NewsThis really is the 2018 Wrangler “JL” • Red vs black keys: Real-world Hellcat performance • Windsor loses Transport

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rubicon Freedom Edition

Discussion in 'Wrangler, CJ, Wagoneer, other traditional Jeeps' started by AmpLighter, Mar 16, 2017.

1. AmpLighter

AmpLighter Member

My time away from the forums beleave lead us to believe that we're aiming for the 2017 Jeep Wrangler Sport S. But.. We've wanting to do a few things just to make it our own. I've figured that with the purchase of the Sport S, we've add a few things which would make the jeep look like a Rubicon for less than it would cost to actually buy Rubicon or anything higher than a Rubicon according to the Jeep site.

Although we like the 75th anniversary edition, I doubt we could even afford it. but one can never tell what or how the dealer will respond when we show them we have 20K or so down. So again we figured to purchase a well equped Sport S and based on it's 9.7 ground clearance.. No lift would be necessary unless we find one like we spotted last weekend.

We visited a local dealership on a Sunday (which they were closed) and I spotted a 2017 Jeep Wrangler that was sitting about 2 inches high that the other sport models. Clear signs that this jeep was tinkered with was evadent when I noticed the red rubicon shocks and new coils.. Although I was told via another forum this could have been a used jeep with this added.. the thing is the window sticker clearly says "sport' and not a sport s or even a rubincon. The really odd thing here is that the price tag on this lifted sport was 27K.. So to a trained eye this would be a great deal getting a 2 inch lift at the price of a sport.

Again our hopes are to locate a Sport S and place a few items on the jeep to make it look like a "Baby Rubicon" In this image, I've used parts from 3 other jeeps (Rubicon, Freedom, 75th Anniversary) to create our the 2017 Rubicon Freedom Edition all for less than what it would cost to buy a fully equped Rubicon.

[​IMG]

I think what the issue is, Is that we like certain elements of all four of these jeeps, but Jeep doesn't offer this type of setup or edition. Creating one ourselves would allow us a few weekend projects. A few things to point out would be the 10th Anniversary hood, bumpers and wheels, while the freedom decal would start on the drivers side and continue over to the passengers side where as it dowant on the actual freedom edition.

The main thing would be to set the Sport S up with the premium soft top and other components which we couldn't install ourselves for the begining. We're still looking at more than 9 months down the road.. so things could chnage. Just wanted to show what the end result could look like and would be simple to achive.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather Level III Supporter

Have you looked at the Willys Wheeler?
    It may give you a lot of what you want.

BobbiBigWheels likes this.
  3. AmpLighter

AmpLighter Member

Like I said in the above post. We like different elements from nearly all of the jeep editions.. But the only one we truly like is the 75th Anniversary. So we've had to choose things we like about one jeep or several jeeps and include them into our own version. So Yes we've looked at the willy.. But found the painted grille and wheels aren't very attractive.

This leads me to wish Jeep should allow us to pick and choose which options we wanted along with what accessories we like. But I feel it would cost us more to have them build the jeep like we want it, where as we could be driving our dream jeep quicker and have weekend projects thereafter.

4. AmpLighter

AmpLighter Member

Welp the Rubicon Freedom Edition has just been updated. According to the wife, she's wanting painted or color matching fenders.. checking the jeep site.. the first sign of a jeep that has the painted fenders is the Freedom Edition.. So this means I've altered the images above as to include painted/color matching fenders.

[​IMG]
    A couple of other things that's change is we've taking the high rise hood off the table and sticking with the flat freedom hood. Also, not liking the Freedom wheels, we're still going to add the gear design Rubicon wheels and 10th anniversary Bumpers. So instead of having our sight set on converting a Sport S, we'll be looking at doing some mild add on to a Freedom edition.

Over all the Freedom edition as is from the factory seems to have all the elements we want excluding the wheels and bumpers.. which would still give us a few weekend projects. But we still have the hope of owning a 75th anniversary and will shoot for that jeep first and fall back on the Freedom edition if necessary. Worse case, we'll fall back on doing our original plan of buying a sport S and adding those other parts later own in the build.

I still like the idea of continuing the stripe from the drivers side over the cowl and down the passengers side, not sure why Jeep didn't do this to begin with. Personally I like the high rise hood over the flat star hood, but we all know, have to make the wife happy cause she'll be driving this just as much as I will. No matter what jeep we selected, it will have the gear wheels and Anniversary bumpers..

5. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work... Ad-Free Member

@AmpLighter - honestly - buying a Willys with body colour flares and just asking the dealer to swap the grille off of a same coloured Wrangler makes way more dollars and sense than what you're proposing with the Sport S. Buying OEM wheels and tires gouges you horrendously compared to purchasing from factory options. The 75th Anniversary bumpers are also very, very expensive after the fact. There are aftermarket bumpers with similar styling that cost much less. Starting your build on a Willys is, IMO, by far the best option.

AmpLighter likes this.
  6. AmpLighter

AmpLighter Member

Yep.. you're probably right.. but we're running out of time and would have to find what ever we can get when searching dealer inventory.. We just don't have the luxury of being able to order a jeep in this current stage of the process.. We're looking at late Aug - Dec when we'll start (officially) looking for a jeep.. Just keeping an idea of what we want to work with in mind. For instance the other day we spotted a 2017 wrangler Rubicon.. or so I thought..

Not really checking.. it had the rubicon decal on the hood and was lifted, but had the painted grille.. which tells me it could have been a willys but with rubicon parts on it.. the odd thing here is that it had rubicon seats.. I'm finding more dealers are willing to swap parts or make acceptations to what the customer wants.. I say this because the wrangler looked like a rubicon, but had a painted grille and the bronze 75th wheels.. This tells me that the dealer swapped out the grille, found a 75th and swapped the Rubicon wheels on the 75th and placed the 75th on the rubicon..

7. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work... Ad-Free Member

You have it backwards - it would have been a Rubicon that had wheels and grille swapped. We would never swap an interior - not just the cost of doing so, but the significant devaluing of the Rubicon.

Honestly - take a good hard look at the Willys package, get a dealer onboard to do the swaps you're needing. The 75th is a bloated Sahara... Bang for buck it is not a great package.

8. AmpLighter

AmpLighter Member

Well without reading your post before hand, Yes the wife and I drove to the dealership over the weekend and looked at 3 different wranglers, sadly all of those we looked at were out of our price range. However in looking at these wranglers all three are lifted or at different heights. So now I'm on a mission to learn why all 3 of these are different heights.. Another forums has suggested that this is based on the coils placed on the wrangler from the factory seeing how all of these have no been altered by the dealership.. I would have to agree that the factory has place 3 different set of coils on these jeeps.

I was pointed in the right direction when a jeeper posted pics of Coil he removed from this wrangler unlimited (Rubicon) This had me thinking of a better way to find out what the tags on the coils actually say.. Viewing the Mopar site I was able to locate the actually tag numbers associated with the coils. Turns out there are three sets or groupings of coils that could end up on your wrangler from the factory.

Here's what the Mopar site & quadratec site list as stock/standard & heavy duty coils/springs

New Front Coil Range:

Sport: 10 - 14
    Sahara 14 - 17
    Rubicon 17 - 19

New Rear Coil Range:

Sport: 52 - 55
    Sahara: 55 - 57
    Rubicon: 57 - 60

Note the lower the number, the less stiff the coil and more of a bouncy ride. However, I've found with the help of jeepers actually crawling under their jeeps to verify the coil tags.. some of those who have Rubicons actually have the 14 front coils instead of the 19 coils. This has me wondering if that model year was issued the incorrect coils or those person purchased used or worse case, the dealer swapped them out..

Getting back you you comment, Yes we like the Willy and it would suit our needs, but it's out of our price range at the moment. In order for us to achieve a willy/rubicon stance.. we could purchase a sport and added the rubicon coils or the 19/59 etc to the jeep.