MoPar uniform shirt though. I'd wear that at work.

9. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

I'll add that every time @redriderbob posts here, I'm hoping for more insider info about the return!

We're lucky to have you on AllPar.

10. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Sucking up won't help you! lol

11. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

:cool:

12. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

I’m guessing the Mexico series has te dodge sponsored by dodge/mopar but since they don’t have a body they just used a old Chevy body?

13. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

We all suck up Bob :rolleyes:

mdh1776 likes this.
  14. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

As in the US Nascar series, the bodies are so standardized that you can't really tell one from the other. What is much more important is what is under the hood. Hooray if it is powered by some type of Mopar motor................otherwise it is a Mopar IMPOSTER.

mdh1776 likes this.
  15. 72Rdrnnr

72Rdrnnr Member

Don't think The King ever drove a Dodge though. Drove a Ford the year he wanted a winged car, but the only one was a Dodge and he was a Plymouth driver. Came back the next year to the Mopar camp when they made that Dodge winged car a Plymouth.

Would I like to see Mopar back in NASCAR, hell yes. Will they come back? Maybe, just maybe if this economy keeps on keeping on and they can make a buck at it.

I went to my first major race in 1953, Indy 500. Been going to every series of motor racing since, NASCAR included. NASCAR, IMNSHO stopped being the "SC" in NASCAR when they no longer had to have doors that actually opened and closed!

16. 72Rdrnnr

72Rdrnnr Member

Don't think The King ever drove a Dodge though. Drove a Ford the year he wanted a winged car, but the only one was a Dodge and he was a Plymouth driver. Came back the next year to the Mopar camp when they made that Dodge winged car a Plymouth.

Would I like to see Mopar back in NASCAR, hell yes. Will they come back? Maybe, just maybe if this economy keeps on keeping on and they can make a buck at it.

I went to my first major race in 1953, Indy 500. Been going to every series of motor racing since, NASCAR included. NASCAR, IMNSHO stopped being the "SC" in NASCAR when they no longer had to have doors that actually opened and closed!

17. MPE426HEMI

Oh, "The King" drove a Dodge and drove it the longest. It was the '71-'74 Dodge Charger, starting in 1972 through to the 1977 season. I believe that was the STP blue and red Charger. (Somebody else can jump in here with info). Plymouth was my favorite brand, due to Petty, to begin with. (well, actually, him and the awesome Road Runners).

danbek and Beentherebefore like this.
  18. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Petty switched from driving Plymouths to driving Dodges circa 1972 because the Charger was a much more aerodynamic car than the open-nosed Roadrunner. He raced Chargers through the '77 season till they were no longer eligible because of their age. Then he tried racing a Dodge Magnum for awhile. Plenty of photos and discussion of Petty's Dodges in the Nascar historical thread.

P.S. Like the '72 RR in your avatar. Petty blue? What motor?

danbek and MPE426HEMI like this.
  19. Robert J Sublett

Robert J Sublett Active Member

31 victories in four years for the Charger, 2 championships ('74-'75), 2 seconds ('76-'77). RP's favorite car.

DC-93 and danbek like this.
  20. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Active Member

As I recall, he drove the Magnum part of the year in 78. He switched in late 78 to GM.