AF: Sales Bank | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sales Bank

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Adventurer55, Nov 12, 2019.

1. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Why is this just coming up now if it's been a "problem" for so long. Seems like a few dealers are getting pissy for no reason when the inventory is lower then this time last year

Tony K and wolfsblood07 like this.
  2. awolb69

awolb69 Well-Known Member

Nothing new or different here with the sales bank at all. All the muscle era Mopars from the '60s & '70s were either customer ordered cars or "sales bank" cars. Didn't seem like an issue back then.

3. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

This isn't the first time this has been brought up. Happened back with the 200 when dealers were forced to take a ton of them if they wanted any Wrangler allocation back before the Toledo expansion. This comes up regularly when FCA (and its predecessors) wanted to channel stuff to support a sales goal for reporting.

4. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Back then when the sales bank grew too large execs in the Employee Lease Program were allowed to turn-in their current vehicles and choose replacements from the sales bank. Usually mid year except for model year 69. Apparently the new Fuselage model sales bank grew to the point Dad was told to trade in his cars and pick “C” body replacements. We had eight different cars that year swapping them out every three months. As a kid and a car nut I always enjoyed getting different cars. Except that year. Dad’s originally ordered cars were two of my favorites he ever had.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  5. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

FCA has a bank of vehicles that are hard to move? What a surprise...cough...Fiats...cough. :p

ShawnP, willy4110, wtxiceman and 3 others like this.
  6. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

I am asking why is it an issue now and not an issue 2-3 months ago when it was happening. Inventory is back to a normal level (lower actually for most brands)

Tony K and Dave Z like this.
  7. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The timing might be this:
    FCA has said dealers are reducing inventory levels because they expect sales to drop.
    So the choice then becomes either slow the factories or keep building cars and convince dealers to take them. No idea if this is what’s happening, but it could be.

8. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

The dreaded sales bank takes me back to the late seventies. They had so many cars they leased space at the Michigan State fairgrounds. Iacocca abolished it. He said he wasn't letting the factories dictate sales. My first new vehicle came from the sales bank. 1979 Dodge W-150 4x4. My local dealer took it because he thought a farmer might like it.

9. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Yeah, Lido had a whole chapter on Chrysler’s Sales Bank in his first book.

Another reason this is just now coming out could be because FCA is now reporting sales every three months. Or because the Feds are not allowing any more cheating in the sales reports. Take your pick.

HotCarNut likes this.
  10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

It's not counted as a sale while the dealer has it. It's only counted when it's sold to an actual customer.

I suspect they were loading up on some cars due to a buildout, factory downtime, or expected strike. If you look at GM inventories before the strike, they were enormous. Once inventories reached normal, GM settled.

FCA inventories never got near that level.

Tony K likes this.
  11. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

So who was the whiny dealer?

I would give them Lime Green's in every vehicle for 2 years.

This should have stayed in-house.