AF: ROCKET LAUNCH | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ROCKET LAUNCH

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by Fast Eddie, May 30, 2020.

1. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Watched the rocket launch this morning. What a difference in technology from the Space Shuttle days. No more banks of analog gauges and meters, big bulky space suits, control sticks etc. Just 2 touch screens and 2 astronauts dressed like they are going to dinner. Then to see the recovery of the 1st stage on the deck of a barge was just awesome. And the main control room for SpaceX was about 15 guys. How efficient was all that. And the rocket itself looked almost "dainty" with no bulky fins or protrusions. Pretty dang awesome!

SpaceX (at https://www.spacex.com/ )

gforce2002, Tony K, Ryan and 6 others like this.
  2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Yes, it was awesome. The 1st stage landing on the deck of the barge was as impressive as the launch.

I remember watching the Apollo launches as a young boy. I was 7 1/2 when Apollo 11 was launched. Hard to believe it's been over 50 years.

We've come a long way.

gforce2002, Tony K, Ryan and 2 others like this.
  3. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

This one's for you:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT2sN7Oe7JA

4. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

They have some company with them also :cool:

Meet the dinosaur hitching a ride to space with U.S. astronauts
    [​IMG]

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - Two American astronauts headed for the International Space Station (ISS) on Saturday have some company during their flight: a stuffed dinosaur.

The adorable stuffed animal covered in colorful sequins was spotted riding shotgun during the historic manned mission that successfully launched from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida. This marks the first time U.S. astronauts have been launched into space from American soil since the end of the space program in 2011.

As NASA astronauts Doug Hurley and Bob Behnken headed for the ISS, the plush dinosaur was seen floating around in the spacecraft. The toy quickly went viral on social media.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Meet the dinosaur hitching a ride to space with U.S. astronauts (at https://www.fox13news.com/news/meet-the-dinosaur-hitching-a-ride-to-space-with-u-s-astronauts )

Tony K and Doug D like this.
  5. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

Only in America can a South African man build an Automobile and a Rocket company.

God Bless the USA and Her brilliant Constitution.

Thanks
    Randy

Tony K likes this.
  6. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

We're about 90 miles from the Cape. I had a neighbor standing out in his yard scanning the sky trying to see the launch. I told him we were too far away and the trajectory would take it out over the Atlantic. He told me I was wrong and he SHOULD be able to see it. He never did. You can't explain some things to some people.

Tony K and DC-93 like this.
  7. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

I was in 8th grade when Challenger detonated, taking the lives of 7 amazing Americans including teacher Christa McCauliffe. I was in Atlanta when Columbia burned up on reentry, claiming another 7 souls, including a woman engineer born in India and one Israeli, their first astronaut. Watching the launch had me on edge. What does give me hope is we can get along with the Russians in this endeavor.

06PTElectricBlue likes this.
  8. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Yeah, the SpaceX launch show was awesome.
    I was at our condo on Longboat Key when Atlantis returned in 08. The sonic boom was impressive to say the least. Everyone ran outside expecting to see a collapsed building or something big on fire. Eventually someone remembered the shuttle was due back that night.

06PTElectricBlue likes this.
  9. 06PTElectricBlue

I'm still holding my breath until they actually return to the Earth. ;)

#9 06PTElectricBlue, Jun 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Tony K and chuzz like this.
  10. 06PTElectricBlue

In Hemphill, TX there is the Patricia Huffman Smith NASA Museum "Remembering Columbia" memorial

Since the shuttle broke up, many pieces were found in the east Texas forest around Hemphill and they have at the museum some personal items that belonged to the astronauts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#10 06PTElectricBlue, Jun 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    chuzz and Doug D like this.
  11. 06PTElectricBlue