AF: Sales roundup: Mopar vs Ford and GM | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sales roundup: Mopar vs Ford and GM

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

2. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

I'd be tempted to say at this point that FIAT was "dead brand walking", but it's really just kind of lying on the ground twitching at this point.

aldo90731 likes this.
  3. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

You're being far too generous and diplomatic.

I say let's send for His Holiness The Pope to say Mass over the body of the deceased...and then give the deceased a proper burial.

Volunteers to be pallbearers, anyone?:p:D

gforce2002 likes this.
  4. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

In the US, more like they're writing up the paperwork and getting the signatures of the family to pull the plug.. oof.

That's great, but it makes me wonder if the headwind is going to be that that particular high-dollar market has simply already purchased their big spendy SUVs, not just that the GM/Ford ones aren't selling. There's only so many people that can afford that expensive of a vehicle.

As for the Ford v' GM/Ram: I think the Ford is the most recent update among them, right? Newest model just came out, didn't it?

With that last paragraph and the Camry coming out on top of the Cars race, I would bet that it's both a Toyota=quality mentality thing, and a its the cheapest car in the list that isn't a tiny hatch thing too.

#4 suzq044, Oct 5, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    BASONE88 and gforce2002 like this.
  5. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

+ 1

6. WXman

WXman Active Member

For all the hell FCA has gotten from Mustang and Camaro loyalists, I find it amusing that the 12 year old body style Challenger still outsells them both, the Camaro is going away after 2023, and Ford says the Mustang will "grow in size" to more closely align with the Challenger. :D That's hilarious. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

7. romalerig

romalerig Well-Known Member

Reading that sales' report, I find myself wondering if it does or does not miss something....Is there someone who wants to help me out ?

P.S.: :D

T_690 and jorisr like this.
  8. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

It's impressive to see the Challenger doing so well. I wonder what FCA's planning to replace it? IMO, a Challenger EV with the Hellcat supercharger whine as the trademark sound would instantly become a classic. :)

What's your take about Alfa Dave? Do you think they're turning a corner?

tlc, saltydog and T_690 like this.
  9. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Alfa better turn a corner since their cars are made to handle... :)

Morty, tlc, saltydog and 1 other person like this.
  10. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Challenger still looks like a muscle car. Mustang and Camaro less so. Add that to a less usable interior for Mustang and Camaro, and that probably explains why the difference in sales. The Mustang is supposedly moving to the same platform as Explorer which I assume means an increase in size, but then I read recently that that is no longer the case. Who knows, who cares.

DC-93 likes this.
  11. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

@romalerig @Deckard_Cain

Yeah, for some reason there is no mention of Alfa when there is a lot of positive things to mention. Yet there is (deserved) negative take on Fiat. Maybe @Dave Z could give as an explanation.

If someone is watching Autoline Network then he or she may see video clip with Bob Broderdorf Jr. who is Director of Dodge Operations NA and Alfa Romeo Brand NA.

As you can see Alfa Romeo has best in class residuals and Bob is pretty much sure that they will tip JD IQS for premium car makers. That's quite achievement. Of course more can be heard in this mini interview.

I think that for premium car makers plush or upscale or boutique like dealerships are extremely important. I'm glad that Alfa guys in NA are finally realizing it. Let's say that ex FCA employee who was the sale guy was a major obstacle. Also I must say this is the one of positive things which is pushed by Mike Manley.

What's interesting to me and what went under the radar. Almost all premium car makers are posting double digit YOY quarterly sales fall. It's the same for every quarter. On the contrary Alfa has posted double digit quarterly growth for Q3 2020 and if they'll keep this momentum they will beat 2019 sales numbers which is huge achievement in the COVID affected year.

For FCA vs GM. AFAIK Alfa outsold Cadillac when it comes to number of cars sold per dealership in Q3 2020. Of course Alfa's numbers are much lower but Alfa has just 2 cars in its line up and is not well established brand which is something what's not valid for Cadillac.
    I'm pretty much sure that Alfa's sales per model and per dealership would be much better if they would offer more models. But that's something which will be fixed in short or mid term. Alfa's North American line-up could consist of models with none of them being 2/3 door Coupé and with Tonalé as the smallest one.

12. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

I guess some Cadillac salesmen taked some pills to swallow that news, lol.

Beentherebefore likes this.
  13. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

I have to live with Camaros in our rental fleet. It's getting harder to avoid them because the other drivers have been burned (actually bent out of shape) by the cramped interior. I got stuck driving a Camaro from the operations base for maintenance, and I have never been more embarrassed. A Camaro screams immaturity, the driver must be a perpetual adolescent.

Mustang still struggles to overcome its mechanical comb-over image. The styling of the coupe recalls the Mustang II with a four cylinder exhaust note to back up that image. The convertible looks better and the soft top seems natural for a low slung 3 seasons only car.

The Challenger offers AWD, and while it is the slowest Challenger, it is still plenty quick and more forgiving in nasty weather.

BASONE88, XRT2SRT, aldo90731 and 4 others like this.
  14. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

Alfa offers nothing like the Escalade. Thank goodness. Wait I take that back. They used to build huge vehicles, but lost their truck and bus operations to IVECO some time ago. The Alfa Romeo trolley busses were legendary in cities around the world.

Tony K and ScramFan like this.
  15. Deckard_Cain

Hopefully they don't give up on investing on Alfa now that there are some positive signs.

16. Deckard_Cain

Just some more food for thought. Jaguar axed the XE in the US. This might lead to an increase in sales for Alfa.

Tony K, tlc and T_690 like this.
  17. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

It might amount to a rounding error. XE has been selling even worse in the U.S. than Giulia. The Alfa outsold the XE last year 2:1, and so far this year it is around 4:1.

BASONE88 likes this.
  18. dakrt99

dakrt99 Well-Known Member

Sadly, Fiat is here to stay but Chrysler is gone in a couple of years.

aldo90731 likes this.
  19. Deckard_Cain

Considering that Alfa also does not move a lot of units, that "rounding error" might be good enough to give a nice boost for the Giulia. :)

Tony K likes this.
  20. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I crossed into Canada to visit my dad. Hadn’t been here in 7 months due to COVID.

Found out that the Fiat dealer near him has folded. It had only opened two years prior: brand-new building, all-new staff. What a waste.

Towards the end, the dealer was surviving by selling used vehicles bought at the auction. Although it was a franchised dealer, the only Fiats they had were a 2018 124 Spider Classica and a 2019 124 Spider Lusso sitting unsold in the showroom. They had stopped ordering new Fiats months ago. The entire thing is so pathetic is sad.

A Genesis dealer took up the brand-new building. Probably for peanuts.