Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safety Features in Mopars (Pedestrian Detection)

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by hmk123, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Yes, and there is the case where as a new driver, less than 17 years old, I hit a pedestrian. I was driving the 20 mph speed limit through my old hometown when suddenly, with no warning, a kid about 14 darted out from the sidewalk without looking, right into my path. It all seemed like slow-motion, as I saw his friend raise his arm and yell to him. I locked the brakes of my car so that I painted the road, stopped very quickly with my then-young reflexes, and came to a stop just as he rolled up onto the hood, then fell to the ground. He immediately got up and ran away as I yelled for him to stop, and was he OK? He shook his head yes and kept running.
    There was no way to avoid that, and it was so quick, probably no automated system could have detected him and stopped that car any faster than I did.

wtxiceman and MPE426HEMI like this.
  2. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Yup. It happens. As they say, when you see a ball go into the street, you slam on your brakes...

UN4GTBL likes this.
  3. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Even if am all for automated safety systems we can forget the driver and the BIG responsibility he have.
    - these systems are there to help the driver if he gets into trouble or like a reverse camera, give him a better look behind.
    But they do not in anyway replace good driving and responsible skills....a truly good driver would never have use them but we aren't truly good driver always..

link3721, MPE426HEMI and UN4GTBL like this.
  4. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

Honda has had the camera on the passenger side mirror for a while, and it's on most of their vehicles IIRC.

But it's just the passenger side mirror I think.

The 360* camera systems are better IMHO.

5. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

360 is the way to go, if it's going to be done.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  6. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

Depends on what you mean by "long time ago". Back then the vast number of cars from the 60's to the 80's they had a wild idea...windows that you can actullay see where your going and that includes the back window.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  7. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Lol, heh, yes. By long time ago I just meant when they were first introduced on select automobiles via camera and screen (not that long ago). For a good while they were just an option, but I think it’s really a spot on the vehicle where we've actually always needed “eyes in the back of our heads”. I usually use the windows and mirrors, but with the way everything is going these days, you soon won’t turn your head to bother to look (or some people won’t anyways). Rear windows these days are just to let some light in, I believe.

8. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

Back before rollover standards and the huge pillars that they bring.

9. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

"Even if am all for automated safety systems we can forget the driver and the BIG responsibility he have."
    - I hope everybody understands that the "can" should be a "cant´t"

10. Skinpine

Skinpine Active Member

All cars must meet rollover standards, not all cars have huge pillars and poor visibility. I am afraid styling and costs have as much to do with poor visibility as rollover standards.

My wife and I are currently in the market for a new SUV or CUV. It will have all the latest safety equipment and good headlights. While we still prefer FCA products, its seems as though those things are included or available on the most expensive models. When comparison shopping, FCA is at a large price disadvantage against other (mostly import) manufacturers. While price will not be the determining factor in what we buy, my Scotch-Irish roots will prevent me from spending much more than I have to.

11. Skinpine

Skinpine Active Member

All cars must meet rollover standards, not all cars have huge pillars and poor visibility. I am afraid styling and costs have as much to do with poor visibility as rollover standards.

My wife and I are currently in the market for a new SUV or CUV. It will have all the latest safety equipment and good headlights. While we still prefer FCA products, its seems as though those things are included or available on the most expensive models. When comparison shopping, FCA is at a large price disadvantage against other (mostly import) manufacturers. While price will not be the determining factor in what we buy, my Scotch-Irish roots will prevent me from spending much more than I have to.

12. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Agreed - I also remember being told the block like styling of DCX days was because of pedestrian impact standards in Europe, but yet other manufacturers did not have to make every car look like a block to pass those standards.

Erik Latranyi likes this.
  13. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

I truely find it sad if that's what people think they have to do 24 hours a day, to stare at a five inch screen .

somber and MPE426HEMI like this.