AF: Sales and new incentives and FINALLY Digital buying | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sales and new incentives and FINALLY Digital buying

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

FCA US sales down, new incentives and digital sales announced

FCA US sales dropped by 10% for the first quarter, as strong momentum in January and February was clobbered by the coronavirus in March. In some states, dealership sales were banned completely in mid-month; by then, many or most dealers had already taken steps including extra sanitizing protocols and providing their best price up front, to cut haggling time and, in turn, reduce the number of people in showrooms. ....

HotCarNut and aldo90731 like this.
  2. aldo90731

If we assume FCA sales were flat in January and February, that suggests March sales alone were down 30%.

Hyundai reports a 43% drop in March sales: 39% decline on retail; 54% decline on fleet.

3. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Now and going forward for the next month or two one wonders if those that rely primarily on the major coastal metropolitan areas for sales will be hit even harder....

4. aldo90731

This is less about geography and more about timing.

States started issuing social distancing orders in mid-March, and they are still being rolled out around the country. Which means these numbers are going to look much worse in April, and perhaps in May.

If one were to extrapolate March numbers to a 30-day period, I think 60%-70% declines would not be an exaggeration.

5. aldo90731

This just in:

"Sales dropped 7.1 percent at GM in the first three months, with the company citing "significant declines in March" due to the outbreak of COVID-19. First-quarter volume fell 3.8 percent at Chevrolet, 5.5 percent at GMC, 35 percent at Buick and 16 percent at Cadillac."

Automotive News, April 1, 2020

6. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

Starting to see picked over time in Louisville on Rams.

7. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

How do we feel about 15k+ Gladiators despite a weak March? If we assume a 10% hit, it would be ~16k+. I guess right in the 60-70k range for the year. Seems about right?

wtxiceman, danbek and djsamuel like this.
  8. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

They as as all makers will have a major issue down the road as they are predicting we could have 30 million people out of work . So until all these people get hired back which could take many months it will be severely depressed .

Chase300 likes this.
  9. valiant67

valiant67 ...

~16k is about what Gladiator sold in Q3 2019 and Q4 2019.

10. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

It'll get worse, a dealership owner told me today its more expensive to stay open than it is to lay everyone off and close, which is exactly what all the big groups did at the first opportunity. Think of the high volume stores too, that give cars away all month to get the volume bonus check from FCA they live off. "closed for business"

11. aldo90731

I think a number of Wrangler owners are finding the deals too sweet to pass.

link3721 likes this.
  12. aldo90731

I think so too, unfortunately. Social Distancing has impacted only the last two out of a total of thirteen weeks in Q1. Meanwhile the number of states under lockdown continues to expand.

Thankfully my vehicles are neither in need of warranty work nor due for a service visit at the moment.

13. aldo90731

On a quarterly basis, the hardest hit so far were Nissan (-30%), Honda (-19%), Subaru and BMW (-17% each), Mitsubishi (-16%), VW —incl. Audi and Porsche— and Volvo (-14% each).

Least impacted were Mazda (-4.5%), Hyundai-Kia and Tesla (-5.4% each).

GM (-7%), Toyota (-9%) and FCA (-10%) are mid-pack.

Daimler, Jaguar-Land Rover and Ford haven’t reported yet.

Only two brands showed an increase: Ram (+2.5%) and Kia (+1%).

[UPDATED AT 5:11PM PST]

#13 aldo90731, Apr 1, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  14. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

In the case of Mazda, they have a smaller dealer network in the US while in Canada, Mazda are more popular in the Great White North. As for Nissan, that's a double-whammy for them, that and the "Ghosngate".

aldo90731 likes this.
  15. aldo90731

Yeah. I was just wondering if in the midst of this global pandemic Mr Ghosn rather be a free man in Lebanon...or a prisoner in Japan...?

16. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Glad we had our Equinox in for service at the nearest Chevrolet dealership. The wipers failed as well as the LF turn signal bulb needed attention. Their service hours before the virus were 7 am - 7 pm M-F, 8 am - 2 pm Sat. Now they are 7 am - 5 pm M-F and closed Saturday. The service writer indicated the number of vehicles brought in for service is down by over 50%.

And unfortunately I'll have to take the Equinox back in as the LF turn signal still doesn't work - don't know if it's a bad bulb or what.

My local bank has also cut their hours - drivethru was 8 am - 6 pm and is now 9 am - 4 pm and closed Saturday. And of course the lobby is closed except by appointment only.

17. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

My Compass needs to go in for warranty work (when doesn’t it?) but at least it’s not urgent. At least I don’t think the “Intelligent Battery Sensor” is. That’s what they say is keeping the auto S/S from working. There’s also the front end starting to rattle again, but that can stay for a while. Our dealer is open for service only, but I’m not inclined to go out if I don’t have to.

UN4GTBL and aldo90731 like this.
  18. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

Mine is going to need a battery since its been sitting so long!

aldo90731 likes this.
  19. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road

Even if there was a good deal right now, I think I've decided to wait for the Hybrid. Since the family is sheltering at home, I've been able to drive our new Pacifica Hybrid to work ("essential" industry). I really like the powertrain and I'd bet the hybrid Wrangler is just as good or better. Too bad there's no word on if there Gladiator will get the hybrid version.

20. aldo90731

Auto News has this notice:

“All automakers will release first-quarter sales this month. Some automakers will not break out March data. Ford will release its first-quarter results on Thursday, April 2. Additionally, Volvo, Jaguar Land Rover and Mercedes-Benz will release their data later in the month.”

Sounds like these automakers are trying to “manage” the timing of the bad news.

AvengerGuy and UN4GTBL like this.