AF: Rumors are the ones that will kill Chrysler | Page 24 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rumors are the ones that will kill Chrysler

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Mr.Source, Jun 6, 2018.

1. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Not a huge fan of the Concorde, I much preferred the 300M. I had forgotten about the older Cirrus/Sebring. I do like the Sebring generation before that hunchback disaster. Even though the PT Cruiser was a Chrysler, I always thought of it as a Plymouth, and I do like the look. I wish they would have done something to improve the truck like gas mileage. The Aspen was decent looking, especially when parked next to a Durango from the same time frame. It could have been better if they would have tried to bring in more of the 300's look and presence.

2. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

I still love the 300M Special

jclick, randy1911, cdjr77 and 2 others like this.
  3. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Durango Dave!
    Level 2 Supporter

Yessss... Special, aka a bodykit.

4. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

Yes, but a special one!

Bajanbuoy likes this.
  5. MoparJoe

MoparJoe Well-Known Member

It also had 5 more horsepower

6. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Durango Dave!
    Level 2 Supporter

Oh yeah... that's right... But ended up being slower due to the added weight.... haha.

MoparJoe likes this.
  7. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Right.

It had to be a vehicle fabricated in a U.S. Assembly plant which would achieve 40 MPG.

... Or else the money-maker products couldn't or wouldn't be sold ( and why would you make something that cannot be sold?)

Jeep Commander was cut; then, on reflection, the "Unfit for human consumption" and the "don't know why people bought them" comments came. Words of the CEO. The Avenger was also gone early. Then the 200 and the Dart.

You'll have to bear the responsibility for questioning whether the demise was spite-driven. I wasn't saying that.

The CEO's penchant for badly timed and badly worded communication does not help his cause. Spite COULD easily have been living in that environment.

For a 40 MPG vehicle built in a USA fabrication plant, they could've dispensed with an Alfa-sourced platform (cost). The lowest yielding small car available at the point when they took the keys from Cerberus was the Compass. Compass was clocking sales around 15k units (Yes; the numbers began growing slightly after that. ) The Aero model ( with Shutters and other treatments ) might've been a better fit for that car. It would've been something closer to a contenting problem to address rather than a ground-up venture; with all those slings and arrows which do happen in those circumstances . I would think the turn-around time would've been more favorable as well. And with it being a Jeep, it would raise Jeep's overall CAFE (this presuming similar MPG benefits would accrue for Jeep as it did for Dodge ). Sales numbers separated the Compass which came after 2011 from the Compass which was available prior to 2011. An Aero trim level equipped Compass might have launched the overall Compass to a better high-water mark with those additions during that time. Dart showed up as a 2012 model. And that extra time just might've made a bigger difference to the Brand and to the customer.

See above.

Remember, a USA assembly plant was as much a requirement as was the Fuel Mileage target. By 2016, it was already 'FCA', so no demerit to moving 500-based vehicles to Toluca, Mexico at all. But to accommodate your point about a modification to the 500 as a basis, it simply couldn't work in that time-frame without moving production north of the USA/Mexico border.

No one Has to do that. FCA doesn't have to do that. FCA does not seem to shy away from making public comment from time to time. I said I hadn't read anything which might've addressed that. But I do wonder if something of an economic zinger turns things awry if they can overcome those gotchas.

Agreed.

Some of the companies direct things to happen in such a way that they leave themselves options for times when there's rough sledding.

It was a general comment affirming a positive; and a denial that anyone has to meet a too lofty goal. Nothing negative aimed at anyone.

Discussion of that sort is welcome, and pretty easy to foster.

GasAxe and james.mooney. like this.
  8. randy1911

randy1911 Active Member

I had a blue 2002 300m special I loved that car, it needed more power but I loved it anyway. I would buy it today if it came in rwd.

Bajanbuoy likes this.
  9. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Durango Dave!
    Level 2 Supporter

The HO was a great engine.