Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Richard Petty Motorsports switching from Ford to Chevrolet, aligning with Childress"

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by BrianinMpls, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Ed posted the exact date (or the race) when Petty switched. It's been recently discussed in one of the Nascar historical threads.

2. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Before he gave up on the Plymouth, Petty did everything (legal ;)) that he could to make it more aerodynamic.

Petty's very aero '72 Roadrunner.jpg

I owned a '72 Roadrunner and my grille opening was a bout 50% larger than this one.

mdh1776 and MPE426HEMI like this.
  3. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I'll fight anyone who doesn't agree that Plymouth is one of the greatest looking race cars ever.

4. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

I'll throw a few punches in too!

GasAxe likes this.
  5. crouchta

crouchta Well-Known Member

The Charger that followed this Road Runner was pretty special as well!

Adventurer55 and Clinton H Davis like this.
  6. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

It sure was. That was one of the body designs that as soon as I saw it, I knew that I had to have one. That actually happened in '71 (virtually the same body style) but it took me almost a year to get everything together plus once I knew that they were going to offer the 340" motor in the '72, I decided to wait. The RR with the 400" was a dog in Calif - "smog-motored" to death.

GasAxe likes this.
  7. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Another shot (shared from Pinterest) of Petty's '71 -'72 Nascar RR, this one shot at the old Ontario Motor Speedway in 1971.

upload_2017-12-16_5-31-7.png

The car following Petty is Herschel McGriff in the ex-Petty car which
    had been driven by Pete Hamilton in 1970.

GasAxe and MPE426HEMI like this.
  8. IRA GREENE

IRA GREENE Member

You are correct sir! My first NASCAR race was in 1972,the spring race at North Wilkesboro. Petty was running the 72 STP Roadrunner, and I remember how beautiful that car was with the Day-Glo Orange and Petty Blue. It's still one of the most beautiful cars Chrysler ever built, as much as I love the 70's Chargers....

Glenn81, MPE426HEMI and GasAxe like this.
  9. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

I can use that Blue 43 for my drives to and from work. It would hardly be a commute.

Since my work site is 15 miles from home, and if someone were to ask, "How long does it take you to get to work?" I could answer : "6 Daytona laps."

I'll wake-up from that dream one day, I'm sure ... one day.

GasAxe likes this.
  10. Mopar Racer

Mopar Racer Member

A comical comment considering Dodge also runs Funny Cars and Pro Stocks on the drag strips.

Glenn81 likes this.
  11. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Yankee 400 at MIS August 1978 - First race in the Monte Carlo. Also LAST race I attended... =(

12. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

And the Grand National Manufacturer's Championship for Dodge in 1975, their last one....

13. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Real production based cars proving real performance... nothing comical about that, except when the owner of a high performance Dodge product beats the other brands on the track, like I do.

Dodge does not sponsor an entrant in NHRA Pro Stock.

Mike

14. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Drag racing is its own unique thing; and I'm glad Chrysler products can and do win in that genre' . Road Racing is a favorite of mine. NASCAR only throws a bone in that direction, with all other races being Circle Track.

If NASCAR would change-up their formula to include many more Road Course contests, I'd be more interested. I do think Dodge or Chrysler ought to be there representing the brand, but NASCAR would have to change other aspects of its formula, too - however that's in the "Fat Chance" category.

The existing NASCAR formula is : Thousands of left turns until Hendrick/Chad Knaus/Jimmy Johnson take the prize. They dial-back a season, here and there, to allow someone else win. * Yawn *

Of course, I am kinda puzzled that Alfa gets to move back into F1 - whether as a team sponsor, or as an on-grid stable of Alfa cars. F1 is a monster cost.

#94 JavelinAMX, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    Beentherebefore likes this.
  15. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

You outlasted me by about 2 months. The last Cup race I attended was the June '78 Riverside race where Petty finished 2nd in his Magnum and Ray Elder finished 6th. It was the last time either raced there in Dodges. When I saw the entry list for the Riverside race the next January, only Frank Warren was still running a Mopar (even Buddy Arrington was in a Ford - probably not his) so I boycotted Nascar for the next 23 years. I did start attending events again when Mopar came back in '01.

16. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

You should have posted MONSTER cost ;).

JavelinAMX likes this.
  17. Clinton H Davis

Clinton H Davis Active Member

"Thousands of left turns until"

Pretty much as soon as someone says the words "left turns" (or turning left) I block out everything else they say... because that person is obviously not a fan, nor even casually interested enough to research and know that there are road course races in NASCAR (3 different ones next year...), or just looking to make a joke.

Sorry, that's just what I think when I hear people say things like that. Too many times when I thought I was going to be involved in a serious discussion about racing, it turned into making NASCAR a punchline, then the subject got changed to something else (you know something more civilized and snooty...).

mdh1776 likes this.
  18. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

But the number of Circle Tracks nascar races on out number Road Course tracks.. Hell at Good wood, a Nascar stock car crashed because it couldn't turn right........

19. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I attended many Nascar Cup races at a road course (Riverside, CA) long before I ever attended one on any kind of oval track. A properly set up Cup car in the hands of a skilled road-race driver is riveting to watch if you really like stock car racing. All major road course tracks require more right turning than left.

20. Clinton H Davis

Clinton H Davis Active Member

So a guy who never won a cup race and only won one xfinity race crashed at Good Wood due to parts failure... and as if to prove my point, you turn that into “it crashed because it couldn’t turn right”...

From the following article: “This video uploaded by Goodwood's Youtube channel shows a Chevrolet NASCAR piloted by Ed Berrier understeer through a right turn and slam into a hay wall at relative speed. As the commentators state, it looks like the crash was due to a part failure of some sort.”

Watch a NASCAR Crash at Goodwood Festival of Speed (at https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/thedrive/watch-this/12123/watch-a-nascar-crash-at-goodwood-festival-of-speed%3fsource=dam )