Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safety Features in Mopars (Pedestrian Detection)

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by hmk123, Nov 17, 2017.

1. hmk123

Level III Supporter

I know that there is a Forward Collision Detection system available. Are there any pedestrian detection systems available or planned for 2019s?

Was in a co-worker's Accord the other day. It had cameras on the side mirrors that showed their view in the main screen when you turned on the turn signal. Seems useful at times.

Hemidakota likes this.
  2. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

I was raised to understand that it was my responsibility to look before crossing the street. After all, the roads weren't built for people, that's why there are sidewalks.
    Now they are making it where the things that are supposed to be on the roads have to be responsible.
    Kind of backwards to me.

vipergg, UN4GTBL, JA Cumbo and 2 others like this.
  3. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Apparently, pedestrians have the right of way and the right to be run over.
    I asked it before and I’ll ask it again, how does a pedestrian get run down? If a car jumps the curb, that’s one thing. I got to say, I mostly blame this on pedestrians. I see it all the time, head down & headphones/buds on. Don’t bother to look up. Here’s the thing they are too stupid to realize. You’re not harder or stronger than steel. I stop and look both ways, traffic clear? Walk. Stop and look both ways, oncoming traffic stopped? Walk. There’s no way in hell, I’m stepping out into the road while traffic is moving towards me. Somebody could even lose their brakes! Wait until cars are stopped and you’re sure you make eye contact with the driver! Is it worth dying for? Is it worth being in a wheelchair for? It’s just stupid. There are situations, but for the most part, people are stupid and don’t value their lives. Maybe they need to get back to pedestrian road smart education for the dumbed down generation?

4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

... and get off my lawn!

Interesting idea, showing the side mirror views in the main screen; but I'd sure hope they did a lot of research on it... I can see unintended consequences...

That said, the blind spot monitors are very good to have. (We have them in one car of two, so I'm always triple careful in the other car because I'm afraid I'll have relied on the monitor...)

wtxiceman and Hemidakota like this.
  5. hmk123

Level III Supporter

I get that and understand what you mean. But we all make mistakes and accidents happen. Those people who have been involved might like additional safety features. I noticed that here in California automakers from Ford to Subaru advertise pedestrian detection in their TV ads. I haven't seen anything from Chrysler yet and was curious if this will be offered in some 2019 models...

Cody's Car Conundrum and Dave Z like this.
  6. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

Walking is a right.....driving is a privlage. This is the way it is in most states, right or wrong.

Doug D likes this.
  7. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Anyway no matter WHOs fault it is...
    - i wouldnt be happy having run over somebody, if the car helps me avoiding it im pleased.

link3721 likes this.
  8. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

I'm in this camp. I like driver assist tech because I know I make mistakes and like the backup assistance.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  9. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

If not, they should...couple of years ago, it was mentioned what could be added to the FCA line with safety that a ROAD DEBRIS sensor is needed to avoid the issues of running over larger items.

10. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio have automatic emergency braking with pedestrian detection.
    The technology is from Bosch, similar system, always from Bosch, without pedestrian detection, at least for now, are used in other FCA vehicles ,for example Jeep Cherokee, Renegade, Compass, Fiat 500X, Tipo, ...

UN4GTBL likes this.
  11. MPE426HEMI

The back up camera is definitely a plus and should have been mandated a long time ago. Yes, pedestrian detection is also good because they certainly aren’t looking for you. You could possibly save someone’s life from themselves. I’ve done it many times with just my eyes. And that’s no joke.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  12. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Safety system do cost, and its the byuer who pays, but I still belive that they pay for themselves in a larger perspective.
    - lower hospital and rehab costs= lower tax and insurance.
    - less damage to the vehicle= lower owner cost and insurance.
    - less people hurt and this is almost invaluable! It could be your kid the car automatically saves, it could be you that the that the car doesent skid into at 55 mph.
    We may say that the driver have a responsibility to avoid accidents and most people also do that to the best of their capabilitys but we also know that the driver fails frequently and here comes the beauty of safety systems.
    - I like these systems and as a fireman im not so found of blood and sorrows from traffic accidents...the cars I don't mind but those who got hurt.

MPE426HEMI and somber like this.
  13. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

I can attest, even when the rear drive camera failed, I was lost for a while without it until the dealership part arrived. I told the dealership, it is amazing how we can become so dependent on technology when driving.

Now, after the other person who wears the pants gets her family room, it is time for a new vehicle with all the bell and whistles. Learning, having a few options is not the same without purchasing a car with all options.

Besides the pedestrian sensor, I am for a HUD display, gesturing, and voice active without pushing any buttons.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  14. MPE426HEMI

Autonomous here we come!

somber likes this.
  15. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Way to put the blame on the victim.

I witnessed a pedestrian get mowed down about 20 years ago. She was about 80 years old, it was winter, it was in a 20 mph speed zone very near the center of town, and she looked both ways before using the crosswalk.
    The person driving in the opposite direction from me apparently decided to beat her across the crosswalk, because he accelerated, was speeding before he even reached her, and slammed on his brakes with a loud screech as he hit her, when she was at least 2/3 of the way across the street. Fortunately, she had only a slight shoulder injury. But it was entirely his fault - he chose to try to make it past the crosswalk before she did, by speeding and driving recklessly.
    I gave my eyewitness info to the police. He was only charged with failure to yield to a pedestrian, probably a $50 ticket.

Dave Z likes this.
  16. MPE426HEMI

That's got nothing to do with anything I stated. Nobody said there aren't idiots driving on the road. I was talking about pedestrians entering the road way before it's clear to do so and walking out into traffic without paying no mind to what's coming.
    That person driving was negligent. Who would try to beat somebody past the crosswalk. The rule is, you have to stop and wait until the pedestrian clears the road, from sidewalk to sidewalk. The pedestrian looked and proceeded, only to be met by some fool who probably shouldn't be on the road to begin with. Somebody accelerating in that situation had no intention of stopping or being remotely mindful of pedestrians or even giving a sh*t about anyone but themselves. Some people may need a driver detection system installed as well.

17. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

Excellent post. And all of these points apply to totally autonomous cars. This is why they are inevitable.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  18. MPE426HEMI

Exactly. Another step forward. Everyone will be so caught up in having a car doing everything for them, while they spend extra time on the smartphone, pretty soon they'll want no responsibility of driving. That's how I know for sure it will be happening.
    I'm waiting for the first reports of the finger pointing, by consumers, that this system failed and didn't stop or didn't detect, like it was supposed to. Who do you think will have to take the brunt of those faults? You got it. The manufacturer.

somber likes this.
  19. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

For what it's worth, I've seen the same, only with a kid and his mom crossing a well-lighted street on Halloween, during a trick or treat town event, with signs posted, and at a crosswalk that has a sign in the middle of the road.

The driver must have been doing 50, going down a street crowded with kids on both sidewalks. He stopped where the kid and his mom had just been. She spotted him and essentially swept her kid a few feet forward and out of danger. Thank God, the moron driver did not swerve...

Fortunately, there was a cop right there... and I'm hoping he got charged with reckless, not just failure to yield. (He DID yield... with his bumper halfway into the crosswalk.)

I don't know if automated systems can help that sort of halfwit — BMW driver, likely with a phone — but making sweeping generalizations about fault is never a good idea. I can say, as a driver and pedestrian alike, there are times I've just been lucky. Everyone screws up.

somber and MPE426HEMI like this.