Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saw a 2001 Neon for sale

Discussion in 'Neon' started by djd's turbo, Aug 25, 2016.

1. djd's turbo

djd's turbo Active Member

I saw a 2001 Plymouth Neon for sale on the side of the road for $700. Stopped and looked at it. Body and interior in good shape. Manual tranny. 338k miles--ouch! Talked to the owner. She says it is more highway miles. Started it up--no problem. Sounded good. Looked under the hood-looked to be in good shape. Clutch seemed 'loose'. Owner said they just installed a new clutch--it's a 'racing' clutch. Check engine light came on when I started it--stayed on a minute or two then went off but came back on a few minutes later. The owner said she took it to a parts store and they told her it was a 'sensor'. She said they bought it new--it does have a local dealer's sticker on the back. Thoughts??

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

High-miles, but a good body/interior is a plus.
    It will almost certainly need some work and money put into it, but a solid unibody is a good foundation.
    There are plenty of used parts around for these.
    May need an O2 sensor?
    Drive it for any vibrations, noises, shakes or pulls.

3. djd's turbo

That's what I was thinking too. Solid foundation and also O2 sensor. Lady said she gets about 20 mpg but she really didn't keep track of it---I really don't think she has a clue about that. Problem is that it's not tagged or insured so I really can't drive it. She lives on a really, really quiet short side road so I might see if I can at least drive it on that road. She said it has been in her family since new. Might offer her $350-400. She said $550 minimum. We'll see. Thanks for the insight. Anyone else?

4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

5. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Few of these even come up for sale any more. Even with the high miles it sounds better than a lot of them I see for sale.

6. djd's turbo

Went by there today and it is gone. Hope someone enjoys it!!