AF: Saw something quite concerning at the local dealer today! | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saw something quite concerning at the local dealer today!

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by LouJC, May 16, 2020.

1. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

We were looking at Gladiators and Wranglers on the lot of the local dealer today. One of the Wranglers had a sign inside that this vehicle was quarantined until 5/17/20 due to possible exposure to Covid19. Very strange! Did someone who worked on the line this Jeep came off of get diagnosed? It would seem so. Are they obligated to inform a potential buyer, after that date expires?

2. wolfsblood07

wolfsblood07 Active Member

Crazy! Like you can catch the flu from a car. The reaction to this virus is so over the top it should be studied in the future to learn about how not to react to viruses.

3. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

My guess would be dealer employee.

You can catch viruses from any surface for a period of time based on environmental factors. That's true for flu, or coronaviruses, which are related to many common cold viruses, which we know are "caught" from surfaces.

dmcdonald, JKU12, joewho and 8 others like this.
  4. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

It seems to me that the dealership would have just parked that particular vehicle, and any others that were under quarantine, in a back lot somewhere out of view of the general public until after the quarantine period had expired. ;)

But I did find this one story where someone had their vehicle that needed to be serviced by a dealership, put under quarantine because the vehicle owner worked in the healthcare field.

"“They (the dealership) informed me that because of where my wife works the car would have to be quarantined for three days,” Wallis said.

He said he was informed that technicians did not want to work on his wife’s vehicle because she is a personal support worker in a long-time care facility where there have been recent cases of COVID-19."

Coronavirus: Ontario health care worker’s car quarantined by auto dealer (at https://globalnews.ca/news/6880524/coronavirus-health-care-worker-ford-car-quarantined/ )

K-9, tlc, Zagnut27 and 1 other person like this.
  5. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

Citation84 likes this.
  6. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Actually, from what I've been reading, the virus is easily killed off with exposure to sunlight's UV rays. Leave the vehicle in question out in the midday sun for a few hours (maybe turn it facing in the opposite direction once during the exposure) and it'll probably be safe to work on. That may not meet the specific safety requirements in your particular State, however.

FreeLantz, Tony K, tlc and 1 other person like this.
  7. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Active Member

The virus can live up to 3 days on plastic surfaces. It's probably easier to just park vehicles for 3 days to be sure they're safe than have someone wipe surfaces and possibly miss one and put it back in rotation right away.

freshforged, joewho, Ryan and 3 others like this.
  8. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I work in healthcare, and I’ve been around Covid positive patients. Lots of them. I now drive only my Mustang to work, and drive our Audi to take the kids to school and for everything else. It’s not a bad idea to err on the side of caution, especially with this virus. It’s no joke, that’s for sure.

That being said, I agree with @06PTElectricBlue in that it probably would’ve been best to put the vehicle out of view of the public for a while, unless their intent is to show that they’re being extra cautious and taking the customer’s safety very seriously. Brownie points can be beneficial, especially now when people are scared.

Tony K, joewho, gforce2002 and 3 others like this.
  9. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

We use UV lights in the hospital to sanitize some of our isolation rooms. It’s especially useful for clostridium difficile (C Diff) because it can kill the spores, but we use it to sanitize the Covid rooms too (along with other disinfectants). They use UV lights to sanitize the N95 masks too for reuse (X1).

Tony K, K-9, Beentherebefore and 2 others like this.
  10. 1999 White C5 Coupe

1999 White C5 Coupe Well-Known Member

Since you were on the lot of the local dealer, why didn’t you ask one of the employees for an explanation?

Tony K and CDJSalesPro like this.
  11. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

They were not open! It seemed to me they were trying to protect people who work there which makes sense.

1999 White C5 Coupe likes this.
  12. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

They also probably do not want the crap sued out of them if someone dies from exposure to the virus. Until a check is written and one signs the bill of sale it's their vehicle, and if they feel it's been exposed to covid they can elect not to allow anyone near it until they feel it's safe. With that said, they should've put it in the back. People need, it seems to re-educate themselves on the difference between public and private properties. A friend once came in my house and lit up a smoke, I asked him to kindly not do that as I no longer smoked. He was going to anyways and I asked him to leave. He said I was violating his rights. I told him as long as my name is on the deed and I'm paying the bills you have no say in the rules here. We aren't friends anymore. Lol

Zagnut27, Tony K and Bob Lincoln like this.
  13. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

FWIW, we went to a Nissan dealer to look at a ProMaster that was offered at a bargain price (off-rental).

They routed everyone from the empty sales floor around into Service, which was packed full of people. No soap in the bathrooms. No disinfecting at all. We chose not to wait.

14. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

I don't blame you for leaving. You have people out there that don't even believe it's a real deal. But, since it's been several generations since the last major health crisis, polio, and social media, it's no wonder things are the way they are. We're on our own to try and protect ourselves it seems.

Tony K, tlc, joewho and 3 others like this.
  15. aldo90731

Perhaps the sign is for the burglars

Adventurer55 likes this.
  16. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

We tried coming in two different entrances and were told to go around the building both times. They didn't even ask why we were there. They were all just sitting around, laughing over coffee... maybe it was break time, or maybe it was just the usual car salesman attitude. Either way, they left all the doors open but had signs on and people just inside to send everyone back out. (No sanitizing at all, btw... was glad I had semi-disposable gloves since the washroom lacked soap, too.)

My usual dealer may charge more, but I guess I'll try some hardball negotiation.

(One more thing - the dealer would not tell my wife over email how much taxes and fees would be. That gave me a bad feeling about them from the start. We all know that it means nothing to advertise a car at $500 less, but have $1200 in dealer fees...documentation, printing, sterilizing, mandatory stripe package...)

17. aldo90731

Nissan dealers have their own layer of issues these days, with sales falling 20% before COVID-19 even hit.

18. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

Lol I thought of that! What an anti theft device!!!

Zagnut27 and aldo90731 like this.
  19. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Glass blocks nearly 100% of UV-B rays, especially windshields, and some of UV-A rays. Tint blocks some. So this is not a good method to rely on, especially since no one has a good idea of how much exposure would work.

#19 Bob Lincoln, May 17, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
    Zagnut27 and rmtodd like this.
  20. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I had my car at the dealer a couple of weeks ago for an emissions recall, and they started out by wrapping the steering wheel, shift lever and seat in thin plastic sheeting.
    They left it to me to dispose of it when the car was ready.