AF: Rotors | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rotors

Discussion in 'New Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by Dave Z, Feb 1, 2019.

1. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

Probably the 320, 350 is the rears for the squads/SRT models.

Considering all the different sizes and variations and inability to get a straight answer from most parts desks, you'll save yourself tons of trouble by just removing a tire, and look for the size stamped on the rotor. When you do that, double-check your caliper to confirm whether it's aluminum or iron, and 1 or 2 piston. Should be 1.

2. Backorder

Backorder Active Member

Most often the factory system simply says "here's your rotor" and doesn't tell you any info about it like measurements. Calling a dealership to say "Hi, I'm not going to buy from you, but can you do all the legwork and tell me what part I should buy from Rock Auto?" is a great way to get handed bad information- either from apathy or an evil sense of humor.

tomit likes this.
  3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

You may be right about just taking off the wheels...

4. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

It’s been awhile, have you had success choosing rotors? What kind and what’s your experience with them?

5. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

6. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

I only use the Premium MoPar rotors that are factory balanced on my vehicles.
    And yes, you can feel the difference in a balanced versus non balanced aftermarket rotor through the steering wheel.

mdh1776 likes this.
  7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I got the wrong rotors from RockAuto and they took them back, I lost $25 in shipping both ways, oops... Have to be really careful. Rock sells the Bosch rotors for under $40 each (rears). Since the Mopar rotors would cost me $90 each plus shipping, I'm still ahead assuming they are the same rotors. I believe they were factory balanced as well but I'd have to reconfirm that.

I'm also considering Centric instead since so many people like them, assuming they're factory balanced.

8. ygdude

ygdude Active Member

just changed the brakes all the way around on my 2014 300S. Yes Bosch was the OEM supplier for LX brakes. American cast and American machined. but... not the best casting method (Waupaca Wisconsin or Tell City IN) should have lasted more than 60K. Bosch sold their brake division to Akebono who makes most OEM pads anyway. Akebono probably never took the Bosch logo out of the foundry pattern. Front calipers were from PBR which is/was an Austrailian company. goofy design. you can buy Bosch brakes (aftermarket) but are not designed or made by Bosch any longer. yes, there is a reason i know all this :)

i replaced mine with Wagner E-coated Rotors and Wagner Thermoquite pads on all 4 corners. So far so good. I've used Wagners (Fed Mogal) on seveal of my cars for several years (the 2003 T&C and the 04 Intrepid). Put Carquest Platinums on the front of the 2014 Cherokee. their ok but a bit noisy. put Centrics on my daughters 2000 Odyssy and they seem ok.

I shopped around. Look things up on Rockauto then compare. RA's mulit location shipping usually kicks them out of the running but sometimes not. Not a fan of their return system either. Tirerack sells Akebono brakes. don't know how they compare to their OE.

LUBE The caliper pins!!!!!!!!!!!!! the front anchor bracket bolts are a BEAR to get off. the locktight will fight you all the way to the last thread.

AHBGuru and Bob Lincoln like this.
  9. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

RA does offer the OEM Akebono pads (ceramics). You'd be Ok with either the Bosch or Centric rotors.

* If anyone has a 2011+ Charger Pursuit: don't screw around.*

Go to the dealer and get OEM, or better yet, go to Napa, and get the Bendix Severe Duty pad and rotor kit, as follows:

2011 - December, 2014: you have the BR8 Police brakes, which are 345 mm front, 320 vented rears.

January, 2014 - Present: you have the BR9 Police Brakes, 370/350 vented rears. Confirm with your dealer - some late '14 models still had the smaller BR8 brakes. BR9 was standard on '15 and up.

Coated rotors are fine, it's a rust inhibiter. Do not waste money on slotted/drilled rotors for any Charger Pursuit .

mdh1776 likes this.
  10. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I just priced Wagner vs Centric at Rockauto. To get all new rotors, ceramic pads and parking brake shoes, $170 to $188 plus shipping, for the daily driver quality. But Wagner did not say whether they contain asbestos, whereas Centric is asbestos-free. So I guess Centric wins.

BTW, just for the front and rear pads, Rockauto is $45 and Advance Auto (without shipping) is $127 for the exact same part numbers. So Rockauto's high shipping prices can still make sense and be less than buying local.

AHBGuru likes this.
  11. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

I use MoPar because they are balanced.......

12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I wound up with Centric. I seriously have not been able to tell the difference from the original. They are very good so far.

Mopar is good but $$$. Mopar Value Line in my (years ago) experience was trash, but might have gotten better.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  13. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Are they balanced? (any "scallops" out of the edge?)

14. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Didn't look that closely. Car feels smoother than it did, if that helps. Will have to look next time wheels are off. Heavy things.

DC-93 likes this.
  15. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Smoother is better! Sometimes, the old rotors go out of balance when one edge rusts out and falls off before the other side!

MPE426HEMI and Dave Z like this.