AF: Rust around driver's door handle | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rust around driver's door handle

Discussion in 'Dodge Journey' started by Powdered Toast Man, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

Anyone else seeing rust bubbling under the paint originating from under the driver's door handle? My 2011 has gotten pretty bad. Surprising to me since it's well cared for and kept garaged 95% of the time.

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I bought a 2011 Chrysler 200 in Sep 2018, no rust at all. But the other day I noticed that most of the doors, especially the driver's door, has rust on the bottom edge - pinch weld - and even a bubble or two pushing the metal out. My wife's 2012 200, which we bought new, is all clean. Her car has been garaged since 2016, has fewer miles. Mine wasn't garaged until I bought it. But it is now a 10-yr old car.
    All I can say is, attack rust EARLY, it never sleeps, and is much harder to fix the longer you let it go.

DC-93 likes this.
  3. Powdered Toast Man

It's in an awkward spot as you can tell it originated from underneath the door pull handle. It been bubbling under the paint and has expanded. I had a body shop look at it a few years ago and they said they could repair it but there's no guarantee.

I actually have an entire door that I picked up from a wrecker sitting in my garage. I'm kinda letting the rust go until it's really bad and then I'll swap the entire door out before I sell or trade the vehicle.

DC-93 likes this.
  4. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

How about a few pics.

5. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Going on ten years old? My ten year old, low mileage Caliber was rusting out at the bottom of the doors at the folded seam. I did apply wax and try to keep the salt off during Winter.
    The front and rear crossmembers were replaced under the X80 Extended rustout warranty. I did plan on keeping the car a while longer. I put $1500 into the body for sheetmetal and paint 'maintenance'. Catch it while you can now or...
    There are plenty of good, rust-free doors in the Southern and Western U.S. You may find one in your same color. Some body part vendors on ebay, etc will paint the part to match your paint code. A door is an easy swap.

6. Powdered Toast Man

It's funny. I live in a road salt region so I'm all too familiar with the bottom door seam rust - that's where it starts usually. I'm obsessive about waxing the inner door seams and washing the inside of the door panel in the winter. The bottoms of my doors are completely fine. It's all coming from under the driver's door handle. If I had to guess I'd say probably something inside the handle has rubbed away the paint underneath and the exposed metal has begun to rust. It's way beyond saving now. And the thing is it would have a been extremely difficult to catch in the first place because it would require disassembling almost the entire door to get at the area underneath the door pull handle.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  7. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Any detectable 'looseness' in the door handle assembly? I would agree that it may have been 'rubbing' which caused the sheetmetal exposure, which then began the rusting.
    Check the other door handles too.
    Doors aren't that bad to work on. It's clean, upright work and you can sit down as you work for the most part.